Deals forum

General discussion

Poll: Would you use Amazon lockers?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 7, 2012 6:58 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Would you use Amazon lockers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Would you use Amazon lockers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Amazon lockers
by tbpannonius / November 7, 2012 7:47 AM PST

Yes

Collapse -
Re: Amazon Lockers
by mntncougar / November 7, 2012 7:47 AM PST

I don't get it- what's the point? I order from Amazon all the time and at least 95% of the time I get free shipping - either super saver or from the vendor. I doubt they will do expedited shipping to the locker for free and I won't order from a vendor unless the shipping is free or low or the item is low-priced. For the few items left I might use it, but from Amazon's point of view it doesn't make business sense. I'll bet 99% of their customers shop the same way I do.

Collapse -
Agreed!
by dlmadm / November 7, 2012 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Amazon Lockers

I also use Amazon all the time. I had been using their 'spend $25 and ship free' rule for ages. I just make sure that I have $25 worth of stuff that I want to get. I recently got into Amazon Prime as a free trial and I have to admit that I love it. It's nice to see something for say, $10.99, and just buy it with free shipping! And you're right, for me there is no point. I think it would be good for people that don't want to join Prime and don't want to spend $25 just then. Although their book shipping rate is very reasonable. So, you are right again I think. Doesn't make good business sense when they can get their Prime membership dollars. On the otherhand, what are the 'agents', aka, Staples paying to them to get people in their stores??

Collapse -
Would not use...
by dsl1422 / November 7, 2012 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: Agreed!

Agreed again with mtncougar and dlmadm, I use Amazon often, and search for the items that are free shipping over $25.00. I like the fact that items are delivered to my door, and not include yet another middle man. There are reasons I don't shop at Wal-Mart, etc., employees that seem bothered by you the consumer, hassle finding parking, long check out lines. If I wanted to go to a big box store, I would not be shopping Amazon. Amazon already has a great process, why mess with that?

Collapse -
Amazon Lockers - new
by Sanaus / November 7, 2012 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Amazon Lockers

I'm with Mntncougar, I order all the time from Amazon too and most of the time free shipping. I'm satisfied the way it is.

Collapse -
I would use it because...
by eddiesmith / November 7, 2012 7:48 AM PST

as a public speaker, I would prefer to have my books
and materials sent to a location in the city in which I'm
scheduled to teach.

Amazon Lockers would allow me to have the resources
delivered there, without cost to me, and available for
me to pick up when I arrive in town.

Great idea!

Eddie Smith

Collapse -
Definitely Great Idea
by 2dogday / November 7, 2012 11:08 AM PST

I've been doing this for for years with several stores. It's so convenient, and Staples is only about 3 miles away from where I live. Staples lets you order anything from their online catalog and pick it up at their local store without paying shipping or handling charges. They have your receipt in their data base, so you don't even have to print a copy of your online receipt to show that you paid for it. Of course, you have to show them your cr. cd. for your ID. If you join Staples membership program, also free, they give you a number to use when you pick up the merchandise.

Collapse -
I get it!
by bluebery / November 23, 2012 11:04 PM PST

I am not a traveler. You have shed some light on a positive use for the lockers.

Collapse -
Amazon Lockers - who needs them
by EdZachary / November 7, 2012 7:50 AM PST

First, I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber, so for most of what I buy it's irrelevant.
Second, this just adds another middle person into my transaction. Maybe it doesn't cost anything, but if I get to the store and there's some snafu - they gave my order to the wrong guy or it was dropped or something, who's responsible?

Collapse -
Only for something really big
by cbemis / November 7, 2012 7:56 AM PST

I'm a big Amazon user as I live 30 miles from the nearest big shopping area.
Their prices are good, the reviews extremely helpful and I don't have to go anywhere. So of course I use Amazon Prime. It's definiley worth it. But for people who live close to big box stores, I do think it would increase their foot traffic. Of course, I just ordered cartridges from Staples through ShopDiscover, never left my computer and got 5% cash back. It's so easy to shop online. And shipping is where many online companies make their $$. I worked in a museum store for awhile and shipping was one great way to make money for us. So I think for some people this could be great. Just not me.

Collapse -
What if they put these lockers at 7-elevens or post office?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 7, 2012 9:00 AM PST

I'm sure they are thinking about other places beside big box retailers.

Cheers,
-Lee

Collapse -
I think so
by Pentax69 / November 7, 2012 10:38 AM PST

I think they would have to try and get other places to get them to take their shipments, but mayeb they aren't loking for the small town buyers. The only box store I have near me is WalMart. Otherwise I'd have to travel more than 80 miles one way and with gas prices I won't do that. We have a store downtown, that will wrap/box your stuff for UPS to come pick up. Which is great because UPS is only open for an hour and half, and its outside of town. .

Collapse -
Tut, tut
by ColdWest / November 8, 2012 4:59 AM PST

Lee - I am surprised that you would reply with a NON-factual opinion!

Remember what "assume" means?

Collapse -
no.. not unless it would be sent to walmarts...
by hilda4jc / November 7, 2012 7:59 AM PST

it would cost more to go get it than it would cost to send it to my house... we have a small town and there are no big venders close... all are 25 ot 50 miles away or more... thanks but no I would not use it...

Collapse -
Not a convenience for everyone
by Sylvia Lambert / November 7, 2012 8:25 AM PST

The nearest Staples is 65 miles away so that would not be an option for me. I usually make sure I have at least $25 in order to qualify for free shipping but I realize that more items are no longer qualifying for free shipping and perhaps this is Amazon's answer to dropping the free shipping option.

Collapse -
Why would I??
by ninesenshi / November 7, 2012 8:06 AM PST

Unless you order something small you get FREE shipping anyway. I guess if they ship it fast to the retailers it might make some sense to somebody. As for the retailers I hope they are making good money on this deal because they need to do everything they can to hurt Amazon, not help them. Maybe they have admitted the inevitable and given up the fight...

Collapse -
Amazon lockers
by compneophyte / November 7, 2012 8:10 AM PST

I am in my eighties .. no transpotation ...an invalid...no helper. Otherwise I think it is a great idea.

Collapse -
Amazon Lockers
by scherran / November 7, 2012 8:13 AM PST

I voted "maybe" because I really don't shop Amazon because of the shipping costs, which are horrendous here in Canada. I noticed that the article said "in the U.S.". If this service were to be offered in Canada, I would start to check out Amazon for my would-be purchases & perhaps start buying from the on-line store.

Collapse -
Probably not.
by Fishman69 / November 7, 2012 8:14 AM PST

Amazon shipping is currently free (though slightly slower) for orders over $25.00. It is not clear to me that shipping to Staples would be any faster and then I would have to go to Staples to get the package. I just wait until my order is more than $25.00 before placing it and I order enough stuff from Amazon that that is rarely very long.

Harvey

Collapse -
Amazon lockers
by jwhite18816 / November 7, 2012 8:15 AM PST

Of course I would make us of this. Shipping is a big factor on smaller items.

Collapse -
I don't know
by ESUNintel / November 7, 2012 8:15 AM PST

I have a Prime membership and get things quickly in the mail, so I'm not sure if I would want to visit a retail store on the way home from work. If it some how means getting things the same day (that would be great), or the next day without having to pay the premium, than sure, I suppose I can visit my closest locker.

I wonder if these locations will be like the new Starbucks for those using Amazon's discussion boards?

Collapse -
amazon lockeers
by codasys / November 7, 2012 8:17 AM PST

IN Canada ?

Collapse -
Most likely
by byu1980 / November 7, 2012 8:19 AM PST

There are numerous times when I've wanted to make a purchase but the total isn't at least $25. As long as the lockers are at retailers close by, I'll use them since the gas cost will be less than the shipping cost. It's a lot of trouble to try adding something I wasn't shopping for to an order just to qualify for Super Saver shipping. And I don't shop Amazon often enough to warrant an Amazon Prime membership.

Collapse -
What about Amazon vendors?
by tbrooks321 / November 7, 2012 8:21 AM PST

If I buy several used books or items that are coming from Amazon resellers, does this same free shipping to a local store apply? It's clearly a great idea and Staples is a good store to partner with.

Collapse -
Amazon lockers not for me!
by jameseaton42 / November 7, 2012 8:29 AM PST

As a senior I would lose the convenience home delivery!

Collapse -
Amazon Lockers
by macatk55 / November 7, 2012 8:35 AM PST

Yes I would use it if I could pick it up at the Staples warehoue in Anchorage, AK. Otherwise no because we do not have a Staples store located in Alaska.

Collapse -
NO
by al4us1 / November 7, 2012 8:38 AM PST

I would not use Amazon lockers as I am a double amputee and would have no way of gettying to Staples or any other store to pick it up. I never had any problem with shipping to my place and will continue to do so.

Collapse -
No - It's already free shipping if you order at least $25
by triplet grandmom / November 7, 2012 8:54 AM PST

I am practically unable to order less than $25 at once from Amazon. Then shipping is free (if it is an Amazon in-stock product, which I prefer anyway).

No point in driving to a big box store and standing in line while some obnoxious teenaged clerk tries to find my order. Had enough trouble already with site-to-store orders. They don't even get that right, much less ship to a "locker". Tell that to a sullen teen or older than teen employee at a big box store. They would look at you like you just sprouted horns.

Collapse -
Grandmom, grandmom
by ColdWest / November 8, 2012 5:15 AM PST

Are you so down about teens? Really? Try a little love, everyone has to start somewhere, most of them learn fast or are gone anyway. But think for a moment, have you never had to pick up a parcel shipped by mail, Purolator or FedEx, etc.? Did you have a problem? Why assume the worst?

Food for thought... have a good day

You may sign me as "Grandfather of 7 including teens"... all of whom I am proud as I suspect you must be by your penname.

Collapse -
Amazon locker or not
by jrfoleyjr / November 7, 2012 9:06 AM PST

No money saved in this age of $3.50 and up per gallon gasoline. Especially if the nearest locker is across town. For me it is easier to ship to my residence. It will only get pricier for gas because of the recent election and the ensuing energy policies like what has driven prices to the point they are at now.

I vote NOT!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.