Mac OS forum

Question

PowerMac G4 won't connect to internet

by Charlotte_Sterling / October 17, 2011 2:41 PM PDT

OS 9.2.2, PPC - 900Mhz processor speed. Use Netscape Browser. After browser opens, page remains mostly blank, with skeletal info at the top from my IP. At bottom in address bar, it's processing as if it's trying to connect but doesn't. Then screen freezes. Same problem with IE browser but also shuts down my computer so have to reboot. (have maximum amount of memory - 1.GB with most of memory available. My TCP/IP info is correct. Been through various other help sites and cannot figure out how to fix! thanks, Charlotte Sterling

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PowerMac G4 won't connect to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PowerMac G4 won't connect to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could it be that your browsers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 18, 2011 5:24 AM PDT

are being completely overwhelmed by the websites you are visiting.
IE for Mac has not been updated in 12 years and I doubt that Netscape is much more up to date than that.
The internet has moved on in leaps and bounds since System 9.2.2 was a viable OS.

If you have another computer available, I would take a look around the internet for a plain and simple website you could use as a test site.

Just what is your home page set to? (as in, what's the url)

P

Collapse -
internet access via PowerMacG4
by Charlotte_Sterling / October 25, 2011 11:41 AM PDT

URL: www.charter.net

I am aware that "The internet has moved on in leaps and bounds since
System 9.2.2 was a viable OS." I am also aware that IE and Netscape
are pretty much non-existent!!!!!!!! Because I am unable to access the web from this OLD MAC, I cannot download anything to that computer, including better browsers.

I would like to be able to access the web from this older computer.

I did spend considerable time trying to find solutions from other help websites, but perhaps this problem is unsolvable. I had increased my processor speed to the max for that OS/machine
(900mhz). It's a Power Logix processor. The TCP/IP is correct. My
ethernet cable & router works fine (switched out with my eMac and
got the same issue). I do have a disk for the last version of Netscape
that I suppose I could reinstall to try and see if that fixes this issue. But I was able to access the web from this computer without any problems
over a year ago. My IP is the same (Charter Communications).

(I have another MAC - eMac with 0S 10.4.11 on which I use wonderful current browsers - Camino, Safari and FireFox.)

However, since this Thread does indicate for Classic OS, I thought
perhaps someone might have some suggestions I could try to fix this
problem, rather than get sarcastic comments about the "internet moving
in leaps and bounds". I'm so sorry if I'm wasting your time.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Collapse -
"Because I am unable to access the web from this OLD MAC,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2011 11:44 AM PDT

" Because I am unable to access the web from this OLD MAC, I cannot
download anything to that computer, including better browsers."

That's an odd statement. Can't you carry apps to it via CD or USB memory sticks?
Bob

Collapse -
Because I am unable to access the web from this OLD MAC
by Charlotte_Sterling / October 26, 2011 6:14 AM PDT

I can try but when I had searched archived sites for other browsers was unable to find anything for OS 9.2.2 (also it's PPC not INTEL).

Collapse -
Here's an archive of such (Apple too!)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 6:24 AM PDT
http://www.oldversion.com/
Collapse -
Nice one Bob
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 6:43 AM PDT

Maybe 5.2.3 is the last of the IE, I thought it was 5.1

P

Collapse -
System 9.2.2
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 6:41 AM PDT

this confuses me a little.
"(switched out with my eMac and got the same issue)."
Do you mean that the eMac would not access the internet?

why not update System 9.2.2 to OS X 10.4.11 and go surfing to your hearts content.

Last version of IE for system 9.2.2 is 5.1

I have it if you need it.

P

Collapse -
Answer
iMac's Classic and newer browsers
by uhoh_num2 / December 18, 2012 8:51 PM PST

Charlotte,

I'm on the hunt also, got a friends 'puter that has same OS but much lesser juice than yours. Her's had the same response to web sites as yours. No freezes, Oh...BTW, don't worry about your current config...its good, its your browser and the newer web configurations. She's got the same browser and when navigating to various site her sys looks and gives the same display. Its the browser's capabilities.

To add to this: I'm on the hunt also for a newer browser that'll interact with the current web and the older iMac. So far I've found a recommendation...Name: Classilla Website: www.floodgap.com/software/classilla Don't download the 9.3.1 version, I've tried and get the message that some sort of install package something was corrupted on the download....so, that leads me to believe that I need to find an older version/archived version if its available in the "Classilla" flavor. Don't fret though....trying to meld the old with the new is just another challenge...drive on....I'm going to...this thing ain't gonna' beat me. I'll follow your thread and if I find one that works I'll let ya know. Lol, keep fightin' the good fight!!! Something/some browser has GOT to be out there..."Help me Jesus"...Please....

uhoh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.