Mac Hardware

General discussion

Powered USB hubs don't work

by BarrieScott / December 18, 2009 7:13 AM PST

I had a powered USB hub attached to my computer, w/ a mouse and two printers attached to it. For a while, it seemed to work fine, but then the printers wouldn't work, and I had to connect them directly to the computer. I decided the problem must be with the hub, so I went out to MicroCenter and bought a new powered hub. Again, it seemed to work for a while, but then the printers again wouldn't work. There aren't enough USB ports to run all my peripherals so I have had to disconnect a backup USB hard disk. The hub is now disconnected entirely, and I have to switch connections around. Needless to say, this is a pain.

I need to fix this problem. What is going on?

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, w/ external 22" ViewSonic monitor, running OS 10.5.8

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powered USB hubs don't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powered USB hubs don't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB Hubs do work!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 18, 2009 8:11 AM PST

I have a D-Link 7 port that has been doing service for the last 4 years.
It is piggy backed with a D-Link four port that has been in service for the last 6 years.

Shame, nothing lasts forever anymore.

Try a D-Link hub and make sure all your USB cables are USB 2.0 compliant

P

Collapse -
Powered USB hubs don't work >>>>ASK for a replacement
by w t s / January 19, 2010 1:54 PM PST

I suggest you take those HUBS back and ask for refund/replacement.

Not sure what brand you bought ( which sometimes makes no difference ) but those devices are cranked out by the millions and the only quality testing is when the customer brings them back.

I've done that with "store" brand and never had a hassle: customer satisfaction still exists in most computer businesses especially those big box stores.

Take those hubs back.

Collapse -
by bearcat111 / January 19, 2013 6:53 AM PST

I had the EXACT same thing happen on the EXACT same MAC about the same time frame and the darn hub still sits on my desk and is worthless. At least now I know the answer from your reply and am now in need of the same thing at my AZ winter home, so will be more careful when I shop this time. Thanks matey!!

Collapse -
Wow! That's scary
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 7:46 AM PST

What are the odds of you using a computer that belongs to BarrieScott AND having the exactly the same problem as he was having AND at around the same time.

You couldn't make that stuff up!

The icing on the cake is that BarrieScott only made the one post and never replied to anything so where you got your answers from is a mystery.

Anyway, thanks for posting and if you ever have a real problem, not just someone else's, feel free to create a new thread and not hijack a 4 year old thread.

P

Collapse -
by bearcat111 / January 19, 2013 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Wow! That's scary

You must be an English major. Sorry for wrong choice of words and I'll excuse your inability to sort out common sense on what I meant. Of course I did not have Barrie Scott's MAC and meant that I have one EXACTLY like it and had the same problem. As to a 4 year old post, i stumbled into it and was intrigued by the problem itself and didn't give a rip of how old it was and was relieved that there was an explanation for my problem as well, which occurred about the same time frame. There was a reply post to Barrie's that explained the problem, so that's where I got that. Gad for stupidity!!

Collapse -
I agree entirely, Gad for stupidity.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 10:52 PM PST

You did not reply to the post that explained your problem, you replied to the original post.

Always better to write or say what you mean, rather than have someone figure it out for you.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.