Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Print Screen key Won't capture screenshots

by 2Pacalypze / March 16, 2005 7:57 AM PST

Hi,
My print screen key, won't capture screenshots, I have tried restarting, and at the moment I am scanning computer for any viruses, malicous scripts, Can anyone tell me what is wrong? And How can I fix this problem? When I hit the key, nothing happens, but when I open Microsoft Paint, and hit the key again, the printer menu comes up, the menu where you command the printer to print something.

Thank you in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Print Screen key Won't capture screenshots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Print Screen key Won't capture screenshots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to paste the screen shot
by glb613 / March 16, 2005 8:37 AM PST

into a program. You can use paint or Word. Is that how you were trying to get it to work?

Collapse -
Print screen.
by Papa Echo / March 16, 2005 8:59 AM PST

Print Screen to "Print" the shot unto the Clip Board . Then Ctrl+V or Edit>Paste to 'Paint', 'Word', etc.

Collapse -
re: Print Screen key Won't capture screenshots
by justinpleasant15 / March 17, 2005 2:34 AM PST

win xp doesn't really do screenshots.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It works well on my XP machine
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 2:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Print Screen works for me in XP...

I captured and pasted them in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook (HTML format) and Adobe Photoshop.

Collapse -
re: Print Screen key Won't capture screenshots
by Themisive / March 17, 2005 3:13 AM PST

I use screenshots a lot of the time, to illustrate various aspects of some applcations I run, often though, if the screenshot is of part of a computer game, you may well have to enable screenshots in the games.ini file.

I'm not going to suggest how to do it, as they do tend to be quite diffrent, what is always the same is that the game's help (or Readme) file will tell you how to do it.

As for printscreen not working in XP, I've certainly never heard of that, has anyone else because it always works ok for me, again it could be a wrong piece of code in the win.ini file.

Collapse -
win xp doesn't really do screenshots.
by jlsibley / August 18, 2011 2:05 AM PDT

That's a load, use the print screen option in XP everyday.

Collapse -
Print Screen working excellently in WXP, all you have to do
by gapch125 / March 17, 2005 5:03 AM PST

is open Word, then hold down the control key and press printscreen. Then hold down the control key and press the letter v key.

Printscreen shows up instantly.

Collapse -
Problem Fixed
by 2Pacalypze / March 17, 2005 9:42 AM PST

Problem has been fixed, I reinstalled keyboard drivers, and now it works...

Thanks for help

Collapse -
PrintScreen
by Schietel / October 11, 2005 5:06 AM PDT

A freeware program called "Print Now" used to do the trick for OSes up to Windows 98SE, but as I recall it won't work with Windows XP, unfortunately. The PrtScrn/paste and print works, but I'd love to have a copy of Print Now that works with Win XP.

Collapse -
Screen Shot Difficulty
by Jill_Diane / January 28, 2009 1:52 AM PST

I too had difficulty with screen shots on my compaq laptop. After trying a variety of key combinations, I discovered holding Fn and pt sc simultaneous did the trick. No where on the internet did I find that combination listed, but it's working on my laptop.

Collapse -
A couple of good links to follow...
by tallin / January 28, 2009 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Screen Shot Difficulty
Collapse -
Hold down function key
by gdc11 / October 5, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

Thanks to the user who posted that with their new laptop, the Print Screen functionality required holding down the function key. This was the same with my new Dell Latitude E6400.

Collapse -
thanks!
by themarketsmith / November 11, 2009 11:38 PM PST

Jill, this worked perfectly!

Collapse -
Print Screen
by Cibr / January 22, 2011 11:51 PM PST

Hello:

We all know how to print screen, been doing it for years. It was your advise to hold down the FN key that worked. Thank you.

Collapse -
Screen Shot Difficulty
by Blackbagskull / July 1, 2011 1:20 PM PDT

THANKS Jill =)

Collapse -
Same error, different fix
by starfish422 / February 10, 2009 10:56 AM PST

Hi, I know you've resolved your issue already. Just wanted to share that I was having a similar issue on my Microsoft Wireless keyboard (after having used the button successfully on previous attempts), and realized I needed to hit the F Lock key to enable to function keys. Happy I too have Windows XP and have never had an OS-based issue with the print screen function.

Cheers,
Katie

Collapse -
It worked - Thanks!
by kitikat0 / June 11, 2010 7:29 AM PDT

Thanks sooooo much for the suggestion to just use control + V after pressing the print screen button. This has been happening to me recently. The button would work again after restarting the computer. Unfortunately, I always had a lot of screens open each time and it was time consuming and frustrating to have to close and open everything all the time. I looked here before contacting the IT people and the solution worked great. Thanks. REALLY!

Collapse -
Print Screen for a Dell E6400
by timmcnamara1 / October 25, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

what worked for me was: Fn + Alt keys, then hit F11(Prnt Scrn) button. Then I was able to paste it to a Word doc. Worked fine.

Collapse -
Same symptoms, but different problem
by hlilly / July 5, 2011 12:45 PM PDT

I also had a Print Screen that wouldn't work. I was capturing screen shots from an XWin program on my PC and pasting them into Paint. When the XWin window had focus, the Print Screen would not work. When Paint had focus, the Print Screen worked fine. So, you might try changing focus to a different window, then try the Print Screen again. I could still capture the image of the XWin window; it just didn't have focus.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.