PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB Device has exceeded the power

by auto78900 / June 30, 2009 4:56 PM PDT

I was recently given an old PC and checked to see if it had any faults. I then found out that as soon I plugged a USB flash or a usb external Hdd to it , it would cause a problem. XP pro came up with this message
"Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB Device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

It has 2 usb ports at the front and 4 at the back.
I tried all, but noticed when I plugged usb storage devices in the back, the pc would re-boot itself ,so the ports on the back were in worse condition than the ones on the front.
Also the mouse would freeze when I plugged storage devices in the front. However usb mice and keyboards work OK in all the USB ports.

Would this be a hardware issue ? not software related ?
Also I noticed the pc has a program installed in it called "S3 USB enable" ,could that be the problem that is causing this ?

My mouse pointer works again when there are no other usb devices plugged in and I unplug/plug the
mouse cable again.
How do I get the USB ports to function with USB drives ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB Device has exceeded the power
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB Device has exceeded the power
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Known to happen
by Willy / June 30, 2009 9:39 PM PDT

You can start all over again and reload the OS, drivers, updates, etc.. and see if that clears any so-called s/w issues.

However, I suspect this is a true h/w issue. One that can from poorly designed USB ports. The USB is prone to power issues as in lacking. USB devices that get their power from the USB port can be demanding and exceed what the system provides. One cure is to use dual connection dongle or use a USB device getting power via AC outlet. When your USB mouse freezes it actually lost its power or enough of it. Older PC's had USB issues, if this is a USB1.1 type, suspect that as well. You're best bet is to get an USB expansion card, and use their ports. Refrain from using hi-power USB devices on older system ports.

If this is an OEM type system like Compaq, Dell, etc., find what if any resolutions they provide under their support website or FAQ.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by auto78900 / July 2, 2009 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Known to happen

After constant re-seating of the internal usb pins and graphics card and shaking the pc, I now managed to get all 4 usb sockets at the back , working and reading my usb storage devices. Would be nice if
I could get the ones at the front also working.
When I look inside I see that all the usb sockets at the back are connected to 2 cables and form one end that goes into the motherboard to a set of pins called usb1 and also see that there are 2 usb cables to form one at the end that goes into another set of pins into the motherboard called usb 2.
so does that mean I do not need a usb exapnsion card now ?
I could just swap the cables over , the back with the front, if that works, I would be happy with just those 2 usb sockets.
What do you think ?

Collapse -
(NT) Addenum: try a powered USB hub as well
by Willy / June 30, 2009 9:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
Finally got the front panel off-
by auto78900 / July 6, 2009 11:24 AM PDT

Ok , I finally got the front panel off. Here is the screenshot
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3176/usbfront.jpg

I would like to know why the usb sockets are inside this module,
and what else this module contains , like components and that, and what is the name of this usb module ?
How much do they cost ?
Can I test this with a multimeter , to see if something is shorting or something not connected that should be connected ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.