Samsung

Rant

poor blacks samsung smarthub apps

by 1Tom_Cruise / October 10, 2012 10:51 AM PDT

have samsung 46 7000d led with latest firmware..the apps for vudu and plex are almost unusable due to washed out blacks. can we expect a fix. Note: Netflix looks good. No amount calibration fixes this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: poor blacks samsung smarthub apps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: poor blacks samsung smarthub apps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Poor Blacks Samsung SmartHub Apps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 11, 2012 12:33 AM PDT

Hi 1Tom_Cruise,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Could you clarify what the product model? Also, is it only the Vudu and Plex apps that are having this problem? How do Blu-rays look on it or other video sources?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
by 1Tom_Cruise / October 11, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

46" Class (45.9" Diag.) LED 7000 Series Smart TV - Model #: UN46D7000LFXZA

blu-ray, dlna media, and regular tv is fine, just some of the video apps in smarthub seem to be effected, netflix and youtube also seem to be fine

when i use vudu on ps3 it looks great, but in smarthub it is all washed out

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 11, 2012 7:13 AM PDT

Hi 1Tom_Cruise,

Thanks for that clarification. I'm sorry that the image quality isn't a good as you were anticipating in those two apps. Unfortunately, there's very little we can do about that as the app's presentation is controlled by the app developers for Vudu and Plex. Please contact the app developers to inform them of your issue.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
not a real answer
by 1Tom_Cruise / October 11, 2012 3:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Poor blacks
by itzme1234 / December 13, 2012 12:06 PM PST

I posted this same issue in another thread (just search Poor Blacks) about my pn59d8000 running on fw 1022. Now that so many of us have demonstrated where the issue lies, with Samsung fw greater than 1015, how can we all help you as the Tech bring about a fix? thanks.

Collapse -
Poor blacks still present
by kimbler123 / December 16, 2012 1:24 AM PST

Hi Samsung HD Tech,

I have a UE40ES6800 and this issue is still very much present on SMART TV applications. The black levels are broken when running certain apps. As other people have stated this only occurred after a firmware update early this year.

Please could you raise this internally and report back?

A simple reproduction can be achieved by ensuring you are on the latest firmware and installing the PLEX application.

As this bug seems to be impact a number of different applications and the PLEX developers say it is not an issue they have any control of the community feel that the problem is very much Samsung's to address.

Thank you for your assistance in getting this finally addressed.

-Neil

Collapse -
Re: Poor blacks still present
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2012 5:13 AM PST

Hi kimbler123,

Thanks for your message. But just so you know, I support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for the UK. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So if you want to raise awareness here's the Samsung UK portal for support on that product so you can contact your country's support: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40ES6800UXXU

HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung forum: poor blacks samsung smarthub apps
by tinu86 / December 12, 2012 6:44 PM PST

The same for me! It's Samungs fault because downgrading the firmware to 1015 fixes the problem!!! And also the Plex and Vudu developpers say that this is Samsungs bug. Please finally fix this, it can't be that hard if you know that firmware 1015 works!

Collapse -
re: poor blacks samsung smarthub apps
by 1Tom_Cruise / September 29, 2013 7:44 AM PDT

can't believe Samsung still have not fixed the blacks in their smarthub...last time i buy a Samsung tv.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.