Linux forum

Question

Portable Apps for Fedora LXDE?

by naran13 / December 27, 2012 6:07 AM PST

Are there any portable apps for Fedora 17 LXDE?

Specifically, I need a sound recorder.

Currently, I am unable to install any software, as the hard drive is not working; I am running Fedora as a LiveCD.

Any help is appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Portable Apps for Fedora LXDE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Portable Apps for Fedora LXDE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd use google on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 7:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Portable Linux Apps
by naran13 / December 27, 2012 7:34 AM PST

I've been to that website already. Everything I click on ends up taking me to the same SourceForge page. When I search their site for portable Linux apps, I get a link back to the portable apps site. Pretty much just going in circles on that one.

I also have a Fedora 17 standard edition LiveCD, but it seems to run slowly on the laptop. LXDE is a "lite" version of Fedora, and it runs much better on that machine, so I was hoping to stay with that version.

Collapse -
Any LiveCD is a bit crippled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Portable Linux Apps

And it appears you will have to learn why folk only use it for testing. Later they move to HDD, or even USB memory sticks.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by naran13 / December 27, 2012 10:13 AM PST

I'm out of luck with the USB since my BIOS won't boot from it. That was actually my preference over the LiveCD.

Collapse -
I've used LiveCD to boot and USB for "stuff"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

But you seem to limit yourself to one distro. Odd how folk do that.

There's also ways to roll your own LiveCD. That way the apps you want are on the CD.
Bob

Collapse -
LiveCD
by naran13 / December 28, 2012 9:45 AM PST

I've been using the LiveCD for the OS and saving things to USB.

So far I can draw pictures and write.

I've discovered a GUI front-end for Yum, which is used to install software directly to the computer, which I can't do until I get a new hard drive. Which is why I need portable apps.

Fedora LXDE runs better than standard edition on that particular laptop. It will take some patience to try anything else, since I have to download it and take it to the library to burn in to disc.

Custom LiveCDs sound daunting. But that's a good idea. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.