PC Hardware

General discussion

Poll: Would you buy a touch-screen PC?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 30, 2013 9:29 AM PDT

To give you some perspective to this poll, read this CNET blog: Does it make sense to buy a PC with a touch screen?

Would you buy a touch-screen PC?

-- Yes, but only if it is a laptop/convertible laptop. (Why not desktops?)
-- Yes, including a laptop or desktop.
-- No, touch screens do not make sense on PCs. (Why not?)
-- No, because they are too expensive.
-- I'm still undecided. (What are you hung up on?)
-- Other. (What is it?)

Get your votes in here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2165.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Would you buy a touch-screen PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Would you buy a touch-screen PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see no reason for me to have a touch screen.
by pebarefoot / April 30, 2013 10:40 AM PDT

As a blind computer user who does everything with the keyboard and headphones, no mouse or monitor needed since I can't read it anyway. I have absolutely no use for a touch screen. I freely admit mine is a special case from most PC users.

Collapse -
Why fight it?
by feduchin / April 30, 2013 11:07 AM PDT

They will all be touch in a couple of years anyway. Actually I wouldn't go out and search for one, just that when they come I will use them like anybody else.
The fact is the PC is usually almost out of reach so touching the screen with one's hand waving in the air might be rather inaccurate and even something one can't be bothered with, but like anything, we would get used to it.
It's a similar situation to the keyboard/mouse argument around twenty years ago. Look at it now, everyone uses mouses (not mice, they run around on their own..) without a thought. Mind you there are still simple things that are much quicker with the keyboard, such as cut and paste, and save and close program [contr+w]

Collapse -
Why I want touch Screen
by myron62 / April 30, 2013 11:08 AM PDT

The customary configuration (mouse) is awkward to use in many situations, especially repetetive entries that require clicking the screen at various locations. It would be MUCH easier and more intuitive to touch the screen wherever needed than to have to keep moving the cursor by mouse. Touchpad is far worse.

Collapse -
No, touch screens do not make sense on PCs.
by kd5 / April 30, 2013 12:02 PM PDT

I've seen customer's regular LCD screens where they weren't even supposed to touch the screen, all gooped up and smeary from whatever they had on their fingers while they were poking at it. Monster Screen Cleaner and a micro fiber cloth cleaned it up just fine but the cloth had to be washed afterwards. No way in h*ll do I think touch screens are a smart move on a PC. No choice on a tablet or smart phone but I wouldn't have one on a desktop or laptop PC. I can't see reaching up where my monitor is to poke the screen (and I'd be p*ssed if somebody did), or hold the top of my laptop screen to poke at it. That's just seems ridiculous and stupid/silly to me.

Collapse -
Not ever for a desktop,
by gordon451 / April 30, 2013 12:20 PM PDT

and almost certainly not for a laptop/notebook.

I did see one piece of software back in the '80s on 086s, HP had a wonderful DOS-base flat-file, can't remember its name now, that had touch capability on the special HP touch-screen monitors you could buy. The interface was a Rolodex, and touch (poking the screen) would work most tasks. You still needed the key-board, but. Oh yes: it was the only truly bullet-proof software I have ever seen: I tried hard to crash it by telling it to do stupid nonsensical stuff, but it simply sat and beep-sneered at me.

You actually had to poke at the screen, although you could "poke and drag" with some effort, but truly the keyboard--or a mouse if you had one--was a better way to go.

And that sums up my attitude to "touch" on PCs now. The screen is vertical, the movements are unnatural, and as kd5 says, just look at the gunk on the screen. Bear in mind that current desktop screen techology is soft and breakable, unlike the CRT displays of yesteryear.

Gordon.

Collapse -
One more stupid gimmic
by bl14 / April 30, 2013 12:50 PM PDT

I wonder how many more ridiculous " innovations" will we have to endure in the coming years. No , no smeary touch screen. I even passionately hate the touch screen on my half smart phone. And how exactly does my constant reaching out to the screen increase my productivity? If they want to have this foolishness on tablets and "smart" phones, so be it. But please not on desk tops or laptops . Dump it together with Windows 8 .

Collapse -
No - makes no sense on desktops or laptops
by wpgwpg / April 30, 2013 12:56 PM PDT

I just can't see the logic or productivity to a touchscreen on other than a tablet. I'm perfectly content to live out the rest of my life with a real keyboard and mouse. Maybe I could wake up one year (decade?) and have a light go off in my head, but it just seems like a solution looking for a problem to me. And whatever it solves (if anything) is not a problem I have. And maybe I'll look up in the sky and see flying pigs too. I'd say both are equally likely.

Collapse -
Doesn't Make "Physical" Sense on a Desktop
by garblefish / April 30, 2013 1:13 PM PDT

Try sitting down and working on a desktop computer and only using the touchscreen. It loses its "novelty" real fast as the pain sets in on your shoulders, back and neck. A "touchpad" is ergonomically better when using the desktop.

Laptops are the same UNLESS they are hybrids and can be used as a tablet.

Don't get me wrong, desktops with touchscreens has its uses, such as a kiosk and such. But touchscreens as a whole need to be used on something you can hold in your hand and lap without physically stressing your body.

Collapse -
My "Other" means no
by 4Denise / April 30, 2013 2:13 PM PDT

I can see some uses for touchscreens, but not in a PC. I do not want one. If someone else wants one, then that's fine with me. It could make sense in some limited cases. As for me, personally, I am not the least bit interested. Let those who want such things buy them.

Collapse -
Yes and I have my eye on the upcoming Lenovo Yoga 11S
by jdonalds / April 30, 2013 3:38 PM PDT

I expect the marriage of Windows 8 and a touch screen convertible laptop is my next major purchase. I believe Microsoft has it right for me, that an addition to the Windows 7 system that also provides a separate touch screen interface is the best of both worlds.

I currently have:

- an iPod Touch which exposes me to the simplicity and speed of a touch screen world with it's many simple targeted apps. In this environment I mostly consume media.

- A desktop and laptop running Windows 7 where I enjoy having multiple windows open along with a browser running 10-15 tabs. In this environment I use the keyboard to rapidly type emails, documents, and other text entry. I also run powerful applications for things like photo and video editing, spreadsheets, and presentations.

I have not purchased a tablet due to the lack of an attached keyboard, and the inability to run my Windows applications. I am really looking forward to a single portable device that allows me to do most of what the iPod Touch provides as well as what Windows 7 and it's applications provides.

I expect to use the Windows 8 desktop about 80% of the time, switching the Lenovo Yoga 11S into tablet mode for some of the same things I currently use my iPod Touch for, but of course only while sitting down and not on the fly which is much better done with the pocketable iPod Touch.

I don't think my situation represents the majority. I do believe there are enough who are in the same situation as I am to allow for a significant market share for these types of devices.

Collapse -
no to touch screen
by Divie / April 30, 2013 4:19 PM PDT

I regret spending extra to get a touch screen PC only to disable it within weeks of purchasing. I now realise I prefer the 24" monitor to be further than an arms length away making touch unavailable anyway but the main reason I don't like touch screen is that when working at night the insects / bugs would activate different processes and I figured it wouldn't be long before they deleted something.
I expected to find a "sensitivity" adjustment but no such luck leaving the "deactivate touch" the only other option.

Collapse -
Insects and bugs?
by RANGERIC / April 30, 2013 4:50 PM PDT
In reply to: no to touch screen

I think you should've bought a Decon 2000 w/ virus and bug protection. Comes with an optional roach motel. Comes with a sticky screen so that upon closing the lid insects and bugs are much easier to remove than a nasty virus. Next time you boot up open the lid and the fly strip peels right off and your off to another day of insect free surfing, viruses, not so much. However, if you live in Florida the next morning boot up can either be really be messy or there is always the possibility your entire laptop may just up and fly away. (After all the mosquito is Florida's state bird.)

Collapse -
No! No! No!
by oterrya / April 30, 2013 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Insects and bugs?

Minnesota has the lock on large mosquitos. If you are camping or otherwise outside up North and you see six or more of them coming, you better hide inside your tent or the nearest cabin -- they can carry you away to their nest for feeding.

Collapse -
easier for travel only
by jerry6665 / April 30, 2013 5:10 PM PDT

touchscreens are a waste of money on any pc but a travel laptop, imho. on a plane or train, a small laptop might be easier to use with touch screen but otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense at all.

Collapse -
No Way I ever want touch screen
by krezkey / April 30, 2013 8:31 PM PDT

I can't see any usefulness, all I see coming from using them is 1: back strain 2: arm strain 3: shoulder joint pain and massive eye strain from having the screen within touching distance. What happen to all the warnings and training about sitting correctly at your desk and keeping the monitor at a proper distance, so not it give the user back strain and headaches from eye strain.

I for one hate finger prints and smears on my screen or even other screens, like when I got to friends homes to help them with something on their system.... be it desktop or laptop or god forbid the TV. It makes me sick to have to look at what seems to be snot smeared all over a screen and even worse trying to see whats on screen under the smears..

I have a touch screen phone and I am always wiping the screen protector off...I wish I would have went with a old style flip phone now instead of a stupid touch screen phone. I guess if you want it on a phone fine, and you need it on a tablet, but I will NEVER buy a desktop or laptop/notebook touch screen.

I hope these screens and Windows 8 end up like to old pet rocks of past silly days........forgotten and thrown away.

Collapse -
Touch screen NO!!!
by RQuance / April 30, 2013 8:31 PM PDT

I repair computers as a side job and some of the disgusting screens I have had to clean would amaze anyone. Consider that you have a nice high resolution screen and then you have nice sticky/oily fingers, screen resolution goes down the dumper from all of the oily smudges, YUCK!! Give me a nice keyboard/mouse for most use and keep the touchy feely for the little devices that do not have space or need for a proper control interface.

Collapse -
Non-mouse interfaces are coming
by oterrya / April 30, 2013 9:04 PM PDT

I believe that in the not too far distant future, there will be no mice nor separate keyboards. The interfaces of the future may well be voice and hand gestures with an on-screen keyboard for a few tasks (that does not even have to be touched to use). I think touch screens are an intermediate step until the newer technology is developed for general use. Touch screens may be around for a while for specialized usages. There will need to be special interfaces developed for those with sense and motor disabilities such as (but not limited to) the blind and those unable to use their hands. A touchscreen can be easier and more accurate to use than a mouse -- not all of them are yet -- and when good speech interfaces arrive, it will be a lot faster and more accurate to speak than to type. There will be struggles with the new technology as it emerges, there always are, but the day is coming when we will wonder why we struggled so long using mice and keyboards. Yes, I will use a touch screen. I do not think they will survive for as long a period as has the ubiquitous mouse.

Collapse -
Tablet or notebook but not desktop
by jrceloni / April 30, 2013 11:20 PM PDT

I have a desktop and a convertible notebook/tablet. Both run Windows 8, but only the convertible has touch. I can get around fine without touch but often use touch on the convertible even when it's open with keyboard and mouse available. When replacement time comes, I'd prefer touch and even pay a bit more for it.

Collapse -
NO!!
by TerryMZM / May 1, 2013 2:31 AM PDT

Back a few years ago when I used to program and troubleshoot PLCs, a touch screen laptop would have been very nice to have as motor control centers and other locations PLCs are found tend to not have a lot of space where a mouse is able to be used. Unfortunately touch screen laptops did not exist at that time. Today I'm happily retired and somebody else gets to wear beesuits in MCCs while trying to figure out what (if anything - 99.99% of the time it is a broken switch, loose wire, or bad sensor) is wrong with the PLC.
Therefore I see no use for touchscreen. Except for Windoze 8, i f the rock it crawled out from under can't be found and it get re-buried. Guess Widoze 8 is Micro$oft's tribute to zombies!

Collapse -
Hell, yeah
by srcloud / May 1, 2013 4:11 AM PDT

RIP 'the mouse'.

Collapse -
Totally inappropriate for desktop TV
by John-Tropi / May 1, 2013 4:58 PM PDT

Filthy greased up screen
Hands obscuring the view
Arm fatigue
Inaccuracy.
These are inarguable facts.

There is almost nothing in favour of PC touch screens and, for a desktop, the concept is imbecilic.
A touch screen is convenient on tablets and phones, purely in order to minimise size and eliminate peripherals. But in every other way, a touch screen is seriously inferior to a separate keyboard and mouse.

And another thing - keyboard or mouse is a cinch to replace and costs very little.
Get a problem with your touch-screen and then what? Hmmm .. . not many people seem to think of that!

Touch screens on PCs are a stupid gimmick that will eventually be abandoned as people slowly realise just how inappropriate it is.

Collapse -
I bought a desktop with a touchscreen...
by ramoore1 / May 2, 2013 9:18 AM PDT

I never use the touch screen as it is quite awkward to use. The screen is a 23" so sits back on my desk and I have to lean forward to touch. Mouse and keyboard is much easier. Also as I leave my computer on at night it is sometimes woken by flying insects which then proceed to open programs and create havoc. I happily use my iPad and phone touch screens but would never buy another desktop with one. I'm happy with my Sony laptop touch pad and have never felt the need of a mouse or touch screen. Mind you I have stuck with Win 7 so with Win 8 I may feel differently.

Collapse -
Born Again Luddite
by suedihfed / May 2, 2013 10:32 PM PDT

Touch screens make no sense at all with a PC unless you have the monitor so close, it makes it uncomfortable to use. After years at the computer at home and at work, I have chronic shoulder problems. The constant physical arm movements required by a touch screen PC would be uncomfortable at best and excruciatingly painful at worst.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.