Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Poll: Will you skip Vista entirely and wait until Windows 7?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 24, 2008 6:47 AM PDT

Windows 7 will probably be release sometime late in 2009 or early 2010, will you hold out for it and skip Vista?

-- Yes, I'm perfectly happy with XP (What's holding you back from going to Vista?)
-- No, I'm already using Vista (Are you happy with Vista?)
-- Undecided (Please explain.)
-- I don't use Windows, so I don't care.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Will you skip Vista entirely and wait until Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Will you skip Vista entirely and wait until Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
too late
by B123456H / October 24, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

I'm using vista as my primary o/s on my laptop

I held back from vista b/c computers with 1 gig of ram were too expensive in 2007, and vista on one gig does not work.

Collapse -
vista
by enyaw / October 24, 2008 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: too late

im running vista home prem works great willing to try windows 7 after it has been out for awhile so i can get some reviews. Anyone that is afraid of vista you have option to run in classic mode looks and feels like xp but with more options.aero is one looks great vista is realy a no promblem operating system if you take a short time to understand try it.

Collapse -
Looks and feels like XP????
by john3347 / October 24, 2008 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: vista

I am using Vista (and my XP machines) in Windows Classic mode and it has a look and feel more like Windows 95 or 98 rather than XP. XP looks and feels rather childish and silly in the default mode. Vista has taken this childish look to new heights. I have taken about a year and a half to understand it and have totally failed to do so. How long is "a short time to understand it"? The whole problem is that Windows Classic mode only changes the appearance when that is not what makes Vista so problematic. It is the screwed up file system and that the system just does not work smoothly.

Collapse -
Vista in Classic Mode???
by Jaynanny2 / October 26, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

Where in Vista may I chg the mode I am running on my computer. Perhaps if I chg this over I will find I won't need to reformat my hard drive to chg the OS to another Win os. Thanks in advance.
Jean in TN

Collapse -
Classic mode
by rbsjrx / October 27, 2008 1:08 AM PDT

"Where in Vista may I chg the mode I am running on my computer? Perhaps if I chg this over I will find I won't need to reformat my hard drive to chg the OS to another Win OS."

It won't help... In Windows-speak, "classic mode" is just a change in the look and feel - not unlike switching between Gnome and KDE under Linux. The underlying OS, including the file system, isn't affected by the change.

Having said that, though, classic mode does have the advantage of not using many of the latest eye candy bells and whistles, so there is typically a performance increase. For example, all of my Windows machines run WinXP in classic mode which makes it look and feel a lot like Win2k.

Collapse -
classic mode??
by Jaynanny2 / October 31, 2008 5:15 AM PDT

Just changed my Control Panel to Classic mode but not sure where the os can be chg to run in classic mode. Any help here?
Thanks, Jean in TN

Collapse -
On The Five Year Plan...
by retexan599 / October 25, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

I upgrade my home desktop system every five years; meaning: new computer, monitor, printer/scanner, and O/S. To me this constitutes a "generation", and makes sure that all components will work well with each other. Bought a 2GB machine in May 2007 with Vista. Took the time to learn Vista with help of "Vista Step-by-Step"; so I learned how to use UAC, search function, backup functions, snipping tool, Windows Mail, etc. Also removed all the 'bloatware' right off. Used EZ Transfer to move my old files. Things I really like about Vista are the Search function, auto backup, auto defrag, Sidebar gadgets (e.g. multimeter). It all works fine for me. So, I will probably do it again in 2012 (Deo Volente).

Collapse -
WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO TAKE TIME TO LEARN IT.............
by Riverledge / October 25, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

I DID NOT HAVE TO TAKE TIME FOR "XP".........

"XP" is very intuitive.....VISTA is not!

RIVER.

Collapse -
Yes, I'm perfectly happy with XP
by Coryphaeus / October 24, 2008 7:45 AM PDT

I think it boils down to what serves your needs. XP Pro does this, and I see no need for Vista of any kind. I really think that those "early adopters", those who installed Vista the day it came out, and found out it was broken, are just the type of people who should have problems.

Vista is not a replacement for XP. It's just a new OS that came out broken. Especially for those who had XP on an existing machine and installed Vista. They found that many of their peripherals and devices no longer worked.

Anyway, I'll not be changing. Unless, and a big unless, about a year after 7 comes out, the review are favorable. Then I might think about it.

Collapse -
Ditto
by dadeyo / October 24, 2008 2:39 PM PDT

What he said - long live XP

Collapse -
Extra Double Duty Ditto
by Kongar / October 25, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

XP is the only stable consumer OS that MS has created. why trade my toyota for a GM thats gonna b in the shop half the time? same concept.

Collapse -
No to Vista
by mrmac / October 25, 2008 6:08 AM PDT

Why should I spend money to upgrade to somthing that will reject some of my periferals and has a poor perfomance rep.? XP does everything I want, and quite well for the most part.

Collapse -
MY 2003 GATEWAY CAME WITH "XP" INSTALLED. BEST WINDOWS ...
by Riverledge / October 25, 2008 1:13 PM PDT

SINCE MS WINDOWS 3.11.
OF COURSE, IT'S BEEN UPDATED TO XPSP3, ALONG WITH ADDED MEMORY.

Personally, you could not pay me enough to install VISTA!!!

MICROSOFT has committed to supporting the entire "XP" platform

through the spring of 2014. If "WINDOWS 7" does not pan out well,

I'll stay with "XP" 'til the GATEWAY dies.

If MICROSOFT hasn't come up something better by then,

my next machine will be an "APPLE."

Best to all,

RIVER.

Collapse -
Ditto in Spades here!
by gjkezski / October 25, 2008 3:58 PM PDT

I learned long ago to go nowhere near ANY new Win OS for several years After it comes out, it NEVER works right until at least 2 SP's come out. I liked 95, it had several useful features that was left out of 98. The two that I really used quite a bit were the ability to use the modem to fax a file directly without having to print it out physically & use a regular fax machine, the other was being able to run a dos program through a dos window. 98 was ok i guess, it had a few minor problems that I could work around. I was suckered into "upgrading" to 2000, big fricking mistake, nothing but problems. I avoided the dreaded "ME" disaster. I finally upgraded to XP 3 years ago, After they finally worked most of the bugs out & have been satisfied since. I can't afford to be buying a new computer every time somebody comes up with a new set of toys, mine is a real frankenstein, upgraded a piece at a time.

I have never liked one of the, to me, major problems of all win OS's. Too much of the time a given program becomes useless with a new OS. I do a fair bit of gaming, I had quite a few games written for 95 that would not work in 98 & that seemed to continue with each OS upgrade. I might be doing it wrong but that "Compatibility Mode" is a crock. I have never been able to get it to work. It really gripes my butt when it is a microsoft-produced game. One in particular is their "Dungeon Seige", written for XP but will not work in Vista & I have been unable to get anybody at MS to even answer me when I emailed them to ask about it.

Besides, why should I bother to consider upgrading to Vista when they do something like this win7 crap, does it remind anybody else out there of the ME crapshoot? Why get a new OS when they are going to change it every couple of years? Learning a new system wouldn't be so bad if they didn't CHANGE the damned command lines EVERY time!!

So, I'll be sticking with XP until they prove to me that they are going to get it right & stable

Collapse -
So am I, but ......
by Old Dog New Tricks / November 16, 2008 8:39 PM PST

needed to change my hardware for something bigger, better, faster etc. Trouble is couldn't find an OEM with Xp, but only with Vista.

So I bought OEM & Vista, then began to learn about Vista whilst continuing with my "old" XP system. Now think I'm ready to make the switch.

Would I habe bothered if I didn't want better hardware - most probably not since I love XP, but it won't be around for ever & at least using Vista now will make it easier when 7 comes along. Remember that 7 is "Vista but better" - quote from Steve Baulmer!

Regards, Peter

Collapse -
If Only...
by gjkezski / November 16, 2008 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: So am I, but ......

It would not be so bad if those.....male canine reproductive organs at MS would have built vista to be capable of running programs written for the XP & 2K OS's. That "Compatibility Mode" is a obscene joke, unless I am doing it completely wrong, as I have had NO success in making it work even in XP for programs written for 2K & earlier. If anyone out there can explain how to make it work I would be exceedingly grateful.

Collapse -
FWIW...
by rbsjrx / November 17, 2008 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: If Only...

...Most WinXP and Win2k software will run just fine under Wine (WINdows Emulator) on any machine using Linux. If Wine can't do the job for some reason, you can use VirtualBox. To use VirtualBox, you will need a WinXP OEM installation disk to set up the virtual environment.

I have found that I can run things as complex as the IAR embedded development tool suite under Wine with Ubuntu Linux. I didn't expect to be able to, but it turned out to be no problem at all.

Collapse -
Minimal experience
by gjkezski / November 17, 2008 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: FWIW...

My programming experience is quite minimal, The last real[if you can call it so] experience with programming was back in the '80s with a Radio Shack MC-10 mini computer with 3k usable memory using a audio tape recorder for data storage, I had to use graph paper to do the programming[symbol per square]in Basic. I wish I'd kept up with it but I didn't. I can somewhat make my way with Win but I would have No idea where to even Start with Linux. My comp is a real Frankenstein's monster, bit by bit upgraded over a period of 10 years. Started as a AMD K-6 200mhz 4.1gb drive to a Athlon 3000+ 160gb, last original part is the floppy. Win95 to Win98 to Win2k then XP[skipped ME], took 3 years to get to XP 'cause it took MS that long to get XP right enough for me. MS NEVER gets it right the first time, or even the 2d.

Collapse -
Loving Vista

It's nice, it runs great, I don't know how but I actualy got Vista Home Premium to only use 512 mb of ram with aero glass and it usualy uses 750 or so. For me it runs the same as XP but better, ahs more features, looks better. Now my only problem is I can't use XP cuz I just feel less then it's like oh so I get to use this almost 8 year old OS.... fun.

Collapse -
Happy with Windows XP Vista still has a lo to fix.
by Darrell / October 28, 2008 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Loving Vista

I don't know how you got Vista Premium with 512 MB. I tried to update to that and I was told you could only get only Basic. Will wait to see what Windows 7 has to offer and I do know I'd have to update too many items for Vista. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Vista
by frj11 / October 24, 2008 11:22 AM PDT

Vista ROCKS!!!

I am on my 3rd Vista hardware system. Two Intel MOBOs and the current Gigabyte MOBO.

I of course also run Windows XP and Linux on all three by using a hot swap boot hard drive.

Collapse -
Lovin' It
by always_smiling / October 24, 2008 11:31 AM PDT

I've been using Vista for about a year or so and I love it! I don't know why people have so many issues with it, I have never had a problem. Maybe others are too computer illiterate to know how to use the "Search" function to find the tool to update software to work with Vista (although I do agree that people shouldn't have to do that in the first place).

I will probably end up with Win 7 when I get a new laptop for university in a couple years from now though.

My two cents,
DB

Collapse -
HAVE YOU EVER USED WINDOWS XP???
by Riverledge / October 25, 2008 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Lovin' It

IF YOU WERE REALLY FAMILIAR WITH XP, YOU WOULDN'T BE LOVING VISTA.

I DID A BETA FOR VISTA, AND FOUND IT WORTHLESS. SORRY, IT SUCKS.

Regards,

RIVER.

Collapse -
No need to upgrade - No longer playing games on computer
by QTeela / October 24, 2008 11:33 AM PDT

I used to buy computer games, and if my hardware or software could not support the game I wanted to play, I would buy a new video card, maybe a new monitor, and/or upgrade my operating system, memory, motherboard, etc.

But now I have a WII and PS2. I use my computer primarily for email and internet access, and as a network for my TIVOS.

I have no incentive to upgrade to Vista, which at the very least would render my HP 2610 printer incompatible.

Collapse -
Might be too late.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

We are entertaining Apple's and Linux for the test computers (computers that run tests on our products.)

Vista ran well but configuration and support is nightmarish.
Bob

Collapse -
I was forced to buy Vista on my new computer
by Ardy Mattox` / October 24, 2008 11:41 AM PDT

I didn't want Vista. Stuck with Vista. Supposed to be some advantages. I'd like to see a few. It is sloooowwww and unreliable and I'm totally disgusted with Microsoft for forcing it on us peons who had to take it if they wanted a new computer.
I'll be eager to try Windows 7 if it offers any improvement at all.
Sure Vista is 'cute' but sure not worth the trouble.

Collapse -
XP or Vista?
by Gesak / October 24, 2008 11:54 AM PDT

I'm using both - I have XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop. There is no real problem with either OS, by big problem is with Office. I'm using 2003 on my XP desktop and 2007 on my Vista laptop. Try that for a headache! I thought they were seamless? Finding commands in 2007 is a pain.

Collapse -
AMEN! Long live Office 2003!
by toysareforboys / October 24, 2008 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: XP or Vista?

AMEN! Long live Office 2003! Down with 07!

-Jamie M.

Collapse -
XP and Vista
by MusicalRattie / October 25, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: XP or Vista?

I have XP on my laptop and Vista Home Premium on the desk one. Love both, but hated Vista until I switched it to classic mode. I do hate the Photo Gallery, would love to delete it and put XP photo program on it. I keep XP for using my games and for TV, Vista for general online and bill pay stuff. I never buy OS first coming out, wait to hear what users say first, plus the prices are always rediculous. By the time Windows 7 meets my approval I will just buy a third computer with it put on, and might give away one of my other computers. I listen and take heed of users kind enough to let others know about their computer pros and cons, who knows better than the everyday user?

Collapse -
THANKS FOR YOUR HONESTY............
by Riverledge / October 25, 2008 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: XP and Vista

AS STATED EARLIER, IF MICROSOFT DOESN'T GET 7.0 RIGHT,

I'M MOVING TO APPLE. I FEEL AS THOUGH MICROSOFT IS IN CAHOOTS WITH

OTHER OEMs JUST TO SELL US NEEDLESS NEW EQUIPMENT; BOTH HARDWARE AND

SOFTWARE TO ENRICH THEIR POCKETS!!!

Best to all,

RIVER.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.