Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Press any key to option ROM message

by everydaylife / December 29, 2009 11:13 PM PST

HI ,

I i have a Hp PC.Recently i did a format of my pc and installed a fresh copy of windows XP.it was Ok for one day.Then when i powerd on the PC it showed me the black screen where it says :sorry for the incovenience....

safe mode
safe mode cmd...
safe mode networking..

last known good configuration
Start windows normally

i have tried both of the last options but windows dont start it takes me to the initial screen of HP and displays for one sec this :
"Press any key to option ROM message"

then it goes again to the screen "sorry for the incovenience...".

I have tried entering safe mode but it takes me again to the initial screen with the HP logo

Please help. what did i do wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Press any key to option ROM message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Press any key to option ROM message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / December 30, 2009 12:00 AM PST

Sounds like a hardware failure. Step 1 is to find out if HP offers any kind of hardware diagnostic program, and if so, to run that.

If not, I would start by getting a can of compressed air, and blowing out all the fans on the system. You might also want to reapply some thermal paste/grease to the CPU. If that's an XP system, it's probably a bit old and crusty by now.

If the system continues to reboot even after all that, the power supply is likely bad, though in the past, I have seen symptoms like this turn out to be the motherboard or CPU. So if there's no hardware diagnostic program to help you pin down exactly what's wrong, and blowing out the fans and running the system with the case off doesn't help... I'd replace the power supply, and if that doesn't do the trick, you're looking at a new system. You can replace the motherboard or CPU, but it tends to cost more than it's worth investing into an old system unless it has some kind of sentimental value to you.

Collapse -
ROM mesages
by everydaylife / December 30, 2009 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like

Jimmy thanks for the reply.

I did some research over internet.
I don't think it is hardware,becouse it was Ok before the format why after the format it is not working.
If it is a hardware failure why did it show after the format why not before when it was full of viruses and really messy .

I am thinking maybe my windows Xp disk is not ok.Or this is not the problem?

Please i need help for this

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / December 30, 2009 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: ROM mesages

Well, it can never hurt to run a diagnostic, but if things worked before formatting but not after, that raises a few additional questions.

1: Did you install all the drivers?
2: Did you download and install all the security updates, including SP3?
3: What have you been doing about viruses/malware post-format?

Collapse -
Answers
by everydaylife / December 30, 2009 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Well

I can't run a diagnostic tool becouse it does not prompt me to do that.

1.I have installed all the drivers exept the network card becouse i have a USB modem
2.For 1 day i can't download all the upadates becouse i have a 512Kbit/s connection but automatic updates were on.
3.i had an antivirus tha did nothing thats why i decided to format it (i had AVG free edition).

Collapse -
I dont understand
by everydaylife / December 30, 2009 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Answers

I don't understand what means the message:

"Press any key to option ROM message"

Collapse -
The message probably says
by peacox / December 30, 2009 12:39 PM PST
In reply to: I dont understand

"Press any key to boot from CD" and probably means the MBR on the Hard disk is corrupt.

Collapse -
MBR
by everydaylife / December 30, 2009 6:10 PM PST

So if the prroblem is with the MBR
how can i repair it?

Collapse -
re: problem
by Kees Bakker / December 30, 2009 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: MBR

Better first tell the EXACT message, so we can give the best advice possible.
At the moment you're guessing that the opinion of someone who only guesses what the error message is, is right. But without that info, he might just as well be wrong. So help us to help you by providing the right information.

Kees

Collapse -
The Exact Message
by everydaylife / December 30, 2009 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: re: problem

The first Post decribes the problem.

Can you help me reading the first post.
The situation was this.
I have a 80 GB hard disk.I have a 40 GB C:/ partition and 40 GB D:/
I have formatted only the C:/ so i didn't touch the D.

After a day it started the problem of the first post.

Collapse -
A series of questions
by peacox / December 31, 2009 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: The Exact Message

to clarify please.
When you reinstalled windows did you use a windows install CD or an HP recovery set?

Are you familiar with using the recovery consol which is a DOS like environment available on a windows install CD?

Have you run any bootable diagnostic software to test your memory or your harddisk?

Collapse -
Good questions.
by Kees Bakker / January 1, 2010 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: A series of questions

And the answer to them from the OP might change my advice below.

Kees

Collapse -
I don't have HP recovery disk
by everydaylife / January 1, 2010 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: A series of questions

Thanks for your ideas.

I don't have any HP disks.How can i download a for free HP recovery disk.(I am new to this kind of disks)
I used a copy of windows XP disk.
I will perform a full format of the harddisk and then install the xp again.But i don't know how to repair the Bios or run a Bootable diagnostic software.(more info on this task please)

Am i right?Can i do this or this could mess up things.

Collapse -
Oops.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 8:24 PM PST

That 'copy' of XP.

Where did that come from?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: exaxt message
by Kees Bakker / January 1, 2010 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: The Exact Message

The messages from your first post are rather clear. Windows won't start for some reason.

But about halfway you quote a second message "Press any key to option ROM message", which is ununderstandable, even if I assume that in fact it's only "Press any key to option ROM". Anyway, it seems a BIOS message, that might be related to the cause of your Windows XP problem.

Given that you very recently reinstalled Windows XP for some reason, my advice is:
- Reset the BIOS
- Do a clean install of Windows XP from your HP supplied recovery CD.

If that doesn't help (enough):
- Backup your c: and d: drives to an external hard disk using some Linux live CD
- Download and burn a DBAN CD and use that to totally erase the hard disk
- Then again do a clean install of Windows XP from your HP supplied recovery CD.

All parts of this advice may fail due to hardware issues. But this way you're sure it's hardware and not software. Then have your machine repaired.

Kees

Collapse -
Recovery disk
by everydaylife / January 1, 2010 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: Re: exaxt message

HI Kess,

When you say to reset the bios ,how can i do this?

After this you say to perform a clean install from the HP recovery disk,can i do this from an another copy of windows XP (not HP)?

Thanks for your help
Regards

Collapse -
XP Copy
by everydaylife / January 1, 2010 8:31 PM PST
In reply to: Recovery disk

I took it from my school friend.

That copy is tested me friend tested it, he told me that it works on every PC .

Is this the problem?

Collapse -
Reply to (NT) XP Copy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 8:38 PM PST

I had to start a new sub-thread here because the Forum restricts the length of sub-threads to 12 or so replies.

Your reply here about XP Copy refers.

You asked if that is a problem. Short answer, Yes. If you are using that XP then it is a Pirated version, and Forum Policy forbids us from helping with pirated software.

This discussion has to stop here. It is likely that this pirated copy of XP is what is causing your problems, and you need to sort that out by moving to a genuine version of XP. That means either contacting HP for the XP CD and Drivers CD appropriate to your system, or purchasing a full retail version of XP.

Sorry. Discussion locked.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.