Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Power Point...Having trouble downloading?

by gerri / October 21, 2006 7:40 AM PDT

I'm have a problem downloading power point. The message I get says that my office was older than Windows XP. I did upgrade XP from ME within the past year I was always able to use power point.

Some of you may remember I had to reinstall Windows XP a couple of weeks ago due to a fan and overheating. Everyone here was so helpful

Now I am asking again for help. I run Windows XP Svc 1& 2. My office works is that should not be the reason.

Can anyone lead me or help me find where I can download. It worked before?

Thanks so much,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Point...Having trouble downloading?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Point...Having trouble downloading?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power Point is not downloadable. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 21, 2006 8:08 AM PDT

Power Point viewer is. What exactly are you trying to download and what error messages, exactly, do you get?

Collapse -
Powerpoint Viewing...
by gerri / October 21, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

It is downloadable to VIEW.. I had it for years... I lost it when I reinstalled my OS.

Collapse -
If you need the full package, consider Open Office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2006 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Powerpoint Viewing...

It's what I use.

Collapse -
Power Point Viewing..
by gerri / October 21, 2006 1:44 PM PDT

I just want view powerpoint only. I don't need for anything else. It's just for home use to view all those lovely powerpoint pictures I receive from friends.

The message I am getting (and this always happens to me) it downloads fine but when I want to run it the message says to go to control panel folder options and assign an association. So I am presuming it is still in a temp file..I could NEVER get the hang of this... This is in an email and it is a pps.

Can you guide me through...please

BTW, Is this package you mentioned a freebie?

Collapse -
Yes and links...
by John.Wilkinson / October 21, 2006 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Power Point Viewing..

If you want just the Powerpoint Viewer you can click here to download it. Alternatively, you could click here to download OpenOffice, a free alternative to Microsoft Office, which can both view and create presentations, among other things. It's quite powerful and worth a look.

Collapse -
Email .pps attachment
by JonathanCase / October 21, 2006 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes and links...

I have a problem that if I click on the attachment,from OE6, it won't open, come what may. The workaround is to save the attachment to a folder, (scan it) and open it from the folder. For some reason that works ok.
Have a standalone powerpoint viewer, ms, not part of office or alternative.

Collapse -
I could do it either way..BUT
by gerri / October 21, 2006 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes and links...

I am missing an important step . Let me see if I can explain in detail.

This is What I am not understanding...

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP
This download works with presentations created in the following Office programs:

Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
Microsoft PowerPoint 2002
Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
Microsoft PowerPoint 97
Top of page

To install this download:

Download the file by clicking the Download button (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.

I downloaded this but i don't see it on the hard disk. the icon is on my desktop.!!

Double-click the PPViewer.exe program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
To install on a computer running Windows 98 Second Edition (SE):
Install the lastest Windows installer for Windows 98.
Restart your computer.
Follow the installation instructions in the section above.
To specify a download install location (for network administrators):

On the Start menu, click Run, and type command.
Navigate to the path of the installed PPViewer.exe program.
Type ppviewer.exe /c:?msiexec /i ppviewer.msi INSTALLLOCATION=c:\target? where c:\target is the installation directory.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Instructions for use:

Once you have installed this download, from the Start menu under All Programs, open Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003.

Note PowerPoint Viewer 2003 registers with the .ppt, .pot, and .pps file extensions only if a version of PowerPoint is not installed on your computer. If registered, double-clicking on these file types will launch PowerPoint Viewer 2003.

ALL OF THIS IS SO CONFUSING. Again, it appears that I am not creating a file folder to associate (to tie it together). I neve learned how todo this properly I guess. I have the Viewer 2003 icon on my desk top but it does not show in my program files at all - so the program is not installed.

The Office program I have is Microsfot WorksSuite 2001.

PLEASE Im about ready to kick this out the window. It was SO EASY when I first intalled the Powerpoint Viewer....

Collapse -
I think you are making this too difficult
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

Hi Gerri,

That file you downloaded from Microsoft, is it called ppviewer.exe? If so, that is the installer for PowerPoint Viewer.

All you need to do is double click that file and the installation will start. There should be no complications like Windows 98, or using the Run command, or anything like that. It should install itself very easily.

You say you don't see the file on the hard disk, but your Desktop is just a section of your har disk. The Desktop is a folder stored here;
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop
where ''Username'' is the name of your XP account.

Once you have installed PowerPoint, you need do no more. It will automatically associated the PowerPoint Viewer program to open any .pps files, (eg like the file you received in the email), and you have to do nothing further.

In fact, once installed, all you have to do is find that email again, click on the .pps attachment, and it will open in PowerPoint Viewer.

Once you have tested it, you can then remove that ppviewer.exe from your Desktop. It's not needed there. You can either delete it by dragging it to your Recycle Bin, or like a lot of people, save it in a special Downloaded Files folder you can create anywhere, so that if you have difficulties again, you can just re-install it from there.

If you have already tried double clicking that file and are still having problems, what exactly is happening?

Collapse -
I agree Mark....but....
by gerri / October 22, 2006 4:23 AM PDT

I agree with should not be difficult It was not difficult when I installed it years ago.

THIs is the exact message I am getting when I go to the email to click on the pps. document. Under the heading: Document/Settings/GatewayUser/Local Settings/Temporary Internet

"File Does Not Have a Program Associated With It for it to Perform This Action. Create an Association in the Folder Option Control Panel."

Hope this helps. Sad

Collapse -
Try This
by JonathanCase / October 22, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

Click on the email attachment. It will open a box with the name of the attachment ###.pps and below it "save attachment/s" Save it somewhere. Then navigate to where youve saved it (I created a folder for these) and click on it from there. As said above, I have the same message, this workaround works for me.Sorry, don't know why.

Collapse -
by gerri / October 23, 2006 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Thank you -- this worked finally! I saved to my desktop...but will now change to create a folder.

Do I just start a new folder under folder options?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Collapse -
That's an easy fix
by glb613 / October 22, 2006 7:53 PM PDT

Download the file, right click on it, select "open with", scroll down the list until you find PP viewer. If it isn't listed, click on browse and find it. Before you exit, select "always use this program" then OK/apply. The next time you have a PowerPoint file, it should open with the viewer.

Collapse -
doesn't fix
by gerri / October 23, 2006 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: That's an easy fix

When I attempt to download the pps file, there is no "open with" option...only "open".

Collapse -
PowerPoint Viewer
by terryl--2008 / October 22, 2006 5:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
by terryl--2008 / October 22, 2006 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: PowerPoint Viewer

Please ignore my previous post.
Somehow I managed to get the impression that you are using Windows 98.

Collapse -
It worked though
by gerri / October 23, 2006 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction

I am using Windows XP .....and it worked..? I have no idea WHY either?

Collapse -
Sorry....message meant for Tarq
by gerri / October 23, 2006 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked though

thanks again to everyone!

Collapse -
Wish it worked from OE
by JonathanCase / October 23, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

Real glad this worked. I've also posted this question on 2 other forums, without answers. I'd rather be able to just open from OE (like you) but learned to put up with it. Maybe it's something to do with not downloading/paying for the full office suite? Anyway, happy to help. Sometimes it takes a bumbler.

Collapse -
I even called MS ....and....
by gerri / October 23, 2006 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Wish it worked from OE

I was told that I may have to PURCHASE some "third party add-on?".... Needless to say, I hung on them -- but not before shouting my frustrations.

I have always received good guidance and resolutions here.....or I have worked and solved it myself...

At least it works now.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.