Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: Will you be trying Apple's Safari for Windows?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 13, 2007 8:32 AM PDT

Will you be trying Apple's Safari (beta) Web browser for Windows?

-- Yes, soon. (Why not now?)
-- Maybe (What's holding you back?)
-- No, I don't do betas.(Why not?)
-- No, I don't touch Apple products. (Please explain.)
-- Never! (Why not?)
-- I'm already using it. (How do you like it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Will you be trying Apple's Safari for Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Will you be trying Apple's Safari for Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Already tried and discarded it (for now)
by dburgett / June 13, 2007 1:56 PM PDT

I write Ajax-heavy websites so cross-browser support is an ongoing challenge for me. Since I've tested my websites on Safari/Mac, I figured that testing tem on Safari/Windows would be a quick no-brainer.

Unfortunately, whenever I made an Ajax request, the request was not sent to the server. Instead, a dialog box showed the URL. I'm assuming that this means that Apple just hasn't implemented the xml internals needed for Ajax.

Until it provides this basic functionality, it's useless to me and my customers. I'm just waiting for the emails asking why my websites suck and why I hate Apple to start coming in...

Collapse -
Never!
by Gatewood Kistler / June 13, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

I have a Mac. The worst thing about it is Safari. I also have several PCs. I would never downgrade my Windows PCs by putting Safari on it. It's the most hopeless browser I have ever used. Slow, quits unexpectedly, and I probably have to force quit it twice a week. I would get a different browser for the Mac, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Collapse -
Safari on Windows - Not
by rpoelking / June 13, 2007 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Never!

I use both OS's and I am a Mac Bigot. I love the efficiency for workflow I have in the Mac environment. While I do not experience some issues with Safari others have (crashing, etc) it's a very basic browser that doesn't support functionality required by websites for a good experience. I still have to keep Firefox on the side for that.

Safari on Windows--is like IE on Mac - Are you ********? Apple should have been putting forth more effort to release Leopard on time (i.e. WWDC) rather than wasting time on producing a browser that no self respecting Windows users to attempt.

Collapse -
Safari/Windows
by Debra Kohlrust / June 13, 2007 2:49 PM PDT

I downloaded Safari/Windows yesterday 6/12 and am very pleased with the results I've had so far.

I'm now running about 30% faster, using XP Professional Windows 64 bit on my Athelon 64 with 1 GB of ram, for most all applications which I have tried to date, using my Athelon 64 with 1 GB of ram. Yahoo loads and operates about 50% faster for me then it did prior to the switch but I can't explain why.

I do extensive work with Photoshop PS2 in restoring old 35 mm film negatives - old in the sense of dating back to the late 1980s - and I often felt that the MS browser was the cause of some of my frequent slowdowns.

My project requires maximum resolution and image quality, which often means 100mb+ initial scans. Sure enough, when I switched to Safari/Windows I gained between 20% to 30% faster initial processing times for an overall speed-up of about 12% in throughput.

I strongly recommend that you give it a try and see if your own results match mine. After all, it is supposed to be simple to switch back if you want to.

Deb Kohlrust, US Merchant Marine

Collapse -
no need for a better browser thanks to firefox
by psychoxl99 / June 14, 2007 4:38 AM PDT

If Firefox didn't exist, I might consider using this, because IE7 is such a monstrosity as far as the user interface is concerned. But Firefox already addresses my needs, so why would I switch? As a web developer I might use it to test my websites (though ultimately it's not a substitute for testing Mac users' experiences using a Mac), but I won't start using it for myself.

Then again, I'm not a "first adopter" of most things despite being very tech savvy, because I tend to resist trends and fads (for a variety of reasons). When Facebook was launched at my school, I didn't sign up for an account until my roommates said they'd do one for me otherwise and put jokes on it at my expense. I didn't even use Firefox until I saw how bad the IE7 UI was. So, I suppose I could be dragged into this too.

I agree with the other posters that say how bad Mac apps on Windows are, specifically iTunes. I use iTunes a lot, but only because I like the offerings from their store and I need to sync my iPod, not because I think it's a good program. It's slow and buggy. They've got me locked on that one, but it doesn't make me want to try other Mac programs that were ported to Windows.

Collapse -
used it, gave it up
by oludir / June 15, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

however, jobs must have been testing it on a very special machine cos it runs slower than ie7 on my vista notebook.

Collapse -
I tried Safari on XP ... it was OK
by bheiser / June 13, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

It seemed a lot like Firefox - except that some of the things I looked for were in different places. I used it to browse to a few sites, and didn't really see anything that would give me a reason to switch.

Collapse -
maybe
by knelson276 / June 13, 2007 2:16 PM PDT

I haven?t really heard anything about it to make a decision. I currently use firefox and I?m very happy with it. Unless I hear any really compelling reasons to switch, I probably won?t.

Collapse -
Nothing APPLE thank you
by wbryan / June 13, 2007 2:20 PM PDT

Since APPLE pushed Steve Wozniac out and stopped support of their APPLE II+ series simply in an effort to become even richer, I refuse to use or even acknowledge anything APPLE. so, no, I will not try Safari.

Collapse -
I will never be using Safari for Windows...
by JMiguel / June 13, 2007 2:26 PM PDT

...because I already dumped Windows!!!

Background: Former IT Manager, Microsoft Certified, with 'bout 15 years of intensive Windows-based PC usage under my belt.

Reason: I got tired of several things. a) Getting ripped-off for software (that goes for OS' and Apps) that are as flawed as they are funtional. b) Constantly dealing with hassles such as incompatibilities between HW and SW. c) Tired of false expectations such as the plug-and-play a.k.a. plug-and pray.

Really... I was one of many who beta-tested the Vista OS (fka Longhorn), as well as Office 2007. I got such "good results" that decided to buy both licenses as soon as they were put out in the market. EXTREMELY disappointed when I found out that "upgrading" would cost me close to $2000 (wether I upgraded my existing hardware and software, or bought a new notebook with the required HW to run Vista Aero and getting an Office 2007 license).

Instead, I sold my "old notebook" (Dell Inspiron 710m for about $1200), and "spent" an extra $800 out of my own pocket, and got me a MacBook Pro with better hardware than most "Vista-Aero" ready notebooks (that is Dual Core 2 2.33 ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HD, 128 MB graphics card, etc. etc. etc.), with a $180 Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac license (this is when the ripped-off concept kicked in) - yes, I know, office again, but because my co-workers are still using msoffice for windows - an $80 Parallels Desktop license (so I can still use my ACad license, as well as MS Project - dido -.

The only time my computer has frozen, is when either I am running Windows XP on Parallels, or PowerPoint for Mac.

However... I've only been a Mac user for the past 5 months, and so far I say I'm never going back... once you go Mac, you never go back!...he he.

So... why would I use Safari Beta on Windows, when I already use Safari on Mac. No need.

Why would Apple would put out a version of Safari for the Windows users? To give the a taste of what they are missing!!! That's why.

Collapse -
its crap
by ashrodd02 / June 13, 2007 2:27 PM PDT

i watched the cnettv vid recording of when they announced safari was going to be on Pc's, and wanted to see what the hype was about. downloaded it, and then got angry...

what he was saying about the fast loading times was all crap, ie 7 was faster that safari and not to mention Firefox taking the lead.

i think when they tested it, they must of had quick time running, because what killed me the most is when i wanted to download it, i had to download quick time and it came buddled with itunes. quicktime forces it way though, making it one of the startup items, and its a helper for all apple dodge products, including safari and itunes. futher, if u dont have quicktime as a helper, it take a heap of time to load up safari.

its has no hope...

Collapse -
Standards compliance.
by bjrankin / June 13, 2007 2:28 PM PDT

Safari/Konqueror are fundamentally broken when it comes to CSS/XHTML standards compliance. Yes...I know that IE is also, but, in my experience, Safari's non-compliance issues are harder to work around than even the abysmal IE.

Collapse -
peripherals cost more
by mennoniteman / June 13, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

I won't deal with Apple Computers, because they charge more for parts and ancillary products like printers, displays, etc. Software is limited, and often more expensive.

These are the reasons the Amiga bought the farm too.

Collapse -
Amiga
by Debra Kohlrust / June 13, 2007 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: peripherals cost more

It's nice to see another old timer who started with an Amiga! I got mine around 1986 or so and was amazed at what I could do with it regarding video animation and some early local TV spots for the Algonac, MI cable system. I kept it through my 2 1/2 years at Northwest Michigan College's Great Lakes Maritime Academy,'89/'91, and it never let me down.

Wish I could say the same of the Windows systems that I've used since.

Collapse -
Tried it...did not like it...
by Marc Jackson / June 13, 2007 2:30 PM PDT

..I must admit it was fast, but I lost control of cookies and scripts. I will stick with Firefox.

Collapse -
It's a beta...
by chmorley / June 13, 2007 2:31 PM PDT

I support both Macs and PCs daily. I prefer Macs. That being said, I think Safari is a fair browser, though in many ways not as mature as Firefox. I am not a fan of IE. The primary feature Safari has over Firefox is its handling of RSS feeds. Given my particular interests and desire to track news developments, this is sufficient for me to use Safari as my primary browser on the Mac.

On the PC, Safari feels like a beta. Most pages display quickly and accurately. Some display quickly and wrong. Nonetheless, it shows enough promise that I'll continue to track it. I'll use it for its RSS feeds, and Firefox for most everything else (for now). I look forward to it maturing, though.

Chris

Collapse -
All the reviews say its full of holes
by SEGMAT / June 13, 2007 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a beta...

I won't try it because all the reviews say that there are so many holes in the program that it's not worth trying. there are so many other free browsers out there and they just keep coming. A secure one is Opera although it seems to get bigger with every upgrade, and there's just so many more. Why bother with a Mac program in the first place, and secondly, it's a beta, wait for the full one to come out and then try it once the bugs and holes have been worked out for the most part.

Matt Segstro

Collapse -
Security holes
by OttifantSir / June 13, 2007 11:59 PM PDT

And when do you think all the holes have been closed? I use Opera too, and I utilize the widget Stay Secure. I see today, after a year, Microsoft has patched ONE of its holes. It now has 6 of them, after having 7 for more than a year. Safari has been steady at 4 for at least six months. So, when would you say it's safe to use Safari?

Collapse -
Safari on Windows
by micker377 / June 13, 2007 2:39 PM PDT

Tried it - what a mess! Took it right off. I guess Firefox has spoiled me. I know it's "beta", but... And now I read of all the security problems? Maybe after a great deal of work!

Collapse -
Decidedly disappointing
by Apolune / June 13, 2007 2:43 PM PDT

Safari's vaunted "speed?" It's slower than IE7 and Firefox, and on a par with Opera.

I was excited about the release, used it for about an hour, and will keep it. But there's a lot of improvement needed for me to consider regular use of Safari.

Collapse -
I love it on My MAC - Windows will Probably Degrade it
by Biker Jon / June 13, 2007 7:29 PM PDT

It is far more reliable than IE or Windows. Many times when the two afore mentioned lock up or do creative screw ups I go get my MAC and proceed without frustration. If anything, the Windows environment will degrade it and make it just as worthless as their other OS.

Collapse -
I'll never use Safari for Windows
by Guido Muldoon / June 13, 2007 2:44 PM PDT

I don't have any Windows machines (Linux & Mac only) so it won't be happening.

Collapse -
Will Never try Apple's Safari for Windows
by JohnDallas / June 13, 2007 2:45 PM PDT

Why would I ever want to use a PC? I love my Mac and have detested every PC I have used. God forbid I ever had to use Windows on my Mac (which I fortunately have no current need to do so), I would use Windows for the particular application and switch back to OS X as quickly as possible!

I love Safari by the way.

Collapse -
Apple Stuff
by jlf2 / June 13, 2007 2:49 PM PDT

I don't do anything Apple because so much of it is single-sourced just to Apple!

Collapse -
testing it
by joshsc / June 13, 2007 2:53 PM PDT

Since I do a bit of web development, I too am trying it out for consistancy. I actually like it but no better than the others.
I don't think it's bad or good.

What I think people fail to realize is that the public really doesn't care what browser they're using as long as it does what it is supposed to do.

When you're talking about a couple of seconds here and there, it just doesn't matter to the general public. It's the extras that define browsers and comparing that, hands down, Firefox has them all beat. I like being able to block Flash or ads. I like Firefox's ability to accept plugins that does EXTRA stuff. I like the flexibility of it where I can personalize it to MY tastes. That is what the rest don't have. But in the end, as I said before, most people don't care. They just want to open an application, know it works, and it does what they want it to. Apple's browser isn't new, doesn't do anything new and wouldn't persuade me to switch, nor will it anyone else. Not very many anyway.

Collapse -
Not better than IE or Firefox, yet great for iPhone
by keitan / June 13, 2007 2:54 PM PDT

After reading some blogs on why Apple would even think about getting into the browser business on a PC, I just had to shed some light on the apparently missed observation. Apple is not looking to take over Windows, nor is it looking to be a browser qualifier. The simple reason that Apple is making Safari available on the Windows machines is to help integrate the synchronization of the browser elements with the upcoming iPhone, which uses Safari as its browser. The iPhone promises to be an amazing leap in cell phone technology, and many are lining up to get one. Just like iPod is to iTunes on a Mac or PC, iPhone is to Safari on the same platforms. I only wish Apple could make the decision to use a world-class browser like Firefox on the iPhone to really put it all together, but that reality only exists in my mind.
And as far as all the criticism about the lack of bugs and possible exploits through Safari beta, I challenge any software maker to make a bullet-proof beta product on a Windows system, including Microsoft.

Collapse -
Tried it yesterday
by pschnall / June 13, 2007 3:04 PM PDT

Fast as can be - much faster than windows explorer. Couldn't access any of my secure sites such as banking. Quit ocassionally. Acts like Beta software. Looking forward to the final version

Collapse -
yes but not now
by itasara / June 13, 2007 3:35 PM PDT

I love trying new software, but I won't be getting my mac with windows for a few more days, and then I'll probably wait until the reviews are all positive and some of the bugs have been worked out. Then I'll try it on windows and/or mac systems. I probably won't wait too terribly long.

Collapse -
Never going to happen! Apple = bad.
by DonutGuy / June 13, 2007 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: yes but not now

I wouldn't touch an Apple product with a six-foot barge poll. Especially not one which A) makes a bunch of ridiculously baseless claims (oh wait, that's all of them) and B) was ripped apart faster than any other browser (18 holes in two days and counting).

Collapse -
Never say never!
by jmcanty / June 13, 2007 4:00 PM PDT

There is an old saying "don't knock it until you try it" I recent transition from windows PC to a Mac-Mini and I am very please. The OS 10.4 system is very intelligent and there is a lot of Mac software available, and much better than some of the windows SW. The system is hassle free and with the Parallels Desktop for Mac software, I can run windows on my Mac, the best of both worlds.

JMCanty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.