Computer Help forum

General discussion

Power supply not up to the task

by robtheorg / May 8, 2008 2:55 PM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio Desktop. 512MB RAM, running Windows XP SP2.

It has two optical (DVD) drives, and two hard drives. It also has a double-headed video card, and a USB/Firewire PCI card. All of those things take power (the Video card and USB/Firewire cards have taps into the main power supply).

I am trying to add a Belkin KVM switch so I can use my primary keyboard/mouse and monitor on both my home (the Vaio) and my work pc.

When I connect the PS/2 keyboard, mouse and monitor up to the KVM, and then turn the computer on - the PC starts up, gets past the initial BIOS check, but then reboots - before Windows really has a chance to get started. It isn't just a single reboot - it keeps rebooting over and over again - at the same point. Keyboard doesn't even work to select SAFE MODE.

[Before the KVM install - this computer will run for days, weeks maybe even months before it needs to be restarted]

What I think the issue is - is that this Belkin KVM doesn't have its own power supply (it can be bought separately as an accessory). It is parasitic off of the host computer via the PS/2 or USB port. I think when the KVM goes to suck power at start-up - it puts the machine over the edge - and causes the reboot. Over and over again.

[Already posted something to Belkin, but they are business hrs support only for KVM's]

Is this (sudden reboot) the normal symptom when the power supply is overtaxed?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or suggestions.

Robert

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power supply not up to the task
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power supply not up to the task
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no, it's not the power supply
by ramarc / May 9, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

usb and ps2 components draw very little power. if your pc acts normally with the kvm, then the kvm is obviously the problem.

check your connections and consider swapping out the kvm for a different model. also consider getting a kvm with usb mice/keyboard switching since some PCs are finicky about ps2 components being switched.

Collapse -
Same issue
by TheManInDboX / May 9, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

I had the same issue, and after months of thinking it was my power supply, and other hardware/software issues i replaced the KVM.. Problem solved.. Try to get one with an external power supply... One that plugs in..

Collapse -
Helpful to add
by TheManInDboX / May 9, 2008 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

I now use a Switchview MM-1 by avocent...

Collapse -
I had this happen to me.
by inachu / May 9, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

Turned out even USB device can gobble up too many irq's.

You need to learn about IRQ settings and find an IRQ address that is not being used by your system while the KVM is not plugged in.

Once that is done you can be specific in the BIOS setup and assign the free IRQ to the device.

Collapse -
IRQ's and KVM
by robtheorg / May 9, 2008 5:06 AM PDT

At this point the KVM is just connecting to PS/2 ports and the monitor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.