Computer Newbies forum

Question

Power Outage Killed PC

by Juspink000 / December 21, 2012 7:06 PM PST

Hi. First, I'm no pc expert but I'm not afraid to tamper! Now, the power went out in 2 counties & the pc won't come back on. I have a green solid light beneath the power cord on the back. I tried unhooking everything from the motherboard and all the drives, even took out memory. Nothing changed. Socket works & also tried a different cord. Is it my mobo? Google thinks the power supply is ok because of the steady light. No fans, no beeps, nothing happens when I click to turn it on. Any other suggestions before I purchase a new pc??? It is an HP Slimline 3700 using Vista.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Outage Killed PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Outage Killed PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the old reset?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Power Outage Killed PC

Unplug the power, if a laptop remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, release, apply power and try again.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Old Reset
by Juspink000 / December 22, 2012 4:54 AM PST

I tried doing that but no help. Thanks!

Collapse -
At this point it's in need of repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Old Reset
Collapse -
Answer
Checkout...
by Willy / December 22, 2012 12:53 AM PST

Since this is a desktop PC, then having the "green LED lit" on the AC area is only telling you AC power is present, NOT that PC operating DC voltages are up and running, one or all. Next, if the PC beeps other than what it normally does, refer the bios beep code in the manual or for that model# PC. Also, take side cover off and check the status of the innards when power is applied. If the fans move a bit then nothing that suggests improper PC voltages or unstable. In most cases, the best fix is to try another PSU rated the same or similar(larger). If you have one around, simply unplug yours and then connect the spare in its place though it need not be inside the PC(testing only) and check results. Physically "jerry-jig" it for now. If you have a physically similar, then replace PSU entirely and mount in its place and then test. If it fails, then you probably a bad mtrbd., now you have your excuse either to order some used mtrbd. via eBay or Craigslist or buy that new PC. I suggest you also have a decent surge protector and/or UPS setup too to protect the PC when running.

I hope this isn't you but check out posts here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Recovery-Reply-Only/HP-Pavilion-slimline-3700/td-p/1161135

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: Checkout...
by Juspink000 / December 22, 2012 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Checkout...

Oh no Willie, that's not me in the link but I did try those steps from HP already. None of that seemed to help. I would hate to buy another PSU or mobo though and just keep trying the extra parts. I'm no advanced tech or anything. It was plugged into a surge protector and all the other stuff (i.e. modem, tv..) came back on when the power did. Only the computer didn't. I thought surge protectors protected computers and stuff from these power outages.

Collapse -
Sorry
by Juspink000 / December 22, 2012 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Checkout...

Oops, spelled your name wrong! Willy! Happy

Collapse -
Surge protectors
by Willy / December 27, 2012 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Checkout...

FYI- While providing some protection against electrical overloads or "surges/spikes" on the AC line they also provide fire protection. The arcing and sparking that could result if an "open circuit" doesn't happen which basic protection provides up to a certain point(rating) and/or becomes grounded(re-routed). On top of all this, it may provide that only ONCE! as the protection has been used up or defeated and if still running is at typical basic AC operation, thus "unprotected" mode. All depends on the grade or level of surge protection and/or degree of what's provided besides surge protection.

Since a PC runs at 5v and 12V, anything above that is bound to cause issues. So, even a 50V spike or 50,000V hit should produce negative results. What this boils down to, is the end result, of all devices protected, there is no fire, devices get saved and/or more are up and running after a spike or hit. PCs are weak links as it doesn't take much to bring it down. Take my advice an get another surge protector and look for better joule rating. On top of that, use singular surge protector to attached at AC cord/or wall themselves even before the strip type protector.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I'm betting its a fried PSU
by Kevlar42 / December 30, 2012 1:08 AM PST

I had the same problem w/ a Dell after an outage. And like you, I'm no expert but don't try to figure things out and fix myself. It just takes twice as long as someone more knowledgeable. Researched the problem on my laptop. Most answers suggested it was the mb, but I opted for the cheapest solution first which was the PSU. Bought and after-market PSU at Staples for around $40 bucks, installed it and my computer was up and running again. The outage fried the PSU even though it's allegedly protected by a very expensive surge protector.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.