Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Laptops

General discussion

portable external(seagate freeagent goflex 1tb)or internal?

by jenniferdnoob / September 28, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

Hi everyone,
I'm a bit of a noob but have been doing some research but have yet to find a nice solid answer to my question so I'm hoping I can get some help on here Happy

I have a 5yr old laptop that came stock w/100gb hard drive.
Sony vaio vgn-fj170
I've recently upgraded the memory to 2gb ram.

Anyway,I never used the laptop much,but now need to install photoshop,autocad,sketch-up,revit,and bentley.theses programs especially revit takes up a lot of space so I want to upgrade to min. 750gb hard drive. So my question is:
Can I install those programs on the seagate freeagent goflex 1tb and run the programs from the seagate hard drive? I'm assuming ill need some virtualization hardware(vmware)? And connect via usb3 for faster data retrieval for the programs to run?
Or do I just get a 750gb internal hard drive?
Are there certain pros and cons to the 2 options? Please note,that I wouldn't mind carrying around an external drive cuz ill mostly use it @ home anyway. I just want to know which hard drive external or internal will run more efficiently w/o problems.
Thanks in advance everyone. Any comments,suggestions are greatly appreciated Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: portable external(seagate freeagent goflex 1tb)or internal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: portable external(seagate freeagent goflex 1tb)or internal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go internal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

USB speed is a fraction of the internal. You'll want to get a bigger internal drive.

Collapse -
clarify..
by jenniferdnoob / September 28, 2010 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Go internal.

Thanks proffitt for the response Happy u say to get a higher internal drive...higher than 750gb?
I googled but I can't seem to find anything higher to fit my laptop.
I looked@my laptops specs on sony and it says I have a 2.5" sata hard drive and everything I see online that are 1tb and higher are 3.5"
Anyway,I could be wrong since I'm very new to all this stuff. Can you link me to where I can buy a 2.5" sata internal drive for a laptop? Thanks in advance Happy

Collapse -
found some..
by jenniferdnoob / September 28, 2010 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Go internal.
Collapse -
Let's be honest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2010 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: found some..

Why not go with a nice fast 500GB drive?

Collapse -
Hi guys
by layno_pt / December 16, 2010 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: found some..

I have also sony vgn-fj170, the specification is tha same and i want to upgrade the internal drive of my laptop to 320 gb,I have hitachi 320gb sata mobile hdd, can i use this as internal drive to my laptop?, please help me decide.. thanks a lot..

Collapse -
If you sony uses the same size (physical) drive and SATA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Hi guys

Why not? You didn't tell what stopped you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.