Phones forum

General discussion

Poll: Would you wear a smartwatch?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 12, 2013 9:24 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Would you wear a smartwatch?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Would you wear a smartwatch?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I owned the older Palm Watch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 9:43 AM PST show it but given it didn't hold a charge long I stopped wearing it.

I wrote (and still do) PalmOS apps so beyond the many watch faces it had, you could create your own.

Yes, I had a few. But the battery not lasting for months as it needs to was the end of it.

The phones have the time and work quite well at that.
Collapse -
**** Tracy calling Headquarters
by netsiu / February 12, 2013 11:12 AM PST

I have found it comical and predictable that inovative people strugle to and eventually do produce products entioned in cartoons and Science Fiction. And how eagerly people clammer to buy them.

Collapse -
Scotty, Beam me up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 2:07 AM PDT

The cell phone was such a device too.

Collapse -
Years ago
by itsdigger / October 29, 2013 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Scotty, Beam me up.

I heard the first factory to be built in outer space would be a ball bearing factory because poyring molten metal in a perfect vacume would give a perfect sphere...Still waiting...Digger

Collapse -
That idea was from decades ago when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Years ago

You have to do a little time travel to those days when that idea came up. Making round things was hard only a few decades ago and ball bearing plants were annoying expensive. Times have changed and we have achieved new heights or got around the problem.

Example at

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe you should have incorporated a Joule thief lol
by itsdigger / October 29, 2013 2:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) BTW. I love that circuit. Let there be light.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 2:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Smart" phones, and now "smart" watches? LOL.
by sbill / February 12, 2013 1:45 PM PST

I not only wouldn't wear a so-called "smart" watch, I openly scoff at the idea! I am proud to be cellphone-free, Facebook-free, tablet-free, and I am overtly hostile to closed "ecosystems" such as Apple iOS. I prefer my landline phone, PC computer, and standard "time and date only" wristwatch. When are people going to wake up to the fact that all this technology is making us dumber and unhappier?

Collapse -
Poll on wearing iwatch
by birdy1928 / February 12, 2013 3:49 PM PST

I am with sbil:

When will Apple stop trying to outdo itself by foisting another i-thingy on us made in China?

Leave watches up to the Swiss!

Disclosure: Ours is a mixed techno-race household - M$oft/Mac. Having made that admission, I have excluded myself from any i-gadget give-away.

Collapse -
Don't see the point of them tbh
by Nerosas / February 12, 2013 4:02 PM PST

Only benefit I could see is you can change faces, but then if you don't like the face of your watch why get it. I think if people do buy them it will just be a fad. I don't think more faces justifies spending more money on a watch. Personally I don't wear watches because it tells the time on my phone, and I think watches full stop may actually be going out of fashion.

Collapse -
One more thing for Apple Pickers to target
by Call_Me / February 12, 2013 11:32 PM PST

I live in Chicago, where like New York and other large urban centres, 40% of crime is stealing Apple products or Apple Picking. You get knocked on the head for an iPhone; what next, hands being chopped off for an iWatch? No thank you, neither from Apple nor Android. Epic fail except for Hipsters, and they deserve what justice is handed out to them.

Collapse -
by rosiejim / February 12, 2013 4:33 PM PST

Now I have got a few gadgets (even have good tools still in their boxes unused) but this tosh is not for me . If people want to buy them , it is their choice . Apple may be losing their way , I suppose it was enevitable .

Collapse -
by zclayton3 / February 13, 2013 2:04 AM PST

Somebody spent too much time reading **** Tracey in the comix. As Firesign Theater noted: "Forward into the past!"

Collapse -
Would you wear a smartwatch?
by Carlton102 / May 4, 2013 3:52 AM PDT

Not a chance. I haven't even warmed up to the idea of an Eco-Drive, Precisionist, or G-Shock yet... I'll wait until they can implant the chip in my head. Besides I don't need one because I'm a replicant.

Collapse -
What do some of you think today ???
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 12:16 AM PDT

With the latest crop of devices, has anyone changed their opinion about this? I just got the Pebble Smart Watch and I am very impressed. It is certainly much more affordable than the Samsung Gear and it works with many more devices.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.