Laptops forum

General discussion

Power probs Acer Aspire 7736Z

by camlgt / March 28, 2011 6:28 PM PDT

Ok my 7736Z is having some kind of problem with the power. I can plug it up and the blue light will light and I can push the button and power it on. Sometimes it will stay on for 10 seconds others it will make it a few mins and allow me to boot fully. Usually after this happens it will take a good 30 mins or more before it will allow me to try to power on again. When I say this, I mean the blue light will not even come on to indicate charging, and actually there has been times when that light does come on but won't allow me to power it on. It will do nothing at all with the battery, and last time I made it into windows it showed the battery at 96% charge. I have tried a different AC unit and same result. So I don't know what the problem is. Possibly the DC jack? or maybe the whole board although I doubt it since it will boot into windows.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am at a total loss here, I don't want to spend the money on a new board if all I need is a jack and on the same hand I don't really want to go through the hassel of replacing the jack to find out it is the whole mother board. Is there any other thing that could be wrong that I am not thinking about?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power probs Acer Aspire 7736Z
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power probs Acer Aspire 7736Z
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My thought? Motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Somewhat similar but not exactly
by camlgt / March 30, 2011 6:08 PM PDT

It is similar, but I can power on on occaision, unlike that post that can not power on at all. It sounds like that laptop has a more severe issue. It still may be the MB in both cases. I am just a bit perplexed as to the intermittent nature of my problem.

Collapse -
I know that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

Folk want to think that if it blinks differently or acts differently it's some other issue. The failures are pretty simple to figure out. There are about 8 or so parts to replace in laptops so what gets folk is that one part if replaced in most shops can be over half the cost of a new laptop.

Given the costs, you have to consider longer warranties.

Collapse -
power probs
by Kman333 / August 26, 2012 8:55 AM PDT

from what I found sounds like U58 IC chip on bottom side of board, left of Memory slots...(PC Upside down..)
Replace it with the SI4812BDY N-Ch mosfet chip or use the SI4800BDY N-Ch mosfet IC chip which is the same chip as U63 right under U58...Make sure pin one is placed correctly... on U58 with Board out, batt connector up and memory slots down the chips pin one should be down and on the Right. U59 can also go bad. and is in reverse. Pin one up and to the left...All IC chips have a dot or a dent close to Pin one..
the only differences I see between the 4812 chip and 4800 chip is the 4812 chip has a zener diode in parallel with a standard diode power displacement are similar configuration is the same. I suspect the zener shorts out between the standard diode and boom, no power is usually the most common issue... and I heard your issue with power cyclying off resides with the same chips..
so either replace the board, or try the chips.(for 30 C a peice.) and use the 4812 chips if you want to stick with manufacture specs it will work for about a year, or use the 4800 chip if you want to stop the problem...and if your in there changing the chips suggest to do both U58 and U59. U58 for sure though.. Just FYI these are suggestions only follow at your own much heat can damage the board so I will always recommend a professional or use the warrenty if you have it first..don't blame me if it fails...but I fixed one acer z7736 twice now with this method and use the 4812 chip came back a year later.using 4800 chip now...(FYI --service manual troubleshooting - states If lights do not come on with battery out and Power supply pluged in ===GET A NEW BOARD)

Collapse -
But How?!
by lividicus / September 1, 2012 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: power probs

Hey there, I've had my broken 7736z for a while now and decided to crack it open. Back when it first broke I had found loads of forums with even links to purchase the new ic chips and installation guides etc. I mainly just want to know the necessary heat to solder the new ic on. As well as any tips for general installation, I'm 100 percent certain that the problem is that u58 chip, I just tore my entire laptop apart and one of the legs is all bent and does not even appear connected anymore! Any Info or links would be great, there were no videos on youtube on general solder replacement for 4 leg ic chips, I just need a simple how to, help a guy out Happy

Collapse -
aspire 7736 no power
by shawn6464 / November 22, 2012 11:54 AM PST

Great post my friend, you have helped me a lot.
I have One question, the U63 is blown and it is not possible to see the dot or dent for the pin one , would you please tell me how the position of pin one or dent is on U63.

and what is the part number for U59 and U64?

Collapse -
Aspire 7736G
by simes101 / March 26, 2014 12:58 AM PDT

Hi - had the same problem - No power light and totally dead. Checked power supply etc all good. Followed your advice ref changing U58 and U59 . I now have power light and switch light, I press start button and it goes through it's POST but there is no power to screen. I can hear hard drive spinning but it no flashing light to say its reading it. Any other thoughts on the mosfets? ( I checked orientation and I guess its possible to damage one soldering it in). Does U58 do the power for part of the board and U59 the screen for instance and are there any others that commonly fail?

Collapse -
aspire 7736 no power after changing mosfets
by tekila323 / July 15, 2014 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Aspire 7736G

Hi simes101,

I have tha same problem as you. After I changed the U58 and U59 I get the power leds, fan starts and HDD spins, but the screen is blank.

Did you manage to solve this problem?

Regards, Antonijo

Collapse -
Power probs Acer Aspire 7736Z
by karimmstafa / January 16, 2013 5:53 AM PST

haayyy!! just plug out the hdd (hard drive) than pluged it in again it worked for me 100% in my acer aspire 7736z hope i wa usefullfor u salllllaaaaaaaaam Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.