Computer Help forum

General discussion

Power On, Fans Come On - Screen Stays Black

by andantesash / January 21, 2013 9:43 PM PST

When I press my power button on my laptop (Packard Bell EasyNote TJ61) the power LED comes on Blue and the fans start for about 5 seconds, then goes silent and the screen doesnt change from black. When plugging the charger in it beeps and the power light comes on Red.

Anyone know whats going?

Tried the battery pull for 10mins, tried booting with the charger only, tried holding the power button down for 30seconds etc. But Nothing

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power On, Fans Come On - Screen Stays Black
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power On, Fans Come On - Screen Stays Black
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
30 seconds. I use 60.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:55 AM PST

But the reason is simple. We want to be sure we did that step.

Did you try a new motherboard?
Bob

Collapse -
Additional ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: 30 seconds. I use 60.

1. No battery.
2. And extending on item 1 we don't need a HDD, ODD (optical disc drive), all the RAM and what else?

Just like a desktop, we reduce the parts until we can't pull anything. All we are shooting for is a good power on and maybe beeps of protest that there is no RAM.
Bob

Collapse -
battery by the looks of it!
by andantesash / January 22, 2013 7:49 AM PST

I never even thought about the battery!

I just noticed the now that when I plug the charger the charging light comes on and just sticks at red, it doesnt flash like its charging, I looked on the net before posting here and someone posted on another site saying try replacing the internal power connector. Any suggestions on where that is in a packard bell?

Collapse -
Think it through.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 7:53 AM PST

If it was the power connection you would not get any light at all.

Collapse -
Another thing
by andantesash / January 22, 2013 8:00 AM PST

I forgot to mention, I replace the screen on the laptop after it became cracked about 1 week before all this happened. Would that make any difference?

Collapse -
Could.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: Another thing

A cracked screen could seriously damage chips on the motherboard under the right conditions. Sadly I've seen folk with cracked screens that try to turn it on and keep trying. Usually it's the motherboard at that point.
Bob

Collapse -
screen replaced / no power
by andantesash / January 22, 2013 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Could.

I changed the screen with the exact same one and all was working fine for about a week.

I've just went to turn the laptop on the now and it won't turn on at all even with the power plugged in, so I thought it was maybe the battery, I took the battery out the back and just powered it up with the charger plugged to the wall (without the battery attached to laptop) and that wont work either. But the minute I put the battery back in and the charging LED goes blue for 2 seconds, then to no colour, then to a constant red.

Collapse -
Well, that's typical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 10:11 AM PST

Of a bum motherboard. Remember your tech days on desktops. Remove any part you can to get a power up. RAM, HDD, what else can we do without?

Collapse -
more info
by andantesash / January 22, 2013 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: Well, that's typical.

I left it plugged in through the night and woke this morning and pressed the power button and it started again for a few seconds with the fans going and then it went silent. The screen stayed black and all touch pad buttons at the top still light up when pressed.

Could it be the magnets on the screen like the sleep mode thing when you close the laptop lid?

Or does it sound like the motherboard for def?

Collapse -
Magnets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: more info

Sorry but since I usually unplug that and don't have magnets around during a board test I don't see how that could be it. If you have reduced the parts as noted, then you are looking at the parts that could be defective.

The trouble with laptops is that 2 of the parts are almost as much as the entire new laptop. Seems to upset those that are new to repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / January 22, 2013 1:07 AM PST

Have access to a meter? If yes, then plugging in the AC adapter alone, place meter at laptop connector end and find the voltage, is it correct?

If it that is correct, then how old is your battery? If your laptop is 18mos. or older expect some battery issue. Also, do you recall any tripping on the AC adapter power cord? It's possible either the adapter harness is wonky or the connection at laptop is loose or wonky too. Next, no matter what the cause, unless you're willing to break down the laptop to check and inspect innards for obvious damage. If this is an old laptop it may have seen better days. During breakdown, inspect for any dust build-up to include if fans present they work. replace the heatsink compound at cpu while you're open to such.

What does the support website offer from PB. If it is that old, then maybe the bios battery is weak or simply replace upon breakdown. Also laptops that are in constant "heat stress" mode breakdown due to the components failing or can't handle it no more. It has found a weak link, and becomes kaput. Look into all this and see where it leads.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.