Computer Help forum

General discussion

Power Cord Won't Charge

by NikkyC-23468247972894530640499457601271 / April 25, 2010 3:28 AM PDT

I have been having more and more problems with my battery and power cords. It all started back in December when i purchased a new power cord because it stopped charging my computer. That power cord worked perfectly fine...for 3 months. I purchased another one and it fully charged the battery and then the power cord no longer works now. I am wondering if perhaps i need a new battery and not a new power cord. I would rather spent the money on a new batter than having to keep buy power cords and waste my money.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Cord Won't Charge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Cord Won't Charge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / April 25, 2010 3:54 AM PDT

Maybe... Laptop batteries only tend to last about a year before they start to decline. So it's entirely possible a new battery may be in order. However, the fact that after you get a new charger it works for a time, says that you also likely have an issue with the laptop motherboard or your house electrical system. SOMETHING seems to be causing slow steady damage to the chargers. That can be an issue with the laptop motherboard, or it could be faulty wiring in your house.

I'm just assuming the laptop is out of warranty. You say your problems started in December, so that means we're already about 5 months in, and add another 3 months for the old charger, brings us to 8, and I'm assuming there were a couple of months where things worked fine. If it's still under warranty, complain to the manufacturer. If you can get a motherboard replacement on their dime, you can test the old chargers (if you still have them) to see if that was indeed the problem. Old chargers work means your problem with the motherboard, otherwise you need to call an electrician because you have bad wiring in your place, and it could be a fire hazard. At the very least, it's going to cause premature death to all your electronics big and small.

Collapse -
by NikkyC-23468247972894530640499457601271 / April 25, 2010 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

I have actually had the computer since 2007. Im a student and cannot afford to buy a new one, even though I am aware that lap tops have a short life span. I do not believe it is the wiring in the house as our house is 5 years old and I have never had a problem with anything else in the house. I am not very computer knowledgeable when it comes to motherboards. Does that means it would erase everything on my computer if i replaced that? I definitely do not want that to happen. I believe it can be what you are saying either the battery has been slowly dying or maybe the motherboard. Im not sure.

Collapse -
That's 3 years. That battery is only 300 cycles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I find your average laptop to get about 2 years and that's it for the battery when the owner uses the battery as a primary means of power.

Let me ask this. Since we only get 300 cycle rated batteries shouldn't we use the wall power to save that battery for the times we can't plug it in?

Take this as a lesson learned. As you can't afford a new machine, just run it from the wall and carry on.

Collapse -

You assumed i ran it off of battery power at all times. I RARELY used just the battery and not the power cord. I always have my computer plugged in and now it won't charge the battery whatsoever. If i unplug my computer for even a couple of minutes it will shut down. I think that's pretty annoying, don't you.

Collapse -
Doesn't really matter
by Jimmy Greystone / April 25, 2010 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

It doesn't really matter. Even if the laptop were switched off, or the battery removed, it would slowly lose its charge. All the evidence actually shows that leaving a laptop plugged in all the time will SHORTEN the battery life.

But how would you know that you haven't had any problems with other electronics? Most of the damage would look pretty natural to the casual observer. Lightbulbs would burn out faster, and other devices would simply have shorter than average lifespans, but they're unlikely to just suddenly start throwing sparks and smoking.

And the age of a house doesn't mean jack. The contractor might have cut a bunch of corners. Once the city inspector left, replaced the quality electrical wiring with cheap stuff. I was listening to an old broadcast of a radio show were they were talking to people who lived in this brand new condo complex where the developer didn't even bother laying a concrete foundation, so the entire building was slowly sinking into the ground and so the floors and ceilings were starting to separate from the support beams.

But in light of new evidence, your battery is shot. Still doesn't mean there aren't other issues you might want to be looking into.

Collapse -
Or 18 months.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: re:

The common laptop battery is a rather short lived thing. Go find "specs" and you find 300 cycles, 18 month ratings.

Your machine is double that age so I can see why folk complain but such specifications were there when you bought this limited life span product.

I know this does not fix your issue but it does explain it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.