Laptops forum

General discussion

Portable laptop with numeric keypad?

by bigfatben / July 21, 2010 5:22 AM PDT

I pretty much only use my current (ancient) laptop for word processing while I'm traveling, but this occurs frequently enough to make me consider buying a new one. The thing is, a lot of times I have to insert numbers into the documents I'm drafting, which I find much easier to do with a numeric keypad. But it seems like all the laptops that have a separate numeric keypad are large and bulky. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable laptop with numeric keypad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable laptop with numeric keypad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2010 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sony Vaio EB
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / July 21, 2010 5:43 AM PDT

Hi there,

You should check out the Sony Vaio EB series. It has a 15.5" screen and weighs slightly less than six pounds. It also has a sleek appearance and is definitely not bulky.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
It used to be that only the 17"+ laptops
by orlbuckeye / July 21, 2010 5:51 AM PDT

had numeric keypad and now you see 15" laptops have keypads. They also sell keypads that can me plugged into USB ports.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by bigfatben / July 22, 2010 1:09 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for the responses & suggestions. The laptop I've been using also has a very small keyboard, and I hate typing on it. One idea I've been considering is getting an iPad with a bluetooth full keyboard. Problem is, the word processing I do is in Word, and my understanding is that Word files are not compatible with the iPad (but my exposure to Apple's software is fairly limited: my brother has a Mac that I've used occasionally, but that's about it). Thoughts?

Collapse -
laptop recommendation
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / July 22, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

Hi there,

For traveling, it will probably be much more convenient to buy a laptop with a keyboard attached. Also, a laptop has other important features, such as an optical drive and USB ports.

Cheers,
Isabella

Collapse -
Where is the numeric keypad
by verlanna / November 26, 2010 12:30 PM PST

I was excited over the prospect of buying one of the fast new lines of apple mac laptops until I discovered that none came with a numeric keypad. How disappointing. My biggest dissatisfaction with windows style operating systems is their unfortunate susceptibility to virus attack and apparent inability to dissuade attackers. Apple, perhaps due to a smaller market share, appears more immune to this problem.

If not for the lack of a numeric keypad I too would be the proud owner of a new Mac but until Apple installs that component I will stick with my older and slower but trusty Toshiba Satellite and resort to burning more incense in hopes of appeasing the virus god.

Collapse -
laptop
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / December 1, 2010 1:59 AM PST

Hi there,

No computer is completely immune to viruses. I recommend you install a trustworthy anti-virus software on your laptop. This is a key step in preventing malicious viruses [more effective than burning incense ;)]. You might still want to consider the Sony and then taking the steps necessary to protecting your PC.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Isabella

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.