TVs & Home Theaters forum

Pre-wired home but not sure how to set up?

by Czechm8d / October 14, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

We just moved into a home that is pre-wired for speakers. The dining room has two buiilt-in speakers in the ceiling. The living room has speaker wires coming out of the wall. The family room has two rear speaker wires (rear for a 5.1 surround setup based on location) coming out of the wall. The patio has two speakers attached to the wall. A bunch of wires go into a closet under the stairs and are attached to a "Realistic High Power Stereo Speaker Control Center" model 40-136.

The room where the TV is (family room mentioned above) will have a 5.1 surround setup in it (once I buy some speakers). The room is near, but not immediately adjacent to the closet with the speaker control box. I also don't know where the wires from the presumed rear 5.1 speakers in the family room go (I assume into the same little closet).

What do I need to set this up? I'd love to have one receiver that hooks to all these speakers (5.1 in one room, 2 each in 3 other rooms) and to my computer network.

Where should I physically put everything? I realize I may need to run some wires if I go that route. Or I could get a wireless adapter for a network-capable receiver, but then how do I connect it to my TV in the other room? Or I could get two receivers (one for family room, 5.1 set up) and another for the closet and the other rooms.

Novice here. How do I best do this so it's most convenient to use in the long run?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pre-wired home but not sure how to set up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pre-wired home but not sure how to set up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
your kidding right
by Myhappyfingers / October 14, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

the only thing i can suggest is get one speaker and one by one attach it to all the different wires around the home
then get all the wires in the cupbaord and one by one connect them to an audio output that is playing music
then you can identify where that wire goes and label it "left outside patio"

the first thing you need to know is where all the wires go so you can work out where they need to connect to the back of control center

you can easily connect all the speakers to one receiver but you need to understand that whatever your playing will be heard everywhere all at once, in all rooms of the house with speakers, that could be a little weird

im not sure what your speaker control center does other than it may be to isolate these different areas

its kinda hard to help someone wire a home threatre setup over the internet you really need to be there onsite

good luck

Collapse -
Can/would one connect 5.1 to receiver using 1 RCA cable?
by Czechm8d / October 14, 2012 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: your kidding right

So I've done more digging. The 5.1 speaker wire all stays in the family room. The weird thing is, they have an RCA cable going from the family room to the closet where all the other speaker wire goes. Would that mean they had two receivers, or could one connect a 5.1 setup to a receiver in another room via a single RCA outlet?

Collapse -
I can help you set this up, but....
by Pepe7 / October 15, 2012 12:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
by capone59 / October 15, 2012 11:58 AM PDT

Call an AV installer (please not best buy) to take a look at what you have, your application is more for advanced techs but no need for an expert.

Lets see how I can help you though:

Is there any speaker locations in the living room other than wire coming out of wall? Wires coming out of any wall: are they at a light switch hight? (could be the volume adjuster for that room)

Best bet is to use a low voltage toner and tone each wire from room location to the stair case and other locations which wire are coming out of walls. I have seen many homes/business applicants jumping speaker to speaker so be alert if you do not get a tone. The toner would work if a speaker is connected!

Yes, with 1 receiver you need an amp from Zone 2 of receiver to the speaker control center in which case the receiver needs to be 7.1 in order to listen to 5.1 in TV room and have the other speakers work.

The family room appears to me that the front 3 speakers are wired from the TV side, but it does not make sense that you have 2 speakers in family room but not an extra 2-3 near TV location or any speaker wires to put the receiver there and have the other 3 wired in. Wires in the Living Room have no speakers but wires? More clarification please. (Didn't mention a sub, I know)

Again TONE EVERY WIRE AND LABEL EACH WIRE. TAKE NOTE ON PAPER THAN PLEASE COME BACK WITH EVERY WIRE DETAIL. Than more people can help and I will 100% do my best to walk you threw the set-up. Do this before you buy any equipment.

As for your coaxal RCA, find the other end.

Collapse -
Thanks will gather more info
by Czechm8d / October 20, 2012 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Honestly

Thank you for the information. I have nothing that has speaker wire or banana plug inputs in the back of it that would allow me to test out the speakers and label them. We just have a crappy little CD player radio/boom box that has no means to hook up speaker wire to it. That is my issue.

My other question is... if I hook up the speaker selector box as one output from a receiver, does it count as 1 output, or does it count as the total number of speakers attached to the speaker selector? In other words, the selector controls at least 3 pairs of speakers in and out of the house. Will that count as 6 speakers, or since it's coming through a selector box and into the receiver as one set of wires, will it count as one output?

Who would you recommend to look at my house? Not sure where to start and definitely don't want Best Buy tech guys.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.