Phones forum

General discussion

prepaid smartphones and unlocked cell phones

by girlpower7 / October 30, 2010 5:25 AM PDT

Hello. I have a question about prepaid smart phones. I am wanting to upgrade my phone. I currently have a Nokia 6010, that was under contract with AT&T, but contract expired. Am now on a month-to-month contract with AT&T.

Could I use my Sims card from my Nokia phone,in a prepaid smartphone and continue to use the AT&T network? Also, I would like to know which unlocked phones could I use my Sims card in?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: prepaid smartphones and unlocked cell phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: prepaid smartphones and unlocked cell phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by lola4479 / November 2, 2010 2:16 AM PDT

Yes you can use your sim card to other unlock phone and there are a lot of smartphone out there i guess you just have to check one. Here you can visit intouchsmartcards so you can check which one you like.

Collapse -
prepaid smartphones and unlocked cell phones by girlpower 7
by girlpower7 / November 2, 2010 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: hello

Thanks lola4479 for the information. Really appreciate it. Have a good day!

Collapse -
Know what you're getting into
by fondy / November 4, 2010 9:51 AM PDT

All modern cell phones have a code that tells the carrier what make and model it is. You should be able to use the old SIM in a new smartphone but if it's a phone for which AT&T normally requires a data plan, they will eventually add that charge onto your monthly bill as soon as they detect the change. I'm not sure how AT&T handles this type of situation when it comes to prepaid service, or if they even offer prepaid service for smartphones. Just know that using an old SIM won't allow you to fool them into letting you slide with regard to any mandatory smartphone data plan.

Regarding which phones to look for, stay away from phones designed for CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint - they're not compatible. Also, AT&T's 3G data network operates on a different radio frequency band from T-mobile.

Be very cautious and make sure the phone you're interested in is indeed unlocked before you buy it. Just because it's being sold at full retail price doesn't guarantee that the phone is unlocked (the iPhone is a great example).

Collapse -
Know what you're getting into post from fondy
by girlpower7 / November 5, 2010 2:41 AM PDT

Thank you fondy for telling me this! I have done some research on unlocked phones and there is alot of information to know. I can guarantee you, no matter how much we consumers try to get around dealing with the mega-corporate phone companies, they will still find a way to stick to us price-wise! You can't win for losing.

Take care.

Collapse -
Using sim cards in unlocked cellphones
by musicman195959 / November 5, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

I have a prepaid plan with Tmobile and i have used my sim card in unlocked cellphones with no problem. You may want to google Tmobile and check out their prepaid plans. They have a gold member feature where when you buy $100 worth of refill cards,your unused minutes last you a whole year. I love this feature. Good luck.

Collapse -
Question to Musicman
by Chigal48 / November 5, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

I have a T-mobile prepaid plan and recently bought the Samsung T139....I hate this phone. No camera, no client email....a lot of features missing. Can I swap the Sim card from the Samsung into another phone by another provider, let's say Virgin? The reason is that I find the cost of buying a phone from the prepaids is cheaper (usually less than $29) than buying the phone outright.

Are prepaid phones unlocked? How would I get an unlocked phone and swap Sims?

Collapse -
by musicman195959 / November 6, 2010 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Question to Musicman

Try these two sites, and Cell2Get. They have a great selction of affordable phones. I have just ordered a unlocked Nokia 3220 for $54 and i also bought a case for it for $0.74. Sometimes you have to spend a little more to get a good phone. Please let me know how things turn out. Good luck.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 6, 2010 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Question to Musicman

By default, prepaid phones in the US are locked. Unlocking is not very difficult.

Collapse -
by musicman195959 / November 6, 2010 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: prepaid

You can also try CellPhone Shop. They are really cool too. I simply google "where to buy a unlocked phone". Take care.

Collapse -
musicman 195959 response to girlpower 7
by girlpower7 / November 6, 2010 3:03 AM PDT

Thank you for this valuable information. I will check it out. I have to say, everyone on this site has been very responsive, courteous and helpful. Have a good day and take care.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.