Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: Would you use a self-destructing e-mail app?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 2, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Would you use a self-destructing e-mail app?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Would you use a self-destructing e-mail app?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have no need for a self-destructing email
by deutschw / July 2, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

I generally try not to post or send in email anything that I would be upset to see in my local newspaper. When I really need to do so, I encrypt it tightly enough that there is little chance that anyone with the ability to break it would find it worth the cost. And when the reader opens such a note I expect them to delete and use a good scrubber to get rid of the residue -- so hopefully, it is not even on the users machine. But there are not many messages I send that are worth that effort, to me!

In addition, unless I really know and understand what "self destructing" means in this context and the algorithm used to implement it, I would be unlikely to trust it anyway!!

Collapse -
No
by mwooge / July 2, 2013 11:55 AM PDT

No. If I want to delete something, I delete it. And it'll still be there later if I need it.

Collapse -
It will never work, because....
by sixit / July 2, 2013 12:12 PM PDT

It's not possible. The email client would have to comply, and as soon as something like this gains traction, a whole slew of email clients will emerge without compliance.

Further, if I'm sent an email that's not in plain-text or has to be retrieved from a server somewhere, the sender's getting a nastygram in response.

Screen captures cannot be prevented, and too many problems with lost emails or undelivered emails will abound.

Sorry, this Holy Grail will never be found.

Collapse -
Destructible e-mail?
by Ron Geiken / July 2, 2013 1:07 PM PDT

Most of the the things that I send by e-mail are either read and saved or read and deleted. When I send some specific e-mail that tells how to solve a problem, hopefully it will be kept until the problem is solved. I'm sure my recipients will delete my e-mail when they figure they no longer need them. I never send any e-mail that I wouldn't want shown obviously without my name attached to it. I send both instructional e-mails and joke e-mails. I save emails that are part of a string of conversation so that I can follow on with the conversation easily. If someone is too paranoid about having their e-mail saved, then they probably shouldn't have sent it.

Collapse -
Deleting/Self-destructing emails... Mission Impossible 4sure
by Thomas L Clements / July 2, 2013 2:13 PM PDT

In the past experience and instruction with pcs that I've had, I have found that it is usually common for those who feel the need/want to use such an app are outwitted by those they are fighting. Those causing the need are knowledgable enough to find their own way around the fixes created and avoid the efforts made by the victims leaving them no better off than before. The efforts in the end become useless (outside of other lessons learned). As a simple example off the side: With my diabetes/epilepsy, the times I need to be able to think and reason the most for my better, are the times I can function the least. (details available upon personal request) The evil has the intelligence, while the good fights to stand strong it seems to come easy to the adversary. Long live our righteous and useful efforts for good. Right will prevail so continue to acheive your place there. We must continue to place our efforts where it counts in the long run and will show good in the end. Tom.

Collapse -
For the average person, common sense
by 4Denise / July 3, 2013 12:13 AM PDT

There is absolutely no reason for most people to ever use such a feature. It would be foolish to send information in an email that you do not want the recipient to have. What would be the point?

I could see a potential for some government applications, and possibly business. If the information being sent was "top secret" then it might be good to have the recipient view it and then destroy it, but if you trust a recipient enough to send the message in the first place, then you should trust him or her to destroy it once it has served its purpose.

One way or the other, there would be a way to defeat such technology. There always is.

Collapse -
Would you use a self-destructing e-mail app?
by deltoncbaker / July 3, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

First of all I think people would be very stupid to believe it actually works.
The old saying "Once its in the EITHER it is out there for EVER." would still hold true.
Mail servers are required by LAW to keep copies of all your E-MAIL's.
(That especially includes those in the office place.)
So, if your email were to self destruct for real the Legal Authorities would have a conniption fit.
Don't be fooled!
P.S.
Don' t send anything you will be ashamed of later.

Collapse -
Fourth choice: Don't know if I would or not.
by netsiu / July 7, 2013 1:57 PM PDT

First I've heard of it. But would be the perfect way to mess with someones mind who also hasn't heard of it.

Thinking of all the email I have sent or received I would say NO because none has been of such that if kept or intercepted would be incriminating or exposing of legal or personnel information of value to others.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.