Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Print Shop 22 for Vista

by BridgetW / February 4, 2008 8:16 PM PST

I bought a new computer a few weeks ago with Vista pre-installed; I also bought Print Shop 22. In order to run Print Shop I have to use the program compatbility wizard; which I wouldn't mind doing if I had the software prior to my computer purchase. It just bugs me that a brand new program won't run on my brand new computer! Anyway, Print Shop 23 will be Vista compatible and will be available Oct. '08. My question is simply one of curiosity...would any of you wait and purchase version 23 or would you be fine with using the compatibilty option?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Print Shop 22 for Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Print Shop 22 for Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That depends...
by John.Wilkinson / February 5, 2008 2:45 AM PST

They're definitely slow of the block at updating for Vista support, waiting nearly two years after Vista's release! (That would leave me uneasy, questioning the quality of their product support.) Regardless, I would purchase it provided they guarantee that the "patch" they mention on their website will make it fully compatible with Vista, with no lost functionality or performance. I'd also inquire about the cost to upgrade to version 23 when it's released...if this version does have Vista issues they should, in my opinion, offer you a discount or free upgrade to correct those problems which, at this point in time, should not exist.

Collapse -
Didn't work for me
by TexMommy / February 9, 2008 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: That depends...

I have used Print Shop since Version 1.0 came out (!), so there was no question when I got my Vista-equipped computer that I would want to load Print Shop 22. The program loaded okay BUT it disabled my DVD-RW drive. I had to uninstall and then do a system restore. I have contacted Broderbund about this, but they were of no help. I'm very disappointed, as I do a lot of print work and really like the program, but I will have to live without it, at least for now. I'd be curious to know if others have had similar problems.

Collapse -
Print Shop 22
by BridgetW / February 9, 2008 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Didn't work for me

I ended up returning the program (I hadn't yet opened it), but I'm so disappointed! Print Shop is one of my favorite programs and I just couldn't wait to install it in my new (unfortunately Vista O/S) computer. I guess I'll have to wait until October until version 23 comes out. UNLESS, I find a program I like just as well. Then maybe I'll quit using Broderbund. Anyone know of a good program to use for making cards, business cards, labels, letterheads, etc?

Collapse -
Me too!!!
by suzannesenn / February 19, 2008 11:08 AM PST

I installed PS 22 on my new laptop with vista and it did the same thing to me with the DVD-Rom drive!! I thought it was because of itunes so I called Dell support and they walked me through a ton of modifications. Now I am finding out that it was because I installed PS 22!
Can you please tell me what you meant by the "restore" you did to your computer? I've already uninstalled PS.

Collapse -
by TexMommy / February 20, 2008 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Me too!!!

If you go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore, you can restore your system to an earlier point without deleting any data files, etc. I had to do so to get my DVD drive to work again.

Collapse -
Thank you
by suzannesenn / February 20, 2008 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Restoring

Thanks so much for the help. I tried the restore, but it still did not recognize my dvd-rom drive. I also restarted the computer in hopes that would help. We uninstalled the drive, then restarted the computer hoping that it would automatically restore it. It restored the drive, but not the software, so I am back at square one. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Vista and PrintShop 22
by bgstudiosupply / February 27, 2008 12:04 AM PST

Thanks, I will try the same thing. I have found about 100 threads from people having the same issue.

Collapse -
print shop 22 problem with vista
by nancyngl / September 4, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

I also had the same problem. It completely wrecked my
computer. I finally had to reboot my whole system. Tech support would fix it & a day later it would be the same old problems. It also caused my system to not shut down by itself. It took me quite a while to figure out what the problem was though. I assumed
after downloading the vista patch, it would work fine & didn't think
a reputable software progsram could make such a disaster.
I love print shop though so I am thinking about buying the 23 version but am still sceptible. Has anyone bought it & tried it?

Collapse -
Problems with printshop 23
by pellicell / January 3, 2009 5:52 AM PST

I have always like the print shop program and have been using it for years with no problems until I installed the printshop 23 version. It too has cause me to have problems with my system. Plus the program won't upload images unless they are the ones available online. The program stalls and says "not responding"?? Then it freezes. I have tried to re-enstall. Got no help from Broderbund

Collapse -
Agree, 23.1 is a mess
by pleiades357 / August 15, 2011 2:37 AM PDT

Seems ThePrintShop has always been a bit glitchchy... this is by far the worst, I can't even use it to adapt old projects much less design new ones... and I agree, both broderbund and encore have been less than helpful, the forum monitor (closed, now I know why) was actually really rude he/she misunderstood my responding information, told me off, no apology (also angry when I pointed out some of the instructions given did not match windows 7, my info agreed with widows site). Fonts change size as I type (going from 12 to 72), it can't upload, it can't copy, type some text and copy it it changes the font size... takes for ever to save anything... ask it to print one sheet, it prints one, ask it to print two, it prints 6, 7 9.... they say "it is a know problem", end of help... it would take a long time to tell what doesn't work
I've been trying out other free software on cnet...
going to have to phase out TPS, pity, I have years of projects to convert
NOVA publisher did not update, same thing, years of projects lost.... would not buy them again, and MS publisher is too limited for my general printing (can't do small envelopes, can't print a few labels with out lots of work)
looking for something that does what I need and will be there years later so I don't have to redo everything, sigh

Collapse -
Print Shop 20 screwed up computer that has Vista, too.
by justaminute / February 13, 2008 1:23 PM PST

I have print shop 22 but prefer print shop 20 and when I loaded it with computer with Vista, what a mess. Had to try to restore and worse yet my partitioned backup drive disappeared. I couldn't use the DVD/CD drive!
I went to their site and didn't even see Print Shop updates or anything. Glad so many people posted about PS 22, so I won't waste my time trying to install it. Decided to find a place for old computer to do my Printshop projects on.
BTW had similar problems with Word Perfect 8. I know it's an old program but I know how to use it and it served my needs.

Collapse -
Vista and Print Shop 22: DOES NOT COMPUTE
by abbydmd / February 27, 2008 1:40 AM PST

I installed my new printshop 22 and then the patch for vista from the Broderbund web site and my brand new HP Pavillion Notebook computer slowly went to pieces. I had multiple restarts and the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH" became my constant companion. I spent literally hours on line "chatting" with the HP support people trying to figure out why my computer was so balky and kept having these random hardware and software problems. I must say, HP support was great about it. I too did a system restore and started over. Now without Printshop 22 my computer runs great. I had to resort to buying Print Artist 22 which is a poor substitute for Print Shop but better than nothing.

Collapse -
Do they even run any beta tests?????
by TexMommy / February 27, 2008 1:56 AM PST

I really have to wonder...this seems to be a pervasive problem, so why didn't they work the kinks out during development? I will be afraid to load PS 23 when it hits the market...considering I started with Print Shop 1.0, with a prehistoric little dot matrix printer (!), it's kind of sad that they've come to this. Has anyone found a comparable product to recommend? You mentioned Print Master--what's it like?

Collapse -
Print Master as an Alternative: NOT
by abbydmd / February 27, 2008 2:40 AM PST

Print Master is ok but not something I would really recommend. The problem is after being used to the ease of searching for graphics in Print Shop, the Print Master search is maddening. It has a bunch of catagories and to find something you have to search separately in each one. For instance, if you want a graphic of the sun, you have to search in nature, weather, travel,space and science fiction and whatever other catagory sounds like it might have a sun image in it. The selection of images is rather limited. Alot of cartoony ones and not many of the classy images you get in Print Shop. What is nice about it is that it is all self contained ie: you do not need an internet connection. But again, the selection of images and the search feature is just very frustrating. It was, however, the only program of its kind that was made for vista and it runs well on the computer and doesn't foul things up.

Collapse -
Print Artist
by BridgetW / February 27, 2008 5:07 PM PST

I was planning on loading the Print Shop 22 and then the patch, but then I found out that PS23 would be out in October, so I decided to wait. BUT, just like you I had bought a new computer (my first in 10 years) and I was so excited about updating my old favorite programs. Also, like you, I ended up purchasing Print Artist 22. I've never used Print Artist and I still haven't opened the box. I want to make sure I REALLY want it! What do you think about it? Did you get the Platinum Edition?

Collapse -
Print Master 22
by abbydmd / February 28, 2008 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Print Artist

I got the platinum edition. I wouldn't buy it again, no. But, it is better than nothing. If funds are an issue, I would save my money for the new Print Shop 23. If I needed something on a Vista computer to do labels and signs and such with out a big need for classy graphics, I would get Print Artist. If I used alot of my own pictures, for example, I could easily create projects with Print Artist. It has a simple photo editing feature that I have used a little but it is not as nice as the one in Print Shop. It comes with a separate disc with more graphics and fonts in it but you have to search it separately and search in each catagory for what you are looking for. It is not convenient.

Collapse -
So, will you buy Print Shop 23??
by TexMommy / February 28, 2008 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Print Master 22

After what we've all been experiencing, I have to admit I'm skittish about installing the new version when it comes out! Just curious--do the rest of you plan on taking a chance with it?

Collapse -
Yes, I will
by abbydmd / February 28, 2008 6:09 AM PST

...but I'll send it back in a heart beat if it messes up my computer now that I know what a bad program can do!

Collapse -
thank you everyone
by pc_tech2008 / March 14, 2008 12:52 AM PDT

Thank you all for sharing your comment on print shop vs windows vista.
my comment is do not buy any software when it was made for xp and below. vista is a whole new environment you cannot trust any patches that the manufacturer post for dl. As you use your new vista pc I am sure you will add in software of various type. You may be ok now in the future you never know if these new software you add in may trigger problem with ps. PS has been my favorite software since the day pc was pc with 360k floppy drive and cga. I have also used or seen many other program that can do the same but I ended up with ps it allow you to do beyond what other program can do if your creative mind is active. Print master is a lower cheaper budget version of ps it is ok. for people who have a vista pc it is recommended for any software build for vista but not for vista ok or vista compatible. I hope the new version 23 of ps will continue to have the custom border and you can print the card cut out mark for card envelope like they had in ps for win95. I highly recommend ps compare to other program that does the same but please check for review before you shop do not jump into ordering the software at release date. For previous owner of any version of ps there is a chance you can get it cheaper thru the manufacturer or sometimes if store have it on sale the price is cheaper either way shop around and check for review before you but. It is noticed that vista software is coming out into the market very slow. Also I am also noticing at boot up and shut down vista takes a long time for a pc to come up or shut down ....does anyone also experiencing this or it is just me.

I recommend and I don't care how cheap the software is do not buy any software made for xp and install it onto a vista machine unless you know how to troubleshoot it. vista is built on a whole new enviroment and I think with html programming language if I am not wrong (please correct me if I am wrong on this one).

Software which is about to change version will go on sale sometimes free after rebate deal will be seen. this goes for hardware too. if you notice any hardware or software that sales are going on and good deal is appearing all over the place this is hint oh oh something is changing new version is coming out.

I hope this ps 23 will bring back all those nice cartoon character they once had in ps deluxe.

hope this helps

Collapse -
new topic: how 2 do full system backup in vista
by pc_tech2008 / March 16, 2008 1:45 PM PDT

can someone post instruction on how to do a full system back up in vista home preminum?

I cannot find anything in control panel/backup-restore menu

Collapse -
Don't start a new topic here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 1:47 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.