Dell forum

General discussion

Power Button on Dimension 8400 Blinking - no power????

by cthiemann / May 7, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

My Dell Dimension 8400 is dead. Won't power on...and the power button on the front is simply blinking. I assume I should look into replacing the Power Supply? Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Power Button on Dimension 8400 Blinking - no power????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Power Button on Dimension 8400 Blinking - no power????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
check manual
by mlg63 / May 13, 2009 6:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Replaced Power Supply...Still no joy
by cthiemann / May 13, 2009 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: check manual

I replaced the power supply with a PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS 500D power supply (made specifically for Dells - including the Dim 8400). Still have a blinking orange power button. not sure what else to investigate, short of bring the machine to a repair facility (which I am trying to avoid).

Collapse -
Blinking Amber Power Button LED
by Tombee56 / May 14, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

The state of the Power Button LED on most Dell desktops indicates status.

My experience as a Dell field engineer shows that a blinking amber LED is not always indicative of a PSU failure. Beg, borrow or otherwise get hold of a PSU tester. Test the PSU as per instructions. If it shows the PSU is OK then it is another component. When Dell get a call about blinking amber LED then they send out PSU, Motherboard and front I/O panel. (Here in Europe anyway...they're covering all angles.

First thing I do on arriving at customer is test the PSU. If OK, the box stays sealed. Check all USB ports. If any are broken, then replace the relevant component (the front I/O panel or the motherboard). If the the front I/O panel looks OK then the mobo is replaced. This usually resolves the problem.

However, yesterday I came across a new one. The mobo had been replaced - no fix. I went along yesterday with an I/O panel, PSU and I/O panel to mobo cable.

Still blinking amber. Disconnected everything. Connected power cables one by one....all solid green until I connected the power cable to the Hard Drive. Blinking amber. The HDD was shorting. Back today to install a new HDD and reinstall OS/Drivers and Apps. All OK...very happy customer.

Collapse -
Blinking Amber Light on power button
by ASulli83 / September 11, 2010 5:29 AM PDT

Dell ~ Blinking Amber Light on Power button. All I did was take out the old wifi card that i put in there a few months ago to get the numbers off it and put it back in and the damn thing wouldn't start up! I tried Unplugging all the wires connected to the cdroms, hdd, motherboard one by one and nothing works but that damn light on the power button and a light on the motherboard the is near the video card. not even fans will power up.. even checked the cmos battery... Any other ideas by any chance, be fore I put money into it to replace, which sucks because i was helping a friend not my computer>?

Collapse -
Simple Solution!
by sabrinasmom3 / January 2, 2014 11:56 AM PST

I know this is a really old thread, but I just got done searching this problem and found no help. First we had no power so we replaced the Power Supply Unit. Then we got the blinking amber light. We tried every suggestion we could find to no avail. Then I read the trouble shooting manual and tried a long shot. The new PSU voltage selection switch was on 230 instead of 115! Now it is working again. I know it sounds simple, but it was one solution that I didn't see anywhere online. The switch is on the back of the PSU directly to the right of where the power cord plugs into it. Hope this helps the next person searching!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.