Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Poll: Would you subscribe to Microsoft Office?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 29, 2013 8:28 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Would you subscribe to Microsoft Office?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Would you subscribe to Microsoft Office?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I bought Word 2007 last
by wpgwpg / January 29, 2013 8:47 AM PST

I'm still using MS Works for a spreadsheet, but I did upgrade from Word 2002 to the 2007 version 2 years ago because the places I support are using it. Thank goodness for the free 3rd party program UbitMenu which reinstates most of the menu items we had with the 2003 version and earlier. I use the free PowerPoint viewer. I've looked at the free LibreOffice and am impressed with it, but for now I'll stick with Word 2007 and MS Works.

Collapse -
RE: Poll: Would you subscribe to Microsoft Office?
by MJR / January 29, 2013 9:09 AM PST

No. I have an objection to paying for something I purchased this year, again and again during subsequent years.

Actually, I don't RENT anything.

Collapse -
Not only "NO", but "Hell No"...
by Save_Me_from_my_Govt / January 29, 2013 9:13 AM PST

I won't pay them over and over again to use the same software I should only have to pay for once...(And THAT is over-priced.)

Collapse -
Subscribe to Office?
by pauly1651 / January 29, 2013 9:22 AM PST

Nope. Nada. Zip. totally NOT!

Collapse -
Yes!!!!
by BillTJohnson / January 29, 2013 9:31 AM PST

I've already subscribed....it's a great deal. If I purchased Office Pro 2013, it costs $399.99 for one license. Since I currently have 4 PCs, that would be a total of $1599.96. For $99.99 for a one year subscription, I can renew for 16 years before I would spend the same amount of money. It's really a no brainer in my case.

Collapse -
What a waste of money
by Joe_Wulf / January 29, 2013 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Yes!!!!

... sending it to Micro$loth. Libraoffice is a clear market leader---AND---it works!

Collapse -
RE: what a waste of money
by mperu22 / January 29, 2013 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: What a waste of money

I agree, I use Libre Office (FREE) as well, mostly on my Linux (FREE) Operating System
and you are correct, not only does it work, it works very well!
Give Kingsoft Suite a try., its free for windows. It works great for those are want the look and feel of
MS Office.

Collapse -
U R right
by bikerrich / January 29, 2013 10:39 AM PST

For me, a one man band, Kingsoft and Open Office work just fine. For cheap, I'd do the Microsoft thing. But I only really need word processing, not all the other stuff. Rent me Word for 2.99 a month, and I'm probably in. (I still miss WordPerfect)

Collapse -
RE: wordperfect
by mperu22 / January 29, 2013 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: U R right
Collapse -
Why pay for what you can use elsewhere for free?
by mperu22 / January 29, 2013 9:40 AM PST

I use to use MS Office for a long time, however as i am slowly making that transition over to Linux, and opening my mind set to open source, i am finding a lot of great software packages that are FREE and do the exact same thing that MS office does!, Either on Windows or Linux. Now why would anyone pay a sick amount of money for this? there are many different choices to use. and they all can save the files as a MS formats for those who still want to use the Dark Side! Happy

- Open Office (Windows or Linux)
- Libre Office (Windows or Linux)
- Kingsoft Office Suite ( Windows)
- SSuite Office - Excalibur Release (Windows)
- Softmaker FreeOffice
- IBM Lotus Symphony (discontinued but still free) (Windows or Linux)

And for those of you who still want a cloud based app. you can use these free resources.

- Google Docs / Google Drive
- ThinkFree Online
- Zoho

I find most people I introduce some of these apps too are so use to Microsoft Office, that they tend to be scared
to use a new application, but after about an hour of just messing with the new Office App, and explaining the $0 cost! they become at ease and use it just as they did for MS Office.

Everyone in my family from grandparents to kids have been using Kingsoft Office Suite (Free) and Google Docs
and we have not touch MS Office in over a year.

Collapse -
no wold not rent or buy MS office,
by sergem42 / January 29, 2013 10:14 PM PST
I use open office and very satisfied with it
Collapse -
Agreed, except one thing.
by bl14 / January 30, 2013 12:04 PM PST

Thanks for posting the list. However, I would not recommend SSsuite office. It is a sort of malware and I only hope that I cleaned up all the garbage it put on my machine.

Collapse -
No way
by bl14 / January 29, 2013 9:54 AM PST

Open Office/Libre Office do just fine for me, at zero cost.

Collapse -
I bet the the poll "Nay-Sayers" currently pay nothing!
by mikeman61 / January 29, 2013 10:08 AM PST

The only way so many people flat-out say they'd not pay $99/yr is because they currently pay nothing. Either they have no idea what the legit licensing cost is because someone pays it for them in the form of an enterprise license or they have a pirated copy.

Yes, there are other free compatible versions of Office-like suites out there, but there's something to be said about universal compatibility. When I've not had access to MS office and had to use one of the alternative freebies, I've wasted more time (and billable hours) trying to get those products to yield deliverables in formats that are 100% compatible with what the client expects.

A $99/year subscription fee with cloud storage and support is a friggin bargain. Wake up you freeloaders nothing is free! If you've ever been in the software development business you'd know how challenging and time consuming it is to develop and support enterprise-wide software packages that you'd laugh at the highly affordable $99/year price tag.

Collapse -
I pay for my software
by iloveducks / January 29, 2013 10:12 AM PST

I tried Open Office, didn't like it at all. I happily pay for my MS Office. But... I use it for years, never want to upgrade because I'm happy with it the way it is. There's no way I'd even consider paying over and over and over again. I don't lease my car, either, for the same reason. It's a bad deal economically.

Collapse -
RE: I bet the the poll "Nay-Sayers" currently pay nothing!
by mperu22 / January 29, 2013 10:27 AM PST

*Soapbox Please*
I got TIRED! of paying for the same thing over and over and over and over again.
and like most people are tired of paying for bugs, hackable holes, virus/trojan prone MS products.

This "NAY SAYER" pays nothing and uses the free applications , am I at risk? absolutely! but for the cost of 0$
I will take that risk , I would much rather spend $0 dollars than $300 to $1000's of dollars on a product that still get viruses, worms, trojan and security holes. It's like you are paying for the problems.. NO THANK YOU! and i think you find a lot of people will agree with me on this.
PS! (I have no worries on my Linux systems and NO blue screens)

So, for those of us who actually know how to use other products find them to be just fine. and " My" clients and Co-Workers are not complaining at all. In fact I have a couple of clients that have switched because they are tired of the over price scandal of a glorified notepad product. There has yet to be one document that i could not format the same way that MS Office did. Spend a little time and effort on the free ones as you once did on MS Office and you find a playground of fun and free of frustrations, not to mention a buck saved in your back pocket.

*Steps off Soapbox*

Collapse -
Subscribing to MS Office - No
by bluegrassguitar / January 29, 2013 10:22 AM PST

Personally, I would not pay $99 per year for Office. Believe it or not, I still use Lotus 2000 SmartSuite, including 123 and Word Pro. I also use Openoffice.org (free) and get along just fine. I would switch from 123 to Excel except that I have files that go back 10 years (some updated daily) and I don't want to re-format those.

Collapse -
Lotus
by alias Winston Smith / January 29, 2013 12:36 PM PST

I've got a Lotus 2000 smart suit somewhere, it STILL has a few things that office is missing
I think I'll re-load it on desktop

Collapse -
Bury this corpse; it's starting to stink
by berninghausen / January 29, 2013 10:25 AM PST

Libre Office is free and as good as M$ Office. There are many other options, just as free. Some are better and some aren't. Choice is the primary value. Next, let's talk about non-Windows operating systems!

Collapse -
Microsoft Office 2013 subscription
by Roy Marques / January 29, 2013 10:38 AM PST

To me, this is a no brainer. I am about to purchase the Sony all in one Computer and was going to pay $120 for home and student 2010 version for $120. I will read up on this to make sure I understand it but intend to leave the office 2010 off my order now and buy the subscription instead. I run 3 computers at home -- 2 with earlier versions and one with office 2010.

This would save me a bunch of dollars in the long run even at $99 a year.

Collapse -
Microsoft Office 2013
by pussmonkey / January 29, 2013 10:55 AM PST

Microsoft is getting WAY to greedy ! It will be their undoing !

Collapse -
Waste of time
by Luhng / January 29, 2013 10:56 AM PST

I have a mid 90's version and even in the early 90's I discovered, with every new iteration of Word and Excel, they had a knack of adding more and more "improvements" (complicated pieces of rubbish that took longer to use than the time they allegedly saved). I'd be forced at work to accept the new product and it would take days to find all the "improvements" and turn them off through options.

So, even though the products I have include outdated Word (one of the worst programs in history which I didn't buy, I was given it) it still does what I need less pathetically than any new version is likely to. And I know every work around for it's failures there is to know.

(Don't get confused about "You just don't know how to work it"..... I'm a document drafter and business analyst so I am heavily engaged in Word and Excel. Just not a person who has time to play with features that offer nothing.)

Collapse -
(NT) No, Would go to another product.
by jiml / January 29, 2013 11:04 AM PST
Collapse -
I refuse to use M$ products
by jbatt / January 29, 2013 11:47 AM PST

My tablet is Android (Linux)
My phone is Android (Linux)
My HP laptop OS is Mint 14 w/Mate (Linux)
My graphics software is Gimp (Linux)
My office suite is LibreOffice (Linux)

There is a whole universe of free software out there and I have no problem being compatible with the M$ drones out there that are blindly giving away hard earned money.

Collapse -
"NEW" Micro soft office
by johnquinn32 / January 29, 2013 12:22 PM PST

I've been using "Open Office" for years.
Quite satisfied/

Collapse -
Each new version of Office is worse than the one before it!
by sbill / January 29, 2013 12:29 PM PST

Not only would I refuse to pay for a "subscription" to use the latest version of Office, I wouldn't even use it if it was free! Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft Works 4.5 (originally designed for Windows 95!) do everything I ever need to do, and then some. I am happy with the interface in these programs, and I know how to quickly and easily access the commands and features which I use. Furthermore, I already own these programs (so no need to shell out more $), and they work fine on my new PC's with Windows 7.

I don't like the interface in the newer versions of Office (2007, 2010, etc.) and I can't think of any reason to "upgrade" so I can then waste money for a new license, and waste time learning how to use it.

Collapse -
Maybe - we'll see
by wdbintx / January 29, 2013 12:43 PM PST

Not sure, but I might subscribe. When I first heard of it, I was a definite "no". But now that I hear the price, I will have to think about it. Across a total of 7 computers I maintain for myself & family, I now have a mixture of Office 2003, 2007 & 2010. The new "deal" would probably cost me a bit more than I've spent in the past, but it wouldn't be much more & I would have the advantage of having the latest on all devices. Of course, I couldn't keep up a couple of the oldest computers, but they are near end of life anyway. I mainly keep them active to use a couple of older programs that may get used once or twice a year, but won't run on anything newer than WinXP.

Collapse -
Would you subscribe to Microsoft Office?
by melusineusa / January 29, 2013 1:17 PM PST

- Yes, for me it's worth the money! especially with all the ancillary services thrown in.
It would probably cost as much or more to buy.
I was amazed to read the results to date, these people either work for corporations or the government, or they pirate it off... Confused

Collapse -
I don't use Microsoft Office products
by Merrily / January 29, 2013 8:18 PM PST

I'm continuing to use LotusSuite and Works and I like them both and even though I'm in a minority, especially in terms of Lotus I will hang on to them as long as I can. I'm retired but continue to use the computer a lot and do some personal writing, use Quicken for financial matters and can export Quicken information to Lotus spreadsheet (etc.), I have some Lotus Approach database home files, too. If the time comes when I upgrade my computer or make some changes where I can no longer use the Lotus program, then I will have to consider Microsoft Office, I guess, but I have been hoping I could, perhaps, use it online, when needed, at a much lower price, without actually installing it. That does not seem to be the case. I'm probably dreaming any way because it probably would have a too long learning curve to use the way I'm suggesting. Interesting thread, anyway.

Collapse -
MS 365
by ja-60 / January 29, 2013 8:34 PM PST

No, I do not use MS products. I use OpenOffice. Free and easy to use.

Ja

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.