Laptops forum

General discussion

Power Problems with my HP Pavillion ZE4900

by chisox357 / June 29, 2005 11:00 PM PDT

I plugged in a External USB Hardrive while it and the notebook was turned on. The notebook shut down and I can't turn it back on. Please HELP ME.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Problems with my HP Pavillion ZE4900
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Problems with my HP Pavillion ZE4900
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB Port
by ikenfixit / June 29, 2005 11:07 PM PDT

Check to see if the pins shorted out on the laptop USB port. There is a 5V supply here and if it contacts ground it will kill the laptop. Bend them so they are not touching each other or the metal housing and it should fire up. If you need the port replaced we can do this for you.

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2005 11:22 PM PDT

Remove the AC cord. Unplug the battery pack and go make tea, milk or coffee. Put it back together and try again (without the USB devices.)

What I've seen happen. The OS was not "factory installed" and the owner didn't know about all those drivers that Microsoft doesn't install for you. It can "lock up" in hibernate or another state and to get it out you have to remove all power. Some laptops even have a backup battery (rare) and you have another reset button to finger. This is not a feature of the HP but I note it for completeness.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
USB Pins???
by chisox357 / June 30, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

What would I bend the pins with? The USB port is so small.

Collapse -
Can you see the insulator?
by ikenfixit / June 30, 2005 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Pins???

Look at the port and see if the insulator plastic is gone. You should have 2 ports do they both look the same? If you see pins mashed onto the metal housing its probably the case. If it looks like the other try Bobs suggestion first..

Collapse -
Still Nothing
by chisox357 / June 30, 2005 11:43 PM PDT

I tried both suggestions and still the notebook will not start. The pinns look fine. I gotta figure that this is something minor. Any other suggestions you could think of would be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
Unlikely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2005 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Still Nothing

When you reach the end of the simple itmes as noted, you make arrangements for repair.

-> You did use a VOLTMETER to see if the battery was charged and the power brick was working?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.