Laptops forum

General discussion

Poll: Would you buy a netbook?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 31, 2008 8:18 AM PDT

Would you buy a netbook?

-- I?m seriously considering it. (What's holding you back?)
-- I seriously doubt it. (What are your reasons?)
-- No way--I need a full-size notebook. (What are your reasons?)
-- I already did! (Which one and how do you like it?)
-- What?s a netbook? (Read this)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Would you buy a netbook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Would you buy a netbook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I got one already!!
by ESUNintel / October 31, 2008 1:02 PM PDT

I got the Aspire One, Windows Version. I "hacked" it by installing Vista Business on it, and a 1GB RAM stick, for a total of 1.5GB's. I use it as my "Windows Computer" for development work, since I'm a Mac user, but Windows is still needed.

Collapse -
I've got an ASUS Eee PC
by billfranke / October 31, 2008 1:40 PM PDT

I bought an Asus Eee PC a year ago when it first came out and loved it. The two problems with the first models were the small screen and the tiny keyboard. When the 900 series came out, I bought one of those -- and later gave it to my junior high school son -- and found that to be even better because the screen was 9 inches instead of 7.5 inches. I finally decided to buy a 1000H in July. The keyboard is large enough for my fat fingers and the 80-GB HDD is more than enough storage for my needs. The 10-inch screen is also better, but even if Asus hadn't put out the larger one, I would have been happy with the 900. I learned how to use the tiny keyboard.

These netbooks are no substitute for a full-sized desktop or notebook, but I need the portability (small size and light weight are very important) because most of my everyday work requires me to be online, to use a word processor, and to use e-mail. The Eee PC 1000H is perfect for what I do. But they aren't for everyone.

Collapse -
Thinking about it
by 3rdalbum / October 31, 2008 3:41 PM PDT

I'm thinking about it. I'm not a fan of portable computers in general. But I figure I could attach a big hard disk to it and use it as a home server, as soon as I chuck Ubuntu on it.

I'm starting a new job on Monday, so maybe once I've been in the job for a few weeks I'll consider it. I would definitely buy a netbook before I'd buy a notebook.

Collapse -
by lewist / October 31, 2008 6:37 PM PDT

I bought this a couple of months ago from eBuyer for

Collapse -
by lawli56 / October 31, 2008 8:07 PM PDT

I plan to get a Dell.

Collapse -
Netbook vs. Notebook
by aintnorainbowdorothy / October 31, 2008 10:11 PM PDT

I don't think a Netbook is in my future at anytime in the future. The first and formost reason is the OS, Vista Ultimate. I use it on both both my Desktop and Laptop. Bitlocker is highly important to me inasmuch as I travel enough to need that for sensitive information. As far as my Desktop, I use Silverlight instead of Flash, less buggy and basically just as good or better. Also, I do a lot of Beta work on various programs. Netbooks make this unviable.

Collapse -
Did a HP in Nov of 2007 nothing but trouble
by tangel37 / October 31, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

I bought an Hp in nov of 2007 and it was in repair at hp in texas more then my home in NJ in March Hp said they were gonna give me a new one well guess what I got that in apreil of 2008 and same thing its been in texas for repair more then I can count I just recieved it back last week and the same thing is wrong with it Have a case manger and she says this is the last time its h=going in for repair well I called her to tell her it still isnt fixed right and she is giving me a hard time so if I were you I would stay away from HP cause they dont fix things right that it just keeps having the same issues wrong with it and then they dont stand by there word nothing like eatting 1,231.oo dollers for a piece of junk........ GO DELL

Collapse -
probably not
by Peter Vance / October 31, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

I started out with a DG-1 and settled on the IBM/Lenovo T series when the T-23 came out. Maybe I'm just too old to change, but I want the screen size and use my laptop for development and project management(dual boot to linux for dev; win for administrative/management stuff). If I just need communication and calendar, I'll wait for the "smart" phones to mature a little more and band width to be more widely available.

Collapse -
Would u buy a netbook
by sahibaskia / November 1, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

I plan to before the year is out,not to replace my desktop because I will be upgrading that also, but for the convienience of having it with me during the course of the day.I operate a limousine so the size factor works for me as Ive been looking at the Dell mini9 inspiron or Hp mini 1000

Collapse -
I have one, but almost never use it
by mrskelly / November 1, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

I bought an EePC to use at a conference because I knew I'd be walking all over the convention hall for hours and I didn't want a lot of weight. It was great to have it for that, but I haven't used it since. I guess I'll keep it for conferences, but other than that I don't think I'll ever take it out of the closet.

Collapse -
Would you buy a netbook?
by Cefoxtrot / November 1, 2008 1:05 AM PDT

I am thinking about it. I use PowerPoint a lot to teach adults about IT and Boating. I need very little storage, as all my slides are in a memory stick.
As long as the netbook can drive a projector with decent resolution, it would be the perfect solution. Now, if the battery could last more than two hours....

Collapse -
by Parish / November 1, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

Not only one, but three ACER Aspires for myself and two friends. XP Home and an 80 GB drive. Great little machines BUT upgrading memory or the internal hard drive is a TOTALLY NEEDLESS NIGHTMARE for the average computer user involving removing the keyboard, the motherboard and more for access. This is unforgivable since they DID put an access
door on the bottom but it's only for a future 3G/SIM card upgrade.

And why ACER made the decision to only install either 512MB or 1GB out of a possible 1.5GB boggles the mind. (Still, they are surprisingly fast considering.)

I did add a USB (bus powered) optical drive (DVD-RW 8X) and everything works great - although the small battery suffers greatly and, on battery power alone, it's not likely to get you through playing an average movie.

However, the Acer was a usability test for us, and it passed with flying colors for general "take along/travel light" use. The (hopefully) good news is that the LENOVO 10" screen model is now actually in stock, two screws on the bottom open an access plate revealing not only the memory slots but the hard drive as well! Couple that with a 34mm expresscard slot and the possibilities get interesting.

So you can definitely count me as a "mini" fan.

Collapse -
Netbooks and PDA's
by pecubed / November 1, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

I sent the following to last weeks post, however, maybe it should have been submitted here. People who do genealogy are always interesting in having information handy, and at the same time portable.

Here is my post to last weeks list.I do a lot of genealogy, and therefore I use genealogical programs. I know I can use a Notebook, laptop for genealogy and I also know I can use a PDA. The PDA has it problems, size for example, and also it is becoming more difficult to purchase a PDA without a lot of other items, i.e. GPS, Cell Phone, MP player, and I don't know what else. My real question is how much difference exists between the low end Netbooks, and a good PDA? I know size is one thing. Maybe I am introducing another question, but I may be interested in using netbook instead of PDA. Often I use the PDA as a way to have maximum data with me and not having problems with security at airports, some libraries, and also easy to have information with me in the stacks.

Collapse -
no way
by korndog.korn / November 1, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

i definatly need a full sized notebook i have a toshiba satelite with a 2.2 dual core proccessor and i have troubles with speed issues and i could not deal with a smaller keyboard my hands are too big for most notebooks and i use a 17" notebook so I could not deal with the slower processors or the smaller keyboards because they simply wouldnt work for me

Collapse -
by samusgravity / November 1, 2008 3:41 AM PDT

I was considering buying a blue Acer Aspire One for my mom. But I am too much of a gamer for a netbook.

Collapse -
Netbook/ notebook...
by MomCat08 / November 1, 2008 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe...

Hi, all--

just thought I'd add my 2 cents' worth... I bought the Acer Aspire 1 because it looked like just the thing to take traveling... small, lightweight, easy to cart around if you don't wanna leave it baking in your car...

Pros: it's small, it's cute; mine is pearl white & will fit in a largish purse. I bought it for general surfing, e-mail, & downloading of pics; can't tell you how well it will do w/ that last, as I just got it. Has WiFi capability; cost $350 at WalMart! It came with Office 2007, and seems not to be choking on it.

Cons: no CD-ROM drive, but has 3 USB ports, so flash drives are an option, as well as external DC-ROM or hard drive. Smallish keyboard; but then I'm female and have relatively small hands. I suspect that if you have large hands you might not be happy with this keyboard. The one thing I find somewhat awkward is the touch pad.. the "mouse keys" are on either side of the touch pad and they are rather slim; moving windows around can be a bit wierd. Also the battery only lasts maybe 2hrs; take your adapter with you!

It's actually not as awful reading that tiny screen as you might think, and well, you can adjust the text size. If you're of "a certain age" you might want to ask a sales rep to let you actually work with it to see if you can make the screen work for you, with or without your glasses... it's no bargain if you can't read it!

Right now I have Adobe Photo Album on it, which it runs happily, and will do minor tweaks; will let y'all know what happens when it meets a major bit of image tweaking software..!

Hope this helps...!

Collapse -
Netbook vs. Notebook
by GWASH145 / November 22, 2008 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Netbook/ notebook...

Thanks for the tip ref. the eye glasses. I was just going to purchase it off the net. Now before doing so I'll test it out in the store.
It would not be a baragin if I am unable to read the small print do to the screen size.

Collapse -
Buy a netbook
by Andreas Demetriou / November 1, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

I think yes. I find netbooks very useful.

Collapse -
Buy a Netbook-but get the right one for you
by peripo / December 6, 2008 2:57 PM PST
In reply to: Buy a netbook

As mentioned elsewhere I have 3 - 2 ASUS, one Medion (same as MS Wind). I've since relegated the ASUS Eees to my kids and use the Medion.

I have a successful small fashion house, and an office with 2 macbook pro's and an iMac that used to run everything - and while I'm the consummate mac luver (wish they'd bring out a netbook, the 'Air' just didn't do it for me) so far the Windows (groan but an argument for another place) netbooks are the go.

My Medion has 160gb HD, I get 1240x768 res (but prefer 1024x600) and upgraded to 2gb RAM. I use Logitech bluetooth mouse (perfect for this - others I tried...not so good) and Logitech FREEPULSE WIRELESS Bluetooth Headphones (lovely little things - if you have long hair no one even knows you're wearing them). I've used this headset with Skype and there's no problems at all, but of course you have to be near your netbook for the mic/cam. If you use iTunes then podcasts play just the same as music - with total ease and on any speaker system. If I'm at my desk I plug it into my T612 (iPhone speakers), when I'm in the car I plug the netbook into the iPod jack on the stereo system - lovely stereo movies, music whatever straight off the netbook.

I use a wifi broadband usb key for accessing the net while I'm out and about, and if I want to install off a CD I just copy the data using Roxio Toast into a 16gb SDHC and install off that....I used to plug it into an external DVD-RW drive, but got tired of that idea - too many things to keep around me.

All in all, I don't spend anywhere near as much time at my desk now. Between the Netbook and a bunch of very useful aps on my iPhone, I can pretty much run my business and my family while on the move - and relax. It's been a very liberating experience.

One thing I have to say - get a netbook with the biggest hard drive you can. Unless you're a gamer, or myopic, I can't think of anything you can't do on a netbook - as long as you get the right one for you. And there are plenty to choose from.

Collapse -
The Right Tool for the Job (and why I love my Eee)
by altcountryman / November 1, 2008 5:19 PM PDT

I'm posting this from my Asus Eee in an internet cafe overlooking the Med Sea in Herzliya, Israel.

A netbook like the Eee is perfect for travel and light around-town and around the house duty. For travelling, the size, plus fast boot and shutdown times more than make up for the tiny keyboard, small screen, and small storage capacity.

Lower prices in big capacity SD cards are helping in the storage area, too.

But, the Eee and its brethren are not necessarily what you want for all your computing needs - it's probably not going to hold your whole music library on its own, long e-mails & docs aren't fun to type, and there are times when you just want a bigger screen.

But it can be the perfect computer for the job.

Collapse -
I already did
by Curtai / November 1, 2008 8:17 PM PDT

Yeah I just picked up a Asus eee PC 1000H, boy was the decision hard though It took me almost 2 weeks to decide on which one... It went from Acer to MSI to finally Asus... Due to be delivered monday hopefully morning...

Collapse -
Netbook = obsolete technology in a cute, small package.
by sbill / November 2, 2008 6:49 AM PST

I fail to see why so many people want (or already purchased) a stripped down laptop with a small keyboard, low-resolution screen, small hard disk, no CD/DVD drive, and weak processor. Even the main selling point of Netbooks--battery life--isn't usually there unless you pay extra for a premium battery.

I understand the Netbook's appeal of (relatively) low purchase price compared to a full-featured notebook. However, the Netbook has a small screen with less than 800 x 600 resolution (a common resolution back in 1997), a small, cramped keyboard that's difficult to type on, no optical drive (standard on every laptop since 1998), and few IO ports. And of course the processor, graphics card, memory, and hard disk capacity are all very poor--even compared to bargain laptops from 3 to 4 years ago.

Instead of comparing the $300 to $500 Netbook to a brand new $500 to $1200 full-featured laptop, I suggest people compare it to a good used laptop from a few years back. A typical 2005 to 2006 laptop has a Pentium M or Turion 64 processor that's light years beyond the Netbook's CPU, a 1024 x 768 (or higher) resolution display, 80 gigabytes (or more) of hard disk space, 512 megabytes (or more) of memory, a powerful graphics chip, and an integrated CD/DVD drive for loading software and backing up data. A used laptop will cost FAR less than the Netbook, and provide years of enjoyment, long after the initial "thrill" of owning a super-small computer would wear off.

Collapse -
Netbook resolution
by peripo / November 22, 2008 12:38 PM PST

To "sbill"
I have 3 netbooks
The minimum resolution on each of these is 1024x600. Not 800x600 as you've stated.
Why do people comment on things they obviously know little about?

Collapse -
Netbook Resolution
by Pennyspen / December 3, 2008 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: Netbook resolution
Collapse -
by sbill / December 4, 2008 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Netbook Resolution

I have done my research. I would be fascinated to know what "netbooks" you're referring to that allegedly have high resolution screens. When the Asus EEEPC came out, it had a 7" display with 800 x 480 resolution. Today, the best EEEPC has a 10" screen with 1024 x 600 resolution. Other Netbooks from Lenovo, Acer, and Everex have similar resolution displays. HP makes a few models with a 1280 x 800 display, however most are 1024 x 600.

And of course the most popular "netbook" processor--the Intel Atom--has worse performance than a Dothan core Celeron M, a chip that was out in 2005.

Collapse -
Yes, Really!
by Pennyspen / December 4, 2008 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Really?!

What the heck? You're not making sense, sbill. Your whole negative reaction was against netbook resolutions of 800x600. Then peripo mentions having three that are 1024x600, and YOU, yourself list "OLD" models that had displays of 800x480 and go on to say how there ARE some out there with 1024x600 resolution!!!

I don't understand. Remember peripo and myself were not stating anything more than those with 1024x600.

O.K. I don't mind doing a little MORE research!
Here you go!
Lenovo IdeaPad S10 The 10.2-inch wide-screen display has a 1,024x600-pixel native resolution.

Asus N10J A1 - Atom N270 1.6 GHz - 10.2
The 10.2-inch wide-screen LCD display offers a 1,024x600 native resolution.

Acer Aspire One
The 8.9-inch wide-screen LCD offers a 1,024x600-pixel native resolution.

Now it's your turn. You have stated something about the best EEEPC, well, can it do all what I asked for in a netbook???? I'd like some to compare it with, with those features also, thanks. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, Really Really
by peripo / December 6, 2008 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, Really!

I've quite lost what 'sbill' is trying to communicate now. If you're rant is simply that you don't like Netbooks, and the low resolution was an easy indicator why, then fine. You're entitled to lug your 14" or 15" second hand 3 yo notebook with all the extras around, I don't mind in the slightest.

Your comment made a specific and incorrect assertion on screen resolution, which I felt obliged to correct for the sake of anyone who read the column and trusted that your comments were fact which would later affect any decision they might make for or against buying a netbook.

Now it seems, you disagree with your own earlier assertion that screen res on netbooks haven't progressed past 1998 norm and want to attack their worth on 2003 standards.

Okay, that's your opinion. Obviously you are not one of those people to whom the Netbook is targetted. Fine - again, that's your prerogative. But there are a whole bunch of us out here for whom the Netbook is a desirable option and your escalating (on size) argument on screen res isn't going to make much difference to us methinks. So just get over it - we aren't all going to think like you. You've had your say, we listened, corrected your assertions where we saw a need, accepted that you aren't going to rush out and buy a Netbook, and got on with our lives. Please do the same.

I bought netbooks because I like the idea of sitting in my car while waiting for the kids to get out of school and handling my emails - watching movies or series (on something bigger than my iPhone) or whatever, and it fits in a small handbag, not a thumping great laptop bag.

We want Netbooks for size, weight and portability - they aren't a life choice. No one is claiming they are an alternative for ALL your computing requirements. They're a gadget, a convenience. In 6 months time there'll no doubt be a forum about the next big gimmick - or you'll be able to get Netbooks with software on SD cards or whatever (can't understand why that isn't the case now actually) After all, who cares about disk drives? On the whole they're unnecessary now anyway. You can download most everything you need, or there are other more compact mediums of storage and handling.

Collapse -
netbooks are great...
by harrisdy11378 / January 9, 2010 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Netbook resolution

netbooks are great as long as you plan on using it on net surfing and word processing... otherwise, it won't live up to your expectations.

Collapse -
Netbook purchase
by travelsafety / November 2, 2008 8:45 AM PST

After reading the + and - of Netbooks - I have become motivated to dust off my Jornada.

Collapse -
Hell No.
by Renegade Knight / November 2, 2008 9:24 AM PST

I picked up an old Thinkpad X40. It's keyboard is already to small to type on comfortably. When I saw a netbook on display it was smaller and worse than the X40 for typing, specs, reading the screen. If I could fit the "netbook" in my back pocket...maybe. Oh wait my cell phone does that already.

Nope. I either need them smaller (smart phone) or bigger (so I can type).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.