Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Poor reproduction from CD-R discs in the car

by Laird_Scooby / January 28, 2012 1:40 AM PST

Hi All,
i'm new here and have what i think is a bit of an unusual query.
I've had a look at the other threads similar to this and they seem to be "can't play CD-R discs in the car". Mine play but there is a lot of noise/distortion
If i use the original discs (defeats the object, i don't want to leave expensive, online/shop-bought CDs in the car!) they play fine.
I've used Windows Media Player to rip/burn the discs with a low burn speed, high sampling rate (192kHz) and they play fine on different pc's, the hi-fi indoors but give a lot of distortion/crackling in the car.
The car has a 1994 Philips head unit and 6 disc, boot mounted changer. This was factory fit and as such i DO NOT want to change this in any way.

Surely someone has had a similar problem? The discs i have used are Sainsburys RED CD-R, 80min, 700MB but have had similar results from other discs.

Any ideas would be very helpful as i am also in the process of converting my vinyl collection to CD, mainly for use in the car! If anybody is interested in doing similar i use Audacity from filehippo.com - it's free to download and use.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_audacity/

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers
Dave

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor reproduction from CD-R discs in the car
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor reproduction from CD-R discs in the car
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just ONE idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 7:15 AM PST

I found better results with plain Silver'ish media (RED or BLACK is bad) and here's my tip. Burn at 2X speed.
Bob

Collapse -
RED? Nah - silver-ish!
by Laird_Scooby / January 28, 2012 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Just ONE idea.

Hi Bob,

The discs are a sort of silverish colour - the brand is "RED". Wink I did burn at the slowest it would burn, with the maximum sample rate i could use for the space available (i found increasing the sample rate increased the space needed to burn it), think it was 192kHz from memory.
Thanks for the reply anyway - i've a feeling it's either the discs (hope not, still got about 80+ of them!) or perhaps it was my old pc.

Cheers
Dave

Collapse -
That might be a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2012 3:27 PM PST
In reply to: RED? Nah - silver-ish!
Collapse -
Answer
Try using
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 9:05 AM PST

16-bit @ 44100 Hz Red Book for cd. 24 bit @ 96 kHz or higher I use for my converted vinyl to play in dvd players and pc. If I want to play my converted vinyl in a car or home cd player I use 16-bit @ 44100 Hz. Your store bought cd is 16 bit @ 44100HZ or 24 bit @ 44100Hz. I burn at 8X which is my slowest speed for JVC/Taiyo Yuden cdrs.

Collapse -
How many bits?
by Laird_Scooby / January 28, 2012 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Try using

Thanks Ed, understand what you're saying about the sample rate etc and went as high as i could. Don't understand about the different amount of bits as i don't believe i have that function available?

To give you an idea, if memory serves correctly, i used 192kHz sample rate and burned at 4x which was the slowest it would go.

The discs play fine in everything except the car but the original discs play fine in the car, except obviously the vinyl!
As stated in the original post, i'm not willing to change the head unit or CD changer as it was factory fit in 1994 as standard kit - this was when most new cars didn't even get a single-shot CD/radio unit! Also the car is pretty much original (apart from a few tasteful and/or reliability mods) and really want to keep it that way.

Cheers
Dave

Collapse -
How are you making this cd ?
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: How many bits?

Copy cd to cdr direct ?
Ripping to pc ?

I burn cds all the time, here is my way.
I don't change the sample rates ever for cds

EAC http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ Guide http://carltonbale.com/cd-audio-extraction (or your choice of ripper)
rip to pc in wave as Image file
I burn with Ashampoo, but a good free burner is Burnaware free http://www.burnaware.com/
Burn the Image file using the cue file provided by EAC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29 from EAC.
Now I have a perfect 1 to 1 copy.

My way does have a learning curve, but make the best 1 to 1 cdrs.

Only when converting vinyl to digital do I play with bit rate using 24 bit @ 96 kHz for dvd and 16-bit @ 44.1 kHz for cd

Collapse -
How am i making them?
by Laird_Scooby / January 28, 2012 10:08 PM PST

The main reason i changed the sample rates was to try and improve the quality of reproduction.
In general i ripped to pc from the CD or copied to pc using Audacity if it was from vinyl. I'm still confused about this bit rate though?

Collapse -
You should just rerip without changing anything.
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 29, 2012 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: How am i making them?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.