Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Poll: Windows 8 users: What do you think of it so far?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 9, 2012 8:13 AM PST
Windows 8 users: What do you think of it so far?

-- I love it!
-- It isn't bad.
-- I don't care for it.
-- I hate it!
-- It's OK.
-- I still need more time with it to make a statement.
-- Other.

Tell us the reasons right here in this discussion!

Cheers!
-Lee
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Windows 8 users: What do you think of it so far?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Windows 8 users: What do you think of it so far?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does not work with some programs
by Raymond Day / November 9, 2012 9:54 AM PST

I could not log in to my bank with it. A program I have to help log in would flash on and off a windows on top of the IE. I bought it for about $40 and used it for about 2 days before I said windows 7 is better. Windows 8 looked neat but I just could not use it good.

Collapse -
Win 8 is okay, but only because it's cheap right now.
by adamvmlv / November 9, 2012 10:06 AM PST

I've been using Win 8 Pro for a couple of weeks. I have yet to see that it performs better than Win 7 enough to call it and "upgrade". To me the UI on non touch screen systems is awkward and just plain ugly. Thanks to Classic Shell I can at least use Win 8 as fast and efficiently as I did 7 and not have to see that vulgar Start Screen. When asked, I tell people who are on Win 7 to stay where they are or at least get it now while it's priced appropriately. Knowing what I know now, I would likely have just stayed on Win 7.

Collapse -
After 1 Week
by ttopccat / November 9, 2012 10:28 AM PST

Windows 8 is NOT for the desktop...we are ignored. Multitasking is difficult. In W7, if you opened another program you would see it across the bottom of your desktop and could copy and paste or whatever. You have to click so many times to get in and out of programs and apps, it's ridiculous. I use the mouse a lot and now I have to learn all these keyboard shortcuts...NO. I had to run refresh and delete all my programs because I could not access the internet from IE10 on the desktop. People app doesn't sync with my Facebook and Twitter accounts, well, it did a few times and then one Facebook notification. That was it. It's supposed to make things easier??? That's why I had to search Windows help forums just to get rid of the password protection. I don't want to enter a password every time I boot up my computer. Let's not talk about IE10 app...favorites are now a mile long across the bottom and arranged haphazardly, no rhyme or reason. So I had to use IE10 Desktop because favorites are like they used to be, arranged in the folders I created. Realplayer plus cannot download videos anymore, even in the Desktop. I have downloaded tons of videos and haven't figured out how to access them on the Realplayer app. My Word docs can't be opened because the Word Starter program that came with my 2 year old computer won't migrate to W8. OpenOffice is my only answer, I have Gmail and calendars you add, like sports teams or any imported calendar does not sync with the Calendar App. People or Calendar App useless. What's left? Nothing...stocks and news, who cares. Fortunately I have a 2nd desktop I can use. Do I want to share my computers...NO because then I'd have to install W8 on my 2nd computer. I'm hoping upgrades can fix People and Calendar before I buy W7 and install it over Windows Hate(pretty clever, eh?).

Collapse -
Calendar problems
by irdaneel / November 9, 2012 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: After 1 Week

I use Thunderbird and the "calDAV" feature to link to my Google calendar. It works fine, though it's a bit sluggish on the updates. The calDAV instructions are a little hard to find at Google, but persistence pays. Sorry, no time to find a link right now.

Collapse -
Forgot something
by irdaneel / November 9, 2012 2:58 PM PST
In reply to: Calendar problems

I use the Lightning calender from within Thunderbird. (I couldn't edit the previous post.)

Collapse -
Hit the Nail Right on the Head!
by tbryson92110 / November 16, 2012 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: After 1 Week

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">"Windows 8 is NOT for the desktop...we are ignored. Multitasking is difficult. In W7, if you opened another program you would see it across the bottom of your desktop and could copy and paste or whatever. You have to click so many times to get in and out of programs and apps, it's ridiculous"
<span>______________________________________________

<span>~~I miss my [Start] button!!! ~~~
<span>I had to build a Huge "Quick Launch Tool-bar" to mimic the old linear Start Items and Programs list!!
<span>Unless I'm using one of the Apps, I generally avoid the new UI. Where you can't re-name the tiles or change the picture. I have seven pages of Apps and they're kind of hard to find and organize...

Collapse -
Not worth the effort
by dknapp / November 9, 2012 10:30 AM PST

My comments are mainly concerning a non-touch PC. The Metro UI is ugly and difficult to use. How do you close a native Metro program with a mouse? How do you window multiple programs - not easily. I liked the Aero see-through stuff, although fluff, it was better fluff than the blurry, shaded junk in XP or the flat, dull windows of Win 8. I have been using this for several weeks on a non-touch-screen PC. Why get rid of right click in Metro? Why those chunky, pixel wasting, Zune-like boring tiles? Who cares if some tile on travel photos updates itself occasionally? Why get rid of the start button? I live by that. Why are the only backgrounds composed of retro-junky swirls and antique paisley thingys? My company is just now converting 3,000 PCs on XP to Win 7. It will be many, many years before we go to Win 8. By then, I hope the Windows Phone UI has died a quick death.

I also used Win8 RT on a Surface and Win 8 on an HP touch screen tablet at a Microsoft store. Smooth as butter, but lacks any really useful apps. Maybe that will change. Imagine Excel or Word with touch screen. Who would want grimy fingers with hand creme goop smudging the screen at work? Keyboards are bad enough now. In a work environment, where people are creating documents, Power Points, spreadsheets, invoices, etc., the whole touch screen thing is not much use. Maybe at home with your Surface iPad killer it will be OK, but in the enterprise world, maybe only the sales staff would use the touch thing. But we know those sales folks are more concerned about looking good than getting stuff done. Have they infiltrated the head office at Microsoft?

Collapse -
I like it
by bo1 / November 9, 2012 10:31 AM PST

2 weeks now without a hitch. boots faster, programs run faster, was using win7 ultimate as dual boot. so far nothing I have been doing with win7 has refused to run.

Collapse -
Windows 8 Options
by Dorian-NYC / November 9, 2012 10:45 AM PST

I would have appreciated if when installing Windows 8 that there were an option to have the classic 7 interface or the new metro touch interface--not both.

Collapse -
Windows 8 with Win 7 Interface
by leohifi / November 9, 2012 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Windows 8 Options

I purchased WIN 8 Pro the day Microsoft offered the $39 download. I upgraded my WIN 7 test computer so not to interrupt my main machine. My friend "John" has run Beta versions for almost a year. He too is a Desktop User, no desire to replace his 27 inch monitor with a touch screen. Before long he found Start8 by Stardock to get the desktop back. I used Metro for a couple of days with Pogue's cheat sheet for running Metro with a mouse. It seemed foolish, as soon as I open any program (like Firefox) it reverts to the desktop. there were no Metro Apps I desired. In a few days I bought Start8 and it was the best $5 I've spent!

Now I boot up in the familiar desktop with the same start menu and options. When you upgrade from WIN 7 all your DESKTOP ICONs and START MENU are still there. Since I edit my start menu (groups like Astronomy, Utilities, etc) I was delighted to find it is still stored in the same place! Everything works like always and I only see Metro if I ask for it out of curiosity.

The $39 upgrade first lists all your programs with what works (almost everything), what is incompatible (Security Essentials, Gadgets, not much else), and what has an upgrade available (more than I realized but they worked as is). Security Essentials has a replacement included (seems like a name change). Gadgets are fluff but there is a program to get them back if you are fond of them.

John calls it WIN 7 SP2. Everything is back to normal except it boots way faster and has minor tweaks (I have yet to notice them). Microsoft should have included a desktop computer boot option since all the needed routines are still in WIN 8. I soon will upgrade my main computer (24 inch monitor).

The fellow on this forum who mentioned "children" is right, people my age don't want tiny screens we can't read nor holding our arms outstretched for hours to reach a touch screen.

Leo

Collapse -
ABSOLUTELY
by tbryson92110 / November 16, 2012 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 8 Options

Great point!!!

Collapse -
my experience thus far...
by KandyMan114 / November 9, 2012 10:51 AM PST

-- I love it... (plus) The interface with the live tiles really isn't as bad as everyone say it is.. Combine that with native apps in the windows store that run within the start menu screen, nice touch..

(minus) As a PC user for X amount of years, I as well as other users, who are accustomed to having to burrow into the OS to find things.. Windows 8 makes it harder to find these things.. even to this day, I still can't open a DOS shell with the command prompt.

(plus) I love the performance i've been getting with windows 8.. I've went with a clean install, removing all the bloat-ware that accompanied my HP G72 while I was in "the desert" so to speak.. It has had no issue with anything i've ran on it, thus far; easily, one of MS most solid build build of windows to date..

(minus) Notifications.. Notifications, NOTIFICATIONS!! If you listening MS, MORE needs to be done with notifications.. Why have the machine notify me about select apps, or a few tasks. If notify me about everything.. Some ppl like it, some dont, but you need to enhance it..

(minus) Jobs Menu... MS, if your listening, you need to add a "jobs" menu where the user can prioritize resources to apps they want those resources for.. Say a job needs completing, the user can prioritize that job/task so that it's first.. Say the machine is running a series of task, users could kill task from the "jobs" menu.. How many of us survived a work day without pressing ctrl-alt-delete at least once? There you go, no one has..

(minus) The included software did include enough to get me going, but c'mon MS, much of windows success has come from third parties, support from PC manufacturers, and the like..An iTunes-type client, skype, dropbox- just a suite of must have apps- should come with the install.. Don't half bake your OS.. Everything may seem newer, but the formula hasn't changed, nor should it.

i thought of some other things to say but I'm trying to make sense of the direction MS is taking with this.. I runs great, I love it and all, but not sure of this is where MS needs to be.. If there going after the tablet market, as an OS (for tablets) win 8 is better than anything I've seen..

Collapse -
Tired of the "Updates"
by edbrady / November 9, 2012 11:27 AM PST

If each OS was as great as it was hyped to be, there would be absolutely no reason to upgrade to another. It's merely--as far as I'm concerned--a sham to allow getting more money.

Collapse -
windows8
by Korobij / November 9, 2012 11:36 AM PST

why do they keep messing with some thing that was good! it actually seemed slower to me, plus had trouble accessing a couple of sites.

Collapse -
W7 versus W8
by Ron Geiken / November 9, 2012 11:52 AM PST

As near as I can tell, everything that you want to do is harder on W8 versus W7. I will pass on upgrading for the moment and instead buy a Nexus 10 tablet in the next month and minimize the use of my W7 computers to help preserve their life. I just got one back from Fry's Electronics that had been exhibiting the deadly BSOD. I guess it is working now, but unfortunately with every Windows computer that I have had in the past, things usually ended up with a tragic end to the computer and new one was purchased to move on. I am looking forward to using Android and see if it is more reliable. I put Android 4.0.3 on a ASUS Netbook that came with W7. It was very slow to use with W7, and worked great with Android even though the computer was not made to use this O/S. It was more of an experiment rather than trying to make it a full fledged Android machine. I gave it away to a friend and her kids are using it regularly to play games that have been downloaded from the Play Store. I am going to make sure to have one Android device around to fill the bill rather than use the W7 units so much.

Collapse -
I love it
by JonathanSmithTN / November 9, 2012 12:16 PM PST

I have been using Windows 8 for six months and installed the final version the day it came out. It took a little getting use to at first but now I will not go back to Windows7. It is so much faster booting. I have not had a crash or problem with it. Some of the Apps don't work as well as I would like but I am sure this will improve in time.

I will use some of the old programs like Windows Mail until further improvements are made.

I have been helping some other people with new computers upgrade to Windows 8 and they are perfectly happy with it.

Some people are resistant to change and some have read too many negative comments about it which I think is holding back many people form making the change. Once people start buying new computers with Windows 8 installed and if they have some one with experience setting it up I think the majority will be happy with it.

Collapse -
Check it out for yourself at the new local Microsoft store!
by fujitsulover / November 9, 2012 12:27 PM PST

Microsoft has a new store opened in the mall near me. Well, it is about an hour away. However, the point is the they seem to have stores opening around. So if you look in your local malls, you might find one. Good luck.

Collapse -
Upgraded fro Win 7...
by gespin3549 / November 9, 2012 12:37 PM PST

Should have stayed at Win7...what a nightmare. Many of my major programs would not loa and/or developed glitches so serious that I not only had to re-install, but delete the prior installation first, and THEN re-install the software. Quickbooks doesn't even have real fixes yet!!! And another thing....I WANT MY DARNED START BUTTON BACK!!!

Collapse -
It Depends...
by ESUNintel / November 9, 2012 12:53 PM PST

It really depends on the hardware being used. I have noticed Windows 8 boots faster on most machines and the new apps also use up less resources than full blown apps - I would be surprised to hear people complain about performance.

Perhaps the most important aspect of Windows 8 is the new interface - and that's where things get a bit strange. If you plan on using a desktop or laptop that you owned before the Windows 8 era, the OS looks cool, but it takes some getting used to - it's hard finding things, it takes time to memorize where/how to hover your mouse over certain areas, and it's also a bit hard remembering the hot keys; for example, the ESC does not do what one assumes, the Enter key displays the address bar in the IE app, and other such things...

Using Windows 8 on a touch screen device is great though. In my mind, it adds an extra way of interacting with our computer; we still have a keyboard and mouse, but in addition have a touch screen that makes it easier to drag and drop things, makes games more fun, allows us to do new things like sketch on our screen or collect signatures by having people physically sign on the screen, and other cool things.

With that being said - I find Windows 8 to be just ok on my Mac (no touch screen - a normal laptop), but find it to be pretty amazing on my Vaio Duo 11. I do find myself using the Duo 11 over the Mac a lot more often. At the same time I don't see my touchscreen ultrabook as a tablet alternative, and it still stays at home while the iPad is the go to, take everywhere, tablet.

Collapse -
Windows 8 and whether to upgrade
by giaimo13 / November 9, 2012 12:54 PM PST

Bear in mind that Microsoft develops their new OS platforms for very contemporary machines (brand-new-maybe-six-months old). If your hardware is older than that, you may well take a performance HIT instead of a gain if you upgrade to Windows 8. One of the most basic laws of system engineering is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If your system is performing well and is stable, why disturb all that peace and harmony for something that may not give you any performance boost and might even slow you down? Also, your hardware manufacturer definitely will NOT support a new OS on your old hardware unless you pay them to do so - and other than one courtesy call from Microsoft during your installation, you're on your own with them too. Why would you even THINK of upgrading?

Save the Windows 8 Experience for when you treat yourself to a brand-new machine, where the hardware has all been tested together, and the OS is pre-installed. You'll be glad you did.

Collapse -
MS trying to be Apple
by kantzler / November 9, 2012 1:52 PM PST

I suspect it's an impersonation attempt, and based on this poll, with positives (ok, isn't bad, love) at 33 percent and negatives (don't care for, hate) at 40 percent, they didn't succeed.

As for me, if XP wasn't as flawed as it is (Explorer crashes among the worst), I'd be happy to stay there, though, I do like Win 7's improved system monitoring tools, and once you understand the sharing and permissions, it's better than XP.

But, as for Win 8, I haven't tried it and I won't, mostly because I don't like dirty, oily, smudgy, screens, and that's what you get with touch screen, forced to either learn to live with it or be cleaning all the time. And touch is NOT easier than mouse and keyboard on a laptop or desktop; it's only practical with small-form devices. These were and remain my only considerations. But now there's another: systems still loaded with Win 7 are at the best discount ever, so pick one up while you can.

Collapse -
P.S. Non-touch
by kantzler / November 9, 2012 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: MS trying to be Apple

P.S. I should have mentioned that, while I know touch-screen is a Win-8 mode option, I still am not interested. The OS is too much of a play upon itself. I am involved with the programs I run and don't want the distractions or involvements or used-up system resources of an OS designed to attract and hold my attention rather than facilitate the access and management of my programs and the system, which, to me, seems to be the overwhelming story of the visually-enhanced and motion-emphasized Win 8.

Collapse -
It depends on what you use it for.
by irdaneel / November 9, 2012 2:45 PM PST

The Windows 8 interface has had the Start menu redesigned and rethought. It seems better suited for use with a touch interface than a traditional keyboard and mouse. Myself, I don't use any touch interface devices, and I find it cumbersome for desktop use. I also find that the Search function is no where near as intuitive as that included with Windows 7.

The use of the Start page with a mouse is inaccurate and difficult to control. It's not like you can swipe with the mouse to scoot the page from side to side, but instead you must move the mouse all the way to the edge of the screen and wait for Windows to move the page for you, or grab the slider at the bottom of the screen. It is a bit uncoordinated that way, and not so useful for a desktop.

Having a large graphic to start your programs and the ability to arrange them in a thoughtful manner are a plus, especially from across the room, as in an HTPC setting, however the use of shortcuts and the largest icons in a Windows Explorer folder are just as effective in Windows 7, though it is not as pretty.

The Desktop feature operates nearly identically to that of Windows 7, though I still go to the bottom left for the Start menu, even after 2 months of continuous use.

Also, the Apps selling is annoying. Delete, delete, delete, and use your own established programs from within the desktop if you don't want to continuously spend new dollars on minimally functional apps. I know that's a personal opinion, but it's mine, so I share it.

It has been a bit glitchy, restarting due to unexpected failures, and a bit halty at times. I cannot say at this time whether that is hardware, driver, or OS related, as the hardware is all new and has not been tested with another OS.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! Turning the thing off is unnecessarily complicated by having to go to the settings window to do so, or to log out, wait for the "Leaf" (initial) screen, then click to get back to the log in screen, just to find the power options. That one wasn't very well "Re-thought"!

In all, I don't find it desktop friendly, but if you are more accustomed to a touch interface, it may be of use to you over Windows 7.

I'm using "Windows 8 Release Preview" on an AMD E350 APU with 8gb ram and a 60gb SSD.

Collapse -
Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8: Huge Mistake!
by kc_mchandler / November 9, 2012 8:30 PM PST

I downloaded Windows 8 on November 1. The download itself was relatively painless as was installation. I chose to do an upgrade not a clean install. That turned out to be a huge mistake. Even though I downloaded and ran the upgrade assistant, it turned out to not be terribly helpful. I only had a couple of issues, which I resolved, however, I've had nothing but trouble since I upgraded. The main problem initially was that IE didn't work. It wouldn't launch or anything. I have logged around 25 hours with technical support and every time I engage a technical support person (except Jessica from Canada) my computer is typically worse than when we start the session. I ended up doing a clean install (well kind of) and am now in the process of reinstalling all my programs. I still have some issues and suspect it's an issue with one of the AMD display drivers. I went to AMD's website and downloaded what I thought was the correct updated drivers but that may not be the case. The sad thing is I started with a 2 year old system that well exceeded the system requirements (AMD 6 core 2.80 ghz processor and 4 gb of ram) with Windows 7 that worked flawlessly. My system now, aside from booting a little more quickly, is far worse than before I started. My recommendation based on my experience is don't move to Windows 8 unless you have a compelling reason. My main reason was to look for a replacement OS for 2 Windows XP machines. I wished I would have installed Windows 8 on one of those machines since they are spares and used rarely. Instead I chose my main desktop, another mistake. I will keep trying to get the system stable have a suspicion I may have to reinstall my Windows 7 only time will tell.

Collapse -
Microsoft suceeded in actually making Windows harder to use
by bammike / November 9, 2012 10:11 PM PST

The new Metro interface with a keyboard and mouse takes some trial and error to get used to. To close any of the apps takes some adjustment; I first just went to task manager to close them. It all might be better with a touch screen, but face it, most PC users don't have them. To use the OS in a business environment would be just impractical.
On the plus side, Windows 8 seems to run much faster on my Vista laptop, as does IE 10. The mapping app is pretty cool, as it detects your location when you open it. I am just using the preview edition, but from what I see and experience I think I will stay with Windows 7.

Collapse -
Hate it
by alltojah / November 9, 2012 10:15 PM PST

I want an operating system whereby I can configure, monitor, setup, etc. the system for my or my family's individual needs. I have been sorely disappointed with Microsoft since Vista. I am still digging XP Pro. All of the other OS of Microsoft lately have been bloated, lazy code. Nothing intelligent about Win 8, if I was using a smart phone it's ok, but for a laptop or desktop it is a bit too much...dragging, pinching, pulling...

Collapse -
Windows 8 preview
by suejanelord / November 9, 2012 11:51 PM PST

I used Windows 8 consumer preview for 3 months ;I hated it.McAfee,Dell Data backup and parts of the Hewlett Packard printer were incompatible.The first 2 I pay for and was unable to use.I thought I could get rid of Windows 8 in October but then found out the trial was until January 2013.In October the whole system crashed and I had nothing.Took the laptop to the Guru and hey presto I have Vista back.Wanted it in English so did not put Windows 7 on(Spanish).
So good to have everything I want and know where things are stored.If it ain't broke ,don't fix it.
Maybe the computer whizz guys enjoy Windows 8 but for myself and other casual users of advanced years I am happy now.

Collapse -
Migration to Win 8?
by valentine39 / November 10, 2012 12:13 AM PST

I am a reasonably satisfied Vista 64 Home Premium user. Couldn't update to 7 Pro for a reasonable price so I still have a machine using XP because I have a couple of graphic programs which won't run on a 64 bit machine.

Will I update to a machine running 8? Not unless this LapTop packs it up! Why? Because I cannot bring ANY of my programs to the new operating system. How much would it cost in new software? Don't know and don't want to find out. It's probably a hugh number.

Collapse -
windows 8- imptovement-No
by ndlicht--2008 / November 10, 2012 12:40 AM PST

I have a laptop and not a touch screen. Its a nightmare to use via a keypad. All kinds of control-whatever keys to memorize. PC's are supposed to be click and do or go or enter, etc. Its a step backwardsfor a laptop or PC w/o a touch screen.

I understand Windows trying to adapt to the mobile world, tablets and touch screen direction we aregoing in but it surely could have built in a normal keypad interface for us gazillion laptop and PC users.

I do not see any need to migrate just because every few years Windows creates another system and shoves it down our throats via OEM's with computer and laptop manufacturers.

Remember Vista? Remember ME? Other failed systems that were shoved down our throats.

Consumers - How a bout teling windows you dont want yet another operating system shoved down your throat like it or not. Neil Licht

Collapse -
I hate 8
by OzzyTricks / November 19, 2012 11:02 AM PST

I found that my experience with Chrome-Metro on Windows 8 is cr'p, horrible and very frustrating.

I can't open several Chrome windows at the same time, can't make screenshots using my screenshot program,
can't install my favorite extensions, because they are just hidden in chrome web store or throws an error when installing, this happens on Windows 8 only!

I'm very frustrating. For me, the Windows 8 start screen is like UAC on Vista.
Most likely I will move back on Windows 7.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.