Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Poll: Windows 7: Which edition will you be upgrading to?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 28, 2009 5:15 AM PDT

If you will be upgrading to Windows 7, which one will you be getting?

Home Basic. (Why this edition?)
Home Premium. (Why this edition?)
Professional. (Why this edition?)
Enterprise. (Why this edition?)
Ultimate. (Why this edition?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Windows 7: Which edition will you be upgrading to?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Windows 7: Which edition will you be upgrading to?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Home Premium
by Jonmor68 / August 28, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

it has all I need, I have no need for the additional features in Professional and Ultimate.
The only thing they offer that I would have use for, is the System image backup, I already have Acronis True Image Home 2009 that I use in Vista as well as W7, which ia a lot cheaper then paying extra for Ultimate.
Australian W7 Prices:
Home Premium upgrade $199.00,
Professional upgrade $399.99,
Ultimate upgrade $429.00
Acronis $70 AU.

Collapse -
Pricing of upgrade
by FrenchyHey / August 28, 2009 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Home Premium

Here in Canada the price of the upgrade is at least 50% of your cost or even lower if you did took advantage of Pre order i.e. another reduction with up to 3 licenses per upgrade, anyway.

With Windows 7 I don't need any more a DVD software to buy a saving from $40-$120 depending of what brand of software you want etc. i.e. Cyberlink to Wind Dvd, they are more complete but and have a lot of extra feature but if not interested, another huge saving there.

Windows 7 is not without flaw i.e. Crysis that work for me on Vista will not work correctly on the release candidate once you try to install the patch, for my case it work correctly until I try to patch it, (Securom) protection software is making a mess and without intervention from me, it will not work and once it work this is not pleasant game anymore.

Anyway after all the benefit I want I decided to get my entire 4 PC to run on Windows 7 and been backup to a Windows Home Server for backup and multimedia server (great software great to recycle old hardware too) little footprint needed also to run and thrive. (Free to try for 120 days) and easy to upgrade without losing your data, only have to do a reinstall option to keep all your backup and data only thing you lose are the C partition BTW all the other share remain intact and available after reinstallation of the bought version. The free version is also fully functional version of the commercial one also.

Anyway other games that are demanding won't work also on windows 7 like battlefield II, 2142, Call of Duty 4.

But because I have XP DVD I am going Dual boot for that.

My printer work great (Brother MFC-5440CN) it is setup as a Network scanner and fax printer and it is cheap to operate and easy to maintain.

All in all I am happy outside that games are not necessary easy to work in Windows 7 other programs that are not game are working great under Windows 7.

Been on the internet since 1996 I am quite comfortable with windows and prefer more advance option available with pro then home edition and because we do a lot of video encoding and audio also, outside the usual RPG games.

Collapse -
Win7 Home Premium is my choice
by joemac / August 28, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

Our current two desktops are WinXP Home-SP3 and Win VISTA Home Premium-SP2. The Vista machine was bought a free upgrade to Win7 Home Premium. Basic is TOO basic and the rest cost too much more for added features I don't need. My laptop is also WinXP Home. I haven't checked whether it meets specs for Win7, but if it does, I will go with Win7 Home Premium on it, too, to keep maintenance more consistent.

Collapse -
Home Prem Family Pack
by tannman357 / August 28, 2009 11:07 AM PDT

With 3 PC's in the home I am choosing the 3 pack. Home Premium has the features I like and though been using Ultimate in the RC we feel this is the best choice.

Collapse -
Ultimate and Prof.
by ESUNintel / August 28, 2009 11:32 AM PDT

My HTPC is running Vista Ultimate, so to make the upgrade easy, I'll be using Windows 7 Ultimate. I'll run Professional on my Mac.

...um, but with Snow Leopard's release today, I could care less about a future Windows release. It's not that I don't like Windows, unlike many, I actually love Vista, but today is Apple's big day, not Microsoft's.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Pro. choice.
by Speedyfanger / August 28, 2009 11:44 AM PDT

I will be purchasing W7 Pro. as it has a very desireable feature that my Vista Business has and that is the ability to make a complete backup of the operating system partition. This can be a life saver in times of trouble when "Restore" is inadequate.
It is pleasing that each grade of Windows 7 will contain all the features of the lesser version as was not the case in Vista. I discovered that Vista Business did not have the ability to play DVD's without the purchase of a $US15.00 codec needed to be added to Windows Media Player. I thought this was very disappointing and penny pinching of Microsoft.
I might add that I only installed Vista on one of my six machines and only then in a dual boot situation with XP, keeping XP exclusive on the others as I thought XP superior.

Collapse -
why i be geting ultimate
by magnusfl / August 28, 2009 12:35 PM PDT

simple I a Var so I get my free copy at a preview show if not I and my customer base will simply sick to XP pro

Collapse -
windows 7 Ultimate
by dbear135 / August 28, 2009 4:18 PM PDT

I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate .It's the one i'm testing now
and it really rocks!

Collapse -
Windows 7 Ultimate
by jonjonthemighty1 / August 28, 2009 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: windows 7 Ultimate

Only way to go, stay abrest of the pack let them find out the hard way

Collapse -
Windows 7 Pro
by mjayhunt / August 28, 2009 8:39 PM PDT

I got Windows 7 Pro RTM (release to manufacturer) because I got it free through MSDNAA. Most people don't even know they can get it free through them if their college or work pays for the program though Microsoft. Only thing is for some reason the RTM doesn't have the games on it yet, so no more Freecell =/

If you're in college or work somewhere that deals with computers, check to see if you have access to MSDNAA or MSDN. Also check out Microsoft DreamSpark for free programming software like the $600 MS Visual Studio Pro 2008. To check for your school, follow this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/dd861347.aspx

Collapse -
Windows 7
by 131238 / August 28, 2009 10:20 PM PDT

It all comes down to cost.
I am an OAP with limited resources, therefore I may stick with XP as long as possible, the basic windows 7 is a bit more than I can afford.
I suspect Microsoft of skulduggery by charging exorbitant prices for software and failing to address compatibility problems without recourse to further expense.
John Baker.

Collapse -
Professional
by brianlevyesq / August 29, 2009 3:00 AM PDT

7 Professional. I use XP at the office as well as 2000 but did need to buy a new laptop that came with Vista Home only to find out it will not connect to the network at the office. Talk about dumb. As 7 was announced I decided to set aside the laptop until 7 was released rather than upgrading in what was already announced as a dead end OS. I ordered 3 of the Professional upgrades b/c of the 1/2 price deal but will use 1. At some point I'll pick up some systems that can use them.

I can easily live with 2000Pro and XP but at the office some of my software is no longer supporting 2000 and I've had announcements for end of life XP support.

My feeling is that I try to maintain updated versions of applications I need to work with so why no do the same with the O/S.

For personal use at home, I'll probably stick with 2000Pro since I do not use my home computer for video, music, gaming, etc. but, generally writing, templating and research. Only problem running with it is that Corel WordPerfect X4 will not install and I use it so will have to stay with my version 11. Happily, unlike MS Office the company does not scr*w around with file formats with every release.

Collapse -
Free Windows 7
by mjayhunt / August 29, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Professional

You do realize that there's a free upgrade to Windows 7 if you buy a Vista PC now...
Or you could just get it free with any computer like me from MSDN or MSDNAA.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Professional
by gdthestew / August 29, 2009 7:31 AM PDT

I've already purchased my copy of Win 7 Professional "upgrade". I chose Professional because it permits the use of the "Remote Access" feature. This simply means that if I leave my computer on, I can access it whenever I'm traveling and retrieve info or files, run maintenance, or pull up music or pictures for someone I'm visiting. My preview copy of Win 7 RC has been the "Ultimate" version. It has been excellent.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by 131238 / August 29, 2009 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 Professional

Like I said 'it's a rip off'.

Collapse -
Windows 7 versions
by JerYeck / August 29, 2009 10:17 AM PDT

Since I already have the Vista Ultimate, I will get the same for Windows 7 - I tested Windows 7 ultimate & like the backup & recovery options much better than I had on Vista Home Premium...that's the main reason. The W7 crashed once & I was able to use the image backup I had saved to resover without losing any files or programs

Collapse -
windows 7: Which edition
by JerYeck / August 30, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

To each their own.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Ultimate
by bigdood / September 2, 2009 3:46 PM PDT

I am already running Windows 7 Ultimate. I downloaded the free copy from MS about a month ago, and I am happy to report that it is MUCH better than the Vista launch (which for me was a total disaster -- I "downgraded" several computers to XP because I was so dissatisfied with the driver incompatibility situation). So far the only (small) problems I have had are: 1) HP 7850 Officejet Pro printer -- HP does not have a Windows 7 driver yet, and won't have one ready until late October. 2) Some problems with the video going to "sleep" and not "waking up" when I come back. Audio works fine, so I know the computer is waking up... but the video won't come on. I'm using a home-built Asus 6T mobo, 2-1GB (4950) DDR5 vid cards in SLI, and 6GB DDR3 ram, so the system is plenty strong enough to push Win 7. Must be an incompatibility with the SLI setup, perhaps? Other than that, I am very satisfied with Windows 7 so far! Installed almost seamlessly and found everything (except the printer) in my system...

Collapse -
Good feedback
by TaraS_WinTeam / September 23, 2009 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback! I am glad you are liking Windows 7, the feedback you shared is very helpful. Let me know if there are any issues I can help you resolve.

Tara
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Windows 7 Ultimate
by JessicaD42 / September 23, 2009 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 Ultimate

Bigdood,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Collapse -
Professional
by Y2K Blackout / September 14, 2009 5:35 AM PDT

Because it's the one I bought a license for... and am currently using...

Collapse -
(NT) Ultimate. Because it has all the features.
by orlbuckeye / September 14, 2009 9:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 7 Professional
by lmanlo09 / September 16, 2009 9:48 AM PDT

Because this is the one I got for free without any subscription to any microsoft program but legally of course and I already installed it on my computer.

Collapse -
Release candidate expiration
by TaraS_WinTeam / September 23, 2009 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 Professional
Collapse -
If you cont MSDNAA as a subcription
by lmanlo09 / September 23, 2009 12:56 AM PDT

I got mine from school with the MSDNAA Account. It's not the RC but the full version and I already email them about it and it is the full version.

Collapse -
msdnaa
by jeff_windows_team / September 24, 2009 3:26 AM PDT

You are good to go. Gotta love MSDNAA Happy

Collapse -
Windows 7 upgrade options
by TaraS_WinTeam / September 23, 2009 12:09 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.