Phones

General discussion

Poor customer support from Inphonic.com/Wirefly.com

by Stormie / July 19, 2004 9:53 PM PDT

I placed an order on 6/17/04 which was the beginning of a nightmare! I could not get accurate inforamtion about my order and their customer service hides behind email because I was unable to contact anyone by telephone. I was told on one occasion(via email) that my order had been shipped but when I attempted to check on the shipping status I was informed that my order was still being processed. Finally, after three weeks I received the telephone with a congratulatory letter welcoming me as a customer and informing me of my new wireless telephone number with AT&T but by then I had decided to cancel my order and return the phone. I followed their instructions to return the phone and when I called AT&T to cancel the service I was informed that a number had not been activated for me and the number Wirefly/Inphonic told me was mine, was actually assigned to someone else and in use. When I called to get a return authorization I finally got to speak with someone in customer service who wanted to know why I wanted to return the phone. He didn't seem to be too concerned when I outlined the problems I had experienced.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poor customer support from Inphonic.com/Wirefly.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poor customer support from Inphonic.com/Wirefly.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Poor customer support from Inphonic.com/Wirefly.com
by enj / July 28, 2004 3:38 AM PDT

I am so glad that you report your experiences with the dealer. I was going to order phone service from them. I guess I have to find a new dealer. Thanks for your info.

Collapse -
S.C.A.M = wirefly/infonic
by dandelion267 / December 6, 2005 3:35 AM PST

SCAM, i tells ya
I wish I found this info. before I placed my order. OH.MY.DOG. There is NO customer service. The links they gave in the original responce to my order do not work. Phone #s are a no go. I ordered Sprint phones and a Sprint plan, but when I called Sprint this morning to check on my account (after I read these warnings), they have no information on a plan, or any phones for me! What they did have was an application. Period. I called my bank and my account has already been charged. Oy vey. Thankfully wash. mutual can treat if as a FRAUDULENT transaction, since it is, but then I need to get a new card. If that's what it takes to fix this mess, I'm still luckier than other people.
Sorry folks. DO NOT BUY FROM WIREFLY!! DO NOT BUY FROM WIREFLY!! DO NOT BUY FROM WIREFLY!! DO NOT BUY FROM WIREFLY!!

Portland OR

P.S. the reason i ordered through them instead of sprint is because they had better phones and a better deal(so I stupidly thought).

Collapse -
SCAM
by cklips / December 9, 2005 2:27 AM PST

I almost orderes a phone from Wirefly cause the deal sounded to good to be true I guess the old saying does if it sounds to good to be true it is.
Thanks for saving me all that grief

Collapse -
I have bought from them twice and will again.
by cnetforumsdude / February 17, 2006 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: SCAM
Collapse -
what really gets me..
by mightyphung / February 17, 2006 4:00 AM PST

... is that everyone seems to think that phones really are free and that selling them is pure profit for these companies. Actually, even before rebates are paid out they are losing money. They pay $300 for a phone that they offer for $100 and then $100 rebate back. It's too risky a business model for my tastes, but that means no matter what the customer wins. Either you paid $100 or you paid nothing for a phone that would have cost you $300 otherwise.

Quit crying in your milk. You want to pay retail, go to the store. jeesh

Collapse -
So much better than the Nextel store!!!!!!
by jenseits / February 17, 2006 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: what really gets me..

I tried going to the Nextel store thinking teh reps would be helpful afterall I didn't know what I was looking for. It was aful. After waiting for an hour (and they don't even haave friggin chairs!!) I left.

Went to buy.com, which i know realize is an INphonic partner and was done with my purchase in just a few minutes. and the website has all the information right there about each phone so i could compare. The snot nose kid at the nextel store wouldn't have known all that. AAAAANNDDDD.... buy.com/inphonic not only had all the other carrier phones to pick from, they had a better selection of nextel phones then nextle did.

jenseits
Phones came right away, I got to keep my number, they ported right after I got the new phones and everything is cool. hell, even if i had to pay the same or more (which i didn't- i got a sweet deal) I'd still pick online over phone store anyday.

Collapse -
Tell me about it, NEXTEL stores SUCK!
by wirelesswendy / February 17, 2006 4:21 AM PST

Some guy there totally tried hitting on me. He was totally skeezy. I tell all my friends to go to Verizon instead so he doesn't get paid his commision. hahaha! I don't think he's there anymore though. Maybe he got canned. i can hope.

Collapse -
Got my phones promptly. Happy customer. AAA+++
by dudeyougotadell / February 17, 2006 4:42 AM PST

My experience was awesome. Ordered Friday at around 6pm. Chose the "free" shipping (be sure to check this box because otherwise they get you $15.00 for overnight!). Phone arrived on Monday and my number was switched automatically the next day. Wow! I agree with the others. Will never buy a phone the old way again.

Collapse -
Have to agree. For cell phones, they rock.
by jigglypuffy / February 17, 2006 5:10 AM PST

I got the RAZR from them as soon as it was available from somebody other than Cingular. Finally replaced my big fugly old phone and got a RAZR for the same price as the newer big fugly phone that they were offering at the store. Got a free bluetooth headset too!

Collapse -
the ONLY way to get cell phone discounts
by quakerwildcat / February 17, 2006 6:32 AM PST

the only way to get cell phone discounts is to buy from an authorized agent and sign a contract. Just look for a sign that says "authorized agent". These are middlemen who are authorized to activate phones for the carrier.

Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc literally pay these agents hundreds of dollars to get you to sign up for a contract. In exchange, the agents give you huge discounts on the phones... ironically much better deals than you can get from the company store.

here in NYC that means you either buy from one of the little korean stores, or you go online. the korean shops can be seedy but most will negotiate. online just do a search and you'll find a lot of internet stores, but they almost all ship the phones through the same company. it's pretty legit. http://www.inc.com/resources/inc500/profiles/top25-2004/inphonic.html no matter what, the phones all come from the carrier.

Collapse -
Stores = Higher Price + Lousy phone
by enricor / February 17, 2006 7:20 AM PST

wildcat you have summed it up nicely.

Collapse -
Nothing but good experience here...
by cnetmaildotcom / February 17, 2006 12:23 PM PST

I am cautious with web sites i've never heard of so I called them to order. I hate the press 1, press 2 phone menus but the person I spoke to was terrific and really very helpful. I think her name was sharon. I rate it as one of the better shopping experiences.

Collapse -
Good customer experience
by moderateeverything / February 17, 2006 12:36 PM PST

I have have bought probably about six phones over the last 12 years and never had a bad customer experience. Then again, I'm unusual. I really like Nokia phones. Everybody else seems to think I'm backwards. For my money, if it's inexpensive and built like a brick, and I can drop it and beat it up and it still works like a charm, then why would I want something else? I've tried ATT, Sprint, Verizon, Cingular and it's the truth they all work fine. I get the phones free on the internet without any rebates. No hassles. I don't think I'm missing anything. Just get a new phone every 2 years.

Collapse -
I love my new Nokia
by justinsgranny / February 17, 2006 12:48 PM PST

I have to agree. The choices can be confusing and I needed help. I don't even want to look at phones that have cameras and video and all that nonsense. It's a phone for goodness sake! I had somebody on the phone help me pick this little Nokia and it's just terrific and best of all it didn't cost me a dime.

Collapse -
Great deals on Motorola phones
by fishmongerconsultant / February 17, 2006 12:59 PM PST

Motorola is just cleaning Nokia's clock lately. They used to be a lot more expensive than Nokias but now there are great deals even the RAZR is free on the web site with either Cingular or T-Mobile. I'm torn because the new SLVR just came out and that price will drop soon. If I go for the RAZR now I'm locked into it for the 2 year contract... should I wait??? What to do?

Collapse -
Just do it. No worries!
by fishmongerconsultant / February 17, 2006 1:17 PM PST

fishmonger just do it. It's what you want. money back guarantee, no worries.

Collapse -
Got my phones! That was fast.
by cnetmaildotcom / February 18, 2006 5:00 AM PST

Ordered Friday am, got e-mail statuses Friday afternoon about processing then shipping, arrived Saturday. Woo Hoo!!! They are charging now along with the bluetooth headsets. Could not wait any longer to go bluetooth and we are very excited (ok I'm excited... my wife is rolling her eyes).

Collapse -
Do they still have Nextel stores?
by cnet_god / February 18, 2006 7:45 PM PST

I thought Nextel only sold now through agent stores.

Collapse -
My company buys through Corporate Wireless
by cnetmaildotcom / February 19, 2006 12:15 AM PST

My company buys Nextel through a company called Corporate Wireless, but I don't use Nextel for personal phone. I don't think I've ever seen an actual Nextel store.

Collapse -
Fast shipping, great service A+
by drew38 / February 26, 2006 1:22 AM PST

They were so helpful on the phone, everything was easy, and I got it FAST. One of the best, most professional web purchases I've made.

Collapse -
Fast shipping, great service A+
by drew38 / February 26, 2006 1:23 AM PST

They were so helpful on the phone, everything was easy, and I got it FAST. One of the best, most professional web purchases I've made!

Collapse -
Oops!
by drew38 / February 26, 2006 1:24 AM PST

Sorry. Double post.

Collapse -
for cnetgod
by tbenzinger / April 24, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

yes, cnetgod, they're still doing Nextel phones. I just checked.

Collapse -
razors
by thaitaner / April 24, 2006 2:07 AM PDT

The razor is still the featured free phone? When will something new come out?

Collapse -
Inphonic rebates
by farry2 / February 17, 2006 10:49 AM PST

Not true. I did everything right, still can not get 2 $100 rebates plus $40 in taxers they charged me, when they shouldn't have. This is a ripoff company.

First they claimed I have sent in the "wrong" UPC code. Rigggghhhhtttt! I got part of the rebate.

Now, they claim they never received my form for the 2nd rebate. I would like to initiate a class action lawsuit against them.

Collapse -
Assistance
by ddennis-from-wirefly / February 17, 2006 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: Inphonic rebates

Hi farry2,
just noticed your posting. Let me try to help you. I can request your submission from the rebate company and if I can confirm that we have the form with all the other required materials sent in, I can go ahead and have your rebate reprocessed. Send me an email with your order number.

Doreen Dennis
InPhonic
ddennis(at)inphonic.com

Collapse -
Check D. Dennis track record
by badday9 / February 18, 2006 10:13 AM PST

If you will read the many posted responses regarding D.Dennis- you will not find any truth or satisfied customers. Beware of those claims of satisfaction. There is no reason for them to come here other than being employed by inphonic.

Collapse -
perfectly legit
by cnet_god / February 18, 2006 7:51 PM PST

Submission address is White Bear Lake MN. That's CPG. Same processor as Dell, Lexar, Amazon others AFAIK. Just read their financials. They sell like a million phones a year and are 10 times larger than anybody else selling phones. Sheer volume says they'll get complaints. It's like saying Cingular is running a S.C.A.M. because so many people complain about them. They only have 50 million customers.

Collapse -
lost mail
by Ethan Bowen / March 10, 2006 11:30 PM PST

You people all think you postal services is the greatest thing and they never lose mail. well its time to wake up.

Collapse -
WHITE BEAR LAKE IS NOT CPG
by greekgodmachine / March 10, 2006 11:59 PM PST

white bear lake is another rbeat processing center
who lost the contract
CPG and white bear... not the same

thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.