Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Poll: Windows 7 users, well, how is it?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 13, 2009 6:34 AM PST
Windows 7 users, well, how is it?

- It's just awesome! (Please explain.)
- It's better than I had expected it to be. (Please explain.)
- Not great, not bad. (Please explain.)
- Not going so well. (Please explain.)
- It's not as good as I had expected it to be. (Please explain.)
- It's terrible. (Please explain.)
- I'd tell you, but I can't get it installed. (Please explain.)
- Not sure yet; give me more time with it. (Please explain.)
- Other. (Please explain.)

Place your votes on poll on the CNET Forums directory page:http://forums.cnet.com/

And share your experience with us here:

Thanks!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Windows 7 users, well, how is it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Windows 7 users, well, how is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In my experience
by Jimmy Greystone / November 13, 2009 7:46 AM PST

In my experience, it's a nice enough upgrade to Vista, but nothing worth getting overly excited about.

I wish there were more control over the new taskbar, so I could have things like only Firefox WINDOWS show up, not each individual tab. Other than that, it adds a few moderately interesting ideas to the OS X Dock which was clearly the inspiration for it. And IMO, I don't care who comes up with it, a good idea's a good idea.

The improved bootup times are quite welcome, and memory management seems to be improved as well.

It doesn't seem to play nicely with the Dell 5310 printers used at work, but I rarely need to print anything so it's not a great hardship for me.

All in all, it's a nice refinement of Vista, but I would stop well short of proclaiming this as some masterful OS release. I still firmly believe that Microsoft has pretty much hit the technical limit of what they can do with the current Windows code base, and it's time to chuck the whole thing, or at least a very sizable chunk, and start fresh. Smaller, faster, incorporating all the lessons learned since the rise of the Internet age, as well as being more nimble and better able to take advantage of multi-core CPUs along with the increasing multimedia demands of end-users.

Collapse -
New taskbar features
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 17, 2009 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: In my experience
Collapse -
I agree
by dfwgrlfrnd / November 25, 2009 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: In my experience

It's nothing to get excited about.

Collapse -
Works ok so far but, since I'm quite comfortable with XP
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2009 8:26 AM PST

I feel like I've gone into a department store where everything has been rearranged, re-cataloged and renamed. I can't find the sock department without stumbling over women's purses. So far it's been like and Easter egg hunt. I still haven't gotten a good peek under the hood yet but that will come with time. Once I figure out how to get it to look as much like XP as possible, I'm sure things will be fine.

Collapse -
Hi, Steven
by Ol Rod / November 13, 2009 10:31 AM PST

Once I figure out how to get it to look as much like XP as possible, I'm sure things will be fine.
I like to look like OSX. (grin)

Collapse -
When I showed it to my wife for the first time
by Steven Haninger / November 13, 2009 8:15 PM PST
In reply to: Hi, Steven

she asked "How long have we had the Mac? " Happy

Collapse -
I like it
by Ol Rod / November 13, 2009 10:24 AM PST

I like eye candy, it is pretty! It loads fast, It eliminates some of the extra steps to whatever I try to do. Some are saying it is no faster, but it seems faster to me. I had some hassel getting my Canon ip4200 printer to work, Canon has drivers for Vista, got that, now I can print. My copy of MS WORD is 2001, so I am now running Open Office.
I have IE8, and Windows Live Mail, Avira and SuperAntiSpyware and WinPatrol. Also have all of windows security enabled.
BTW, I'm running 64-bit Home Premium.

Collapse -
Word?
by grichardt / February 28, 2010 11:19 PM PST
In reply to: I like it

Word 2002 worked great with 7 for me including importing scans to a doc and emailing from word. Vista sometimes had problems with that and XP updates could easily destroy all word functions so that saved/emailed docs were only gibberish.

Collapse -
Windows 7 - Help me with the hoopla!
by FondaPeter / November 13, 2009 10:32 AM PST

I am debating as to whether or not I should install Windows 7 on my Dell laptop (M1530)... I have the Windows 7 software but have been reading a lot of Windows 7 blogs and am now getting cold feet (not to mention a cold sweat thinking about some of the nightmares folks have told of once they installed or attempted to install this upgrade). (On the flip side, there are others who absolutely love it!)

Is it really worth the hoopla? Someone please help me make up my mind. Thx for your input...

OnTheFence

Collapse -
Works fine on old Dell 4550
by dknapp / November 13, 2009 11:21 AM PST

Did a fresh install on a used disk with OEM version of Home Premium. Dell 4550 P4, 1GB ram, 2.4ghz, 32-bit, 5 years old. Works at least as well as former XP Home. Had drivers for my printers and video card (ATI 9800 AIW with TV tuner). TV tuner not supported, but otherwise runs fancy Aero interface just fine. All in all, I like it. Will need to install my old apps, but they are fairly new so don't expect any trouble. I used the free test version for a good while, so learning curve was easy on this PC. For those of you who are holding back, jump in, you should not have any trouble.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Works Good for Me
by babyacepilot / November 13, 2009 2:01 PM PST

I now have 3 computers running under Windows 7. So far ... so good. It sure cured the problem I was having with my PC just dying sometimes under Vista. For some reason, my PC would just stop after a few minutes, especially when I used my webcam under VISTA in Yahoo. I would have to physically disconnect the PC from the power source and reboot. It worked fine for awhile, but then after a few large Vista updates, it started acting weird. The webcam seems to work fine under Windows 7, and no more dead PC.

The major thing I found disconcerting (and surprising) about Windows 7 is that Microsoft did away with Windows Mail. That really upset me at first, but then I found out that they've replaced it with Windows LIVE Mail. I don't like it was well as Outlook Express nor Windows Mail because it functions somewhat differently, and some functions are on your computer and some on the internet. I'm still not sure if my mail is resident on my computer or on some remote Microsoft webserver. Supposedly, your old mail messages are transferred during the Windows 7 upgrade process, but some of mine went missing, so if you have essential mail saved on your computer, I suggest that you back it up some other way to be sure you get everything transferred saved and transferred properly. After I lost some on my first computer, I actually EXPORTED my mail messages on the second computer and imported them into another mail program. On the other hand, you will now have a calendaring function with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Another thing I found a bit disconcerting is when you move the cursor off a particular screen, it will disappear on you ... but return when you move it back. That gave me a heart attack a time or two at first, but I'm getting used to it now. Anyway, so far, I am fairly pleased with Windows 7. I hope that sentiment lasts.

Collapse -
WORKS BETTER THAN vista (UGGGH) EVER DID!!!
by JiMiZnHB / November 13, 2009 2:15 PM PST

AWESOME!!!
ATTENTION!!! If you are Having PROBLEMS Installing Windows 7... TRY A BIOS UPDATE!!!!
ESPECIALLY if YOU have a Computer that is 2 or MORE YEARS OLD!!!
I Installed Windows 7 on 2 Custom Built Desktops (Previously running Windows XP_SP3) & My vista (UGGGH) Toshiba Laptop (Needed a BIOS UPDATE to Install)... & IT WORKS GREAT!!!
I ALSO did a vista (UGGGH) to Windows 7 UPGRADE Over the Internet... & IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!!
THANK YOU Microsoft!!!

Collapse -
Thank you
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 17, 2009 2:44 AM PST

Thanks for your enthusiasm & sharing your expertise with other members.

Cheers,
Tara

Collapse -
I HATE Vista and I NEVER had a problem with XP
by jeffHATESvista / November 13, 2009 3:56 PM PST

why should I change....to put more money in Microsoft's pockets?

My old laptop computer (XP) was working beautifully for 3+ years until my young son ran by the table and hooked the power cord with his foot and off to a whirling oblivion went my workhorse. That was a year ago.

I got a new laptop by HP with Vista and still vow to fix it with a hammer or the nail gun.......oooooh, that would feel so good!! Can you guess Im a home remodel contractor?

I have all the issues that everyone complains about. I really want to clean wipe Vista and re-install XP. I dont want or need all the new junk and features of vista or W7. I dont need updates clogging the memory and causing errors every day. I would pay $ to have my XP back. I have heard that some newer computers with vista can only be upgraded because HP (and others) put hardware in to make XP not work. I have also heard/seen on C-Net that when installed correctly with updated drivers, the XP kicks a** and runs like a champ on the more powerful computers that came with Vista.

I have a HP Pavilion 32 bit machine, Nov 2008 build date.

Why give more money to microsoft for designing such crap to start with? W7 should be free!!I would rather go buy a MAC!

Anybody ... please reply/post with hardware and driver info.

Collapse -
Disappointing
by johnwindebank / November 13, 2009 4:59 PM PST

I am frustrated with Microsoft, who in their infinite wisdom only develop software for high-end systems. My computer is about 5 years old, and therefore cannot have things like Widows 7 or Vista on because the specs are too low. I would love to try Windows 7, but according to the requirements, it will not work on my system. I have maintained my friends Vista for a while and really don't think much of that one. Don't think he will upgrade though

Collapse -
RE: Disappointing
by geefour / November 13, 2009 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Disappointing

That would be the reason why *most* people either *UPGRADE* or just buy themselves a *NEW* computer every few years. Please don't start complaining that your computer used to run Windows XP (which is 10 years old) and can't run Windows 7 - it's like your old car which runs on petrol not being able to run on hydrogen/electricity/vegetable oil!

Collapse -
you are not missing anything except frustration
by jeffHATESvista / November 14, 2009 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Disappointing

like the other reply, you cant run it. but more importantly, you are not missing anything. vista was the worst OS ever, W7 is a friendlier version of vista. the reason computers keep getting faster/stronger/bigger is so they can run these over-sized operating systems that use tons of memory/power. if you have half a brain and don't go to sites that infect you or open spoof emails, you will likely not have a problem. keep your spy-ware and firewalls up to date. about the only reason you would need to get a new computer is if you buy some new software that needs tons of computing power. otherwise, the software you have been using should do just fine. W7 has capability to run older programs by imitating XP if the program cannot run on a high powered 64-bit OS. you are not missing anything unless you HAVE to upgrade for a particular reason.

Collapse -
Have you checked the PC advisor
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 17, 2009 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Disappointing

I am sorry you are having problems maintaining Vista- but if your computer can run Vista the specs should work for Windows 7, which may help performance. I suggest you check with the upgrade Advisor to see if your computer will run: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor (you may be surprised).

If you do qualify for an upgrade I suggest you do a custom install and keep an eye on your performance specs to keep your system running: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7.

Cheers,
Tara

Collapse -
Windows 7
by Binther / November 13, 2009 6:32 PM PST

Since I use a Mac with VM Ware Fusion loaded with XP and have little need for any Windows applications, I have decided to stick with XP. It works fine for me when I use it and can't justify either the bother or the expense of another system whose advantages are doubtful, at best. OS 10.6.2 has sorted out a few problems I've had with Snow Leopard, and am a happy bunny!

Collapse -
Well I bought
by Rick Beach / November 13, 2009 7:57 PM PST

a new computer for my wife on her birthday.It came with Windows 7 Home Prem. installed. We both loved XP ,but hated Vista. Which is want she has to use at her work.. After using W7 for 3 weeks now and doing a little tweaking to make it look as much like XP as possible. I will have to say It's "way" better than I had expected it to be. Microsoft hasn't reached the (awesome status yet) in my book. But they seem to working on it. I would recommend Windows 7 to anyone who wants upgrade from XP. And bypass Vista compleatly as be did.

Rick

Collapse -
The best that Microsoft have produced to date!
by gbswales1 / November 13, 2009 8:14 PM PST

...and I say that as someone who clung on to windows XP thinking that it would be tough to improve on.

It has pretty good backwards compatibility though I think that many people have too great an expectation of this and I wonder how of the operating systems these days are cluttered up with routines to make them compatible with old equipment and old software. I have two bits of redundant kit - my agfa snapscan scanner (must be 8-10 years old I guess) and my logitech zoom webcam. agfa pulled out of the scanning market years ago and havent produced a driver beyond win 2000 and Logitech simply havent issued updated drivers for their old webcams (shame on them) - To me however these are not issues to blame microsoft for - they have to update their OS to take advantage of the latest technologies and the production of drivers is something.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Feedback
by lepayton / November 13, 2009 10:53 PM PST

My upgrade from Vista went well and for a day or so I thought I was going to be glitch free. Then my PC started doing this thing when it goes to sleep. IF I can wake it up it is locked and the only way to reset it is to pull the plug. I have been working with windows about the problem and they are trying very hard to help resolve the issue. Now they are referring me to the manufacturer to get an updated Bios. I also have a little trouble getting regular updates. Honestly, if I could go back to my trouble free Vista I would. I already had Media Center and the new desktop functions are cool but don't make the OS any better. Perhaps in a year or so the will get it right.

Collapse -
Windows 7.0
by jefelex / November 13, 2009 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 Feedback

I'm so glad I'll never use Microsoft products (in my computers anyway) since I bailed on W98 10 years ago - I've seen nothing but heartache and frustration with MS users since then, especially after paying $$$ for their problems!

Linux - free, open source, reliable, and for the regular computer user, no different to use than Windows whatever or Mac

My computers are old - worth no more than $50 each, but they are just as fast as any new ones, so why replace them? - it's all a commercial conspiracy to take money out of your pockets and put it in the hands of Microsoft.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by cloudesley / November 13, 2009 11:30 PM PST

After i installed windows 7 i found out that
Norton internet security 2009 that i only had for 3 months Does not work with it so i had to upgrade to norton 2010

Collapse -
Computer security and Windows 7.
by lepayton / November 14, 2009 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7

I was using Windows Live Onecare and Windows 7 does not support it. However, Microsoft has come out with Microsoft Security Essentials which is free.

Collapse -
winDOWS 7 ADOBE ELEMENTS 8 .. OUTLOOK EXPRESS
by weavers nest / November 16, 2009 4:12 PM PST

I have still not been able to solve my sharing problem..32 bit Windows 7 Elements 8 loaded Live Mail and still get this" ... you have no SET TO A DEFAULT PROGRAM" message when trying to shARE..HOW?
I CAN resend emails via another email but they do not appear in the frame format and comments to picures format as used by Adobe ..
Reported this to Adbe case 181276015 and they still have not replied after a week.. ADOBE SUCKS ..

Collapse -
wINDOWS 7 Problems
by weavers nest / November 14, 2009 4:02 AM PST

I regret loading Windows 7 as I use Adobe Elements 7 and 8 and can no longer at this stage as a professional photographer share my photos (COULD IN vISTA) as Windows 7 does not have Outlook Express AND THEREFORE aDOBE WILL NOT WORK.. Can ant tec computer guy help me with this as I am not a computer expert ... Adobe 8 or Windows 7 sucks..

Collapse -
W7 - Help me witht the hoopla
by FondaPeter / November 14, 2009 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: wINDOWS 7 Problems

Thx for the input. I've made my decision not to upgrade to W7. I'm running Vista just fine on my laptop. Though I have W7 software, I think I'll wait till MS gets all the kinks out before upgrading. Prob best.. seems at this point I'd just be asking for trouble.

Off The Fence

Collapse -
Windows 7 and HP
by lepayton / November 14, 2009 8:09 AM PST

In addition to my earlier post I would like to add that I have all HP hardware. My initial mistake was not to go to the HP site and see what they had for Windows 7. They have a complete procedure for upgrading from Vista that includes the BIOS upgrade. Since I did not consult HP prior to installation I now must take my system back to Vista, upgrade the BIOS and then reinstall Windows 7. I may not reinstall for a year or so. If then. My recommendation is that if you are on the fence and your current OS is working then the upgrade is just not worth the hassle and the expense. Wait until you make a new purchase or Google comes out with the Chrome OS if you really want something new.

Collapse -
Windows 7 upgrade
by xmrb2003x / November 15, 2009 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 and HP

How have people found the XP compatibility mode, does it work without any glitches with old software?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.