Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pozner's in Newtown Upset Over Money Loss

by James Denison / December 20, 2012 2:48 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pozner's in Newtown Upset Over Money Loss
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pozner's in Newtown Upset Over Money Loss
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The proper place to make donations
by James Denison / December 20, 2012 3:17 AM PST

Sandy Hook School Support Fund -- United Way of Western Connecticut in partnership with Newtown Savings Bank has created this fund to provide support services to the families and community that have been affected.

My Sandy Hook Family Fund -- Newtown community members have set up an EverRibbon.com page to collect donations through Union Savings Bank in Newtown.

These funds are not specific to any one family, but to help all of them as needed.
Collapse -
I saw this on AC360 last night
by Josh K / December 20, 2012 4:03 AM PST

If there is a Hell, that woman in the Bronx is surely going. Hopefully the FBI will give her a few things to think about in the meantime.

Collapse -
Every disaster will bring the rats out of the woodwork
by Diana Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 6:46 AM PST

I remember reading about a bus that went over a curb and the bus was empty and no one was hurt. By the end of the day, there were 11 claims for whiplash.

Collapse -
Let's clarify something from James' subject line
by Josh K / December 23, 2012 11:40 PM PST

The Pozners aren't upset about "money loss." They are upset that someone was exploiting their tragedy for their own personal gain, and fooling people who might want to make a donation to a worthy cause.

Collapse -
Interesting reactions since then
by James Denison / January 14, 2013 8:36 AM PST

"...as a few members here recount losing their fathers, I am reminded of the time right after my father died....

We did not even start to look for a will until he was laid to rest. This was for a man in his 70's. These people lose a child and immediately start pitching for gun control, and set up web pages? And, are those for donations?

I don't know what happened, this guy in video does not know either. Just watch these people, listen to them. Do they seem more like they are grieving the loss of a child, or on a mission to ban guns?

I know it is brutal hard to question people who may be truly just numb, but this pitching for gun control before your child's body is cold is becoming a recurring theme in these events. We have to look, even if it hurts."

Is this how some people grieve, by putting up donation sites just for their own family? Both of my parents died in the last 8 years, but I'd never considered asking for donations, certainly didn't, and although sympathy cards and flowers were sent, none were requested by me, although appreciated. I have in the past financially helped a family of a close friend who died (colon cancer and younger than me) whom I wanted to assure a burial plot instead of cremation and helped with his burial expenses since they'd been financially devastated as a family by his long period of hospital costs. They also received help from their local church group. Nobody put up a donation site on the web though, it was all done privately through church and close friends of the family.

My advice is to give if desired not to any fund other than the official funds I linked above which are non specific and non discriminatory to any one family. They can determine need and distribute funding as appropriate and needed, toward all those affected according to need.
Collapse -
(NT) James does need to work on his presentation skills. R
by Ziks511 / January 14, 2013 9:23 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) I think his message came through loud and clear
by Josh K / January 14, 2013 9:55 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.