Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

pre-installed garbage

by littlebit1000 / July 4, 2007 2:04 PM PDT

I seem to have a lot of installed programs on this HP computer that I have recently purchased. Programs like Easy Internet Services, EBay, GetVonage, Rhapsody..anyway you get the picture. They are all displayed on my desktop with the properties of type-shortcuts, folder path- c\users\public\public desktop. What makes me a little curious is under security when I click on the properties for these programs there is a check mark allowing permissions for system, full control modify, read and execute, read, and write. I don't want these programs on my system, I don't even want to use them. How do I safely delete them? When I checked Add/Remove installed programs they wern't even listed. I presume I just can't delete them off my desktop and they will no longer exist. Nothing could be that easy...could it? LOL..Thanks..Liz

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pre-installed garbage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pre-installed garbage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Liz
by tomron / July 4, 2007 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: pre-installed garbage

When I purchased my new XP it came with many unwanted programs also,including Norton,I believe I read somewhere its called crudeware.

What is your OS?

Try start>all programs>GetVonage>there should be an uninstaller.try this for each unwanted program.

Tom

Collapse -
HI Tom
by littlebit1000 / July 4, 2007 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Liz

My OS is Vista, it sure is a lot different from my old 98...LOL Happy In the start menu I found Vonage but it is bundled with alot of other things all tucked up nice and neat in a folder called "online services", the only one so far that comes with an uninstaller in the start menue is Rhapsody. I wish it was that easy...Thanks Liz

Collapse -
Remove unwanted Garbage
by tonylewry / July 6, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Liz

Click start and then "Run", type in "msconfig" (just the word, not the puncuations) then when the menu opens go to "Start up" or Start" just depends on your OS. You will then get another menu and there you will see all the rubish you don't want so just uncheck the Items you want to get rid of. They will still be there but will not start when you start up your computer,
regards, Tony

Collapse -
Usually. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 4, 2007 9:52 PM PDT

That desktop shortcut is pointing to the installer. If they're not in Add/Remove, look at the shortcut, find the file and it's folder, and delete the folder, then delete the icon.

Collapse -
Thanks
by littlebit1000 / July 4, 2007 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Usually. . .

I know this is a silly question...but how do I find the file? I found the shortcut, I went into "search", typed in the target that was in the shortcut under properties, and no item was found. I am probably not doing it right...obviously!! Liz

Collapse -
RIGHT Click The Shortcut, Choose 'Properties'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 5, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

..then check the "Target" indicated.. It should lead you directly to the path/file in question.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by littlebit1000 / July 5, 2007 3:10 AM PDT

when I click properties then under "shortcut" there is an option to open file location. When I click on this it takes me to "program files". There are 2 files listed for this paticular program 1) core_startVonageand 2)Vonage. When I right click either one of these files there is an option to delete along with ..run as admin...scan...pin to start...add to quick...send to..cut...copy...create shortcut...delete...rename and properties. If I delete it this way; is it the right way? Thanks..Liz

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, just delete them and the folder they're in.
by Coryphaeus / July 5, 2007 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif
Collapse -
If You Don't Want Them, You Can Delete Them That Way...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 5, 2007 10:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif

As long as there is no standard uninstall listing in "Add/Remove Programs", then the "easy sign up" icons stuff can be safely deleted using the method you've chosen.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks guys
by littlebit1000 / July 5, 2007 10:09 AM PDT

once again your advice is greatly appreciated. Liz

Collapse -
Be careful
by forkboy1965 / July 7, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

I'm always hesitant to offer suggestions to folks on how to remove pre-installed software on a recently purchased computer without actually being there to see things for myself.

While I like to think of myself as more computer literate than the average American consumer, I had a fair bit of trouble (i.e. more trouble than I had anticipated) removing the flotsam and jetsam of pre-installed software from my daughter's HP laptop, which we purchased 7-months ago.

Certainly some of the posts on here are correct in the advice they offer, but I personally found that even after deleting folders, files and using the Add/Remove Software feature, the laptop would sometimes act erratically trying to find and run software that I thought I had completely deleted.

Instead of taking the more dangerous route of trying to delete/remove software applications, it may be more prudent to simply delete the various shortcut icons from the desktop and turn-off those unwanted programs from starting via the msconfig option as another post referred.

Ultimately this route leads to fewer issues with your computer's registry; cleans up your desktop; removes unneeded software from hogging your computer's resources (because you stopped them from automatically running at start-up), etc., while not causing the host of issues that can crop-up when one tries to delete software that was installed by another party.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Reformat with DBAN and reinstall OS with disk...
by ClosetMonster3 / July 7, 2007 2:58 PM PDT

The only way to get your system optimal and to get rid of all the bloatware on your system is to use a program called DBAN (Disk Boot And Nuke)..google it... which wipes your whole hard drive with random 1's and 0's (also effective for wiping impossible to remove viruses). YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA ON THE DISK SO BACK UP FIRST!)

You can then reinstall the OS with your OS CD (Make sure you have the physical disk! Not just a backup partition!... P.S. I would wipe the backup partition also since you already have the physical disk, the backup section has all the bloatware put back on if you backup from there, and it just takes a bunch of Gigs that you could be using!)

You should make a small partition at the beginning of the drive when you reinstall the OS (I am currently using 15 Gigs just for my programs and OS, not to mention future stuff) so I suggest you give at least 25-30 Gigs if you have many programs and you install games. 10 gigs is ususally the bare minimum for the OS and some programs I would think.

You could then create a second partition (possibly the rest of the drive) to keep all your files and data. Reason being, if something happens to your OS system, you can just reformat the first partition without loosing all of your files and data! Much easier and safe. You should also backup your data on an external drive or other media.

Partition happens when you first install the OS on a reformatted (or new) HD, not in the repair stage when your operating system is still functioning. Therefore, use DBAN to wipe all traces of your data on the disk to start fresh.

This is the only effective way of making sure that there is only the essentials you need from the OS without all the add ons that come with a new computer. Your system will be effectively much faster in this method rather than just simply removing the programs from "add/remove programs"

You can however just use the add/remove programs section to remove the bloatware, get a program that deletes startup registries for programs you dont want to run (or go into each program and choose for it not to run at startup).. but for me, I find that this never allows the system to fully recover.

I like things clean and optimal and not hindered by things I cant fix, so I just reformat...

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
What I do
by jaredmok / July 8, 2007 8:11 PM PDT

Re-formatting is a bit drastic, especially if you're not computer-wise or you haven't got an OS disk and license. And if you use the OEM recovery on the computer it would just re-install the same files.

Find the program's folders by looking in C:\Programs. If there is an uninstall file, use that. If there isn't, try the ControlPanel - Add/Remove programs.

If you can't find uninstall files, you must delete them manually, but first, do Start/Run, type "msconfig". Under the Startup tab and also the Processes tab, disable any of the tripe that you are sure is relevant to the files you want to delete.

Return to C:\Programs and delete the programs manually.

After uninstalling or deleting, use the Search function (with "search hidden files and folders" enabled) to find remnants that have survived and then delete them.

Download Ccleaner and get it to scan the registry for remnants. Let it delete any it finds but allow it to make a back up.

If you want to get rid of Norton, visit their website to download the Removal Tool. After you have used that, carry out the above procedures.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.