TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Portable DVD Player that can read from External Hard Drive

by No1desertkoala / November 12, 2009 1:33 PM PST

I'm trying to find a Christmas Gift for my husband. I was thinking of a portable DVD player that he can use while we're travelling. Problem is, I'm hoping I can find a portable DVD player that can read from an external hard drive with a USB connection.

I bought my husband a MyPassport 320GB hard drive for his birthday and he uses this to store downloaded movies and tv programs. Does anyone know if there are portable DVD players out there that can read from an external hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable DVD Player that can read from External Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable DVD Player that can read from External Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The ones I've used don't do USB well
by Pepe7 / November 12, 2009 2:38 PM PST

I've yet to find one that can do anything past read a USB drive. Even that is sketchy (difficult to parse small jpeg directories). I'm not aware of anything that could connect to a my passport, although admittedly I've only tried my LG and the Phillips I returned previously with ext. HDDs.

Poke around on Amazon for some of the older Phillips models (8"-10" screen sizes). I recall some of the user reviews tipped me off on specific features of other brands that I liked/wanted.

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
Take a look at these.
by ahtoi / November 12, 2009 4:07 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / November 12, 2009 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Take a look at these.

Good starting point. Froogle is decent too. Just avoid the Audiovox, Haier, Mustek & Coby brands like the plague. Start w/ Toshiba and Sony from that list.

-P

Collapse -
Audiovox
by keithraab / December 16, 2010 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

Why avoid Audiovox? I am about to buy a portable DVD player since i'm military and my supervisor in the Air Force has had an audiovox for a while and he also plays a crap ton of movies with his external hd. I'm just asking b/c if you have good reasons to avoid audiovox then I would like to know lol. I was looking at Sony DVPFX950 and Audiovox AVXD9104 or D1988PK. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Portable DVD player
by Dan Filice / December 18, 2010 1:12 AM PST

Isn't what you want called a laptop computer? Most portable DVD players only have the hardware/software geared to simply playing a disc, not being able to read and process video files.

Collapse -
dvd player
by keithraab / December 20, 2010 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Portable DVD player

What are u talking about? The topic of this discussion is a portable dvd player, where did u get the idea of a laptop from?

Collapse -
I think I see why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2010 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: dvd player

They were opening up the discussion with other ideas. Since no one supplied such a machine, what's next?

Collapse -
this should help
by keithraab / December 22, 2010 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: I think I see why.

My supervisor has an Audiovox portable dvd player like I said and he plays movies from a hardrive all of the time. He said as long as it has a usb port u should b fine but may need an AVI converter which is a program that u download. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Looked for an Audivox Media Player
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2010 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: this should help

And it didn't show up. It appears that such a thing is going to be rare.

I think the next best thing is a Media Player like the Archos.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.