PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Powered Usb extension not recognized

by theslaz / February 26, 2010 12:46 AM PST

Purchased a Usb powered extension some time ago. Did not try it immediately as I didn't need it. Finally decided to try it and I get an error message stating "USB device Not Recognized" "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned". I have tried the cable on two laptops and two desktops; operating systems ranging from the current Windows 7; Vista and Windows XP. All with the same results.
Going into device manager on the Xp system; it tells my that there is an "Unknown Device" and that there are no drivers installed for it. Did extensive research on the web; and every where it says that no drivers are required for a powered USB cable.
Any suggestions or alternatives. Have had the cable to long to return it; so that is out!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Powered Usb extension not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Powered Usb extension not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No make or model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 12:54 AM PST

So all I can do is ask if there is a detail available like that.

How long a cable is needed?

Collapse -
No make; No model
by theslaz / February 26, 2010 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: No make or model.

It is a 5m standard USB powered cable. Male connection on one end female on the powered end. No make or model!

Collapse -
Then what's left?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: No make; No model

Go get another one. I too see no drivers and there is nothing in your post that suggests it's your machines.

Collapse -
USB extension
by theslaz / February 26, 2010 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Then what's left?

Me thinks that is what I will have to do. Just got to figure out what I can do with 15 ft. of usb cable!!!

Collapse -
If you are really good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: USB extension

And you would have to be perfect. I use a 10 foot extension cable and it is just wires. Well, a good gauge and twisted like the "spec" but it does work EXCEPT for USB HARD DRIVES which we do expect to fail on such things.
Bob

Collapse -
Powered extension
by samkh / February 26, 2010 10:13 AM PST

Since the cable is powered, PnP is trying to install drivers for the attached device. What device did you attach that failed to install or did you just leave it open ended?

Collapse -
powered extension
by theslaz / February 26, 2010 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Powered extension

It fails when it is left open. I have tried it with a memory stick attached and got the same results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.