The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Poll: Will Facebook lose 80 percent of users by 2017?

by lizamaloy CNET staff/forum admin / January 24, 2014 5:27 AM PST

Poll: Will Facebook lose 80 percent of users by 2017?

- Yes! Facebook is a waste of time and definitely on the decline.
- No way. I use Facebook every day.
- Probably not; I am off Facebook but I think plenty of people still use it.
- Maybe, or maybe this is just a Princeton/Harvard rivalry.

Place your poll votes here:

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Will Facebook lose 80 percent of users by 2017?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Will Facebook lose 80 percent of users by 2017?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Facebook Still Meaningful
by reli37 / January 24, 2014 8:01 AM PST

I still use Facebook everyday to keep in touch with friends around the country - much easier than email. I also use it to keep up with politics, news and yes the original rant. I have also found that a Facebook message gets more attention than an email and almost always guarantees a reply. And yeah, I'm a septuagerian, so sue me.

Collapse -
by djnova50 / January 24, 2014 8:18 AM PST

A couple years ago, my sons suggested I join Facebook. So, I did. It lasted about a week, maybe two, before I deactivated it. I got so much Facebook spam sent to my email account that I felt I had no choice. Especially, when efforts to contact Facebook management proved fruitless.

I only use one social network site and it's not Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or any of the more common ones. I joined in 1999 and have encountered no reason to want to leave.

Will Facebook lose 80 percent of it's users by 2017? I would say it could happen. I read about a lot of people who no longer use Facebook. Time will tell.

Collapse -
Facebook is very useful
by msecour / January 24, 2014 8:19 AM PST

I have family friends and professional colleagues all across the country as well as Europe and Japan. I have kept my friends list somewhat small, limited to people I actually know outside of Facebook. It is a great way to get out a quick word about important events and to share thoughts.

Collapse -
Does it really matter?
by lakefever / January 24, 2014 8:21 AM PST

A lot of things come and go. If it stays, fine. If it goes, something else will replace it. I do use it occasionally and it can be entertaining. My world will not crash either way. And I have already put too much thought into it.

Collapse -
Trendy is great
by johnedwardsbc / January 24, 2014 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Does it really matter?

As you say, it comes and goes, and no one is affected except the brilliant or non-brilliant speculative investor. Blackberry management comes to mind when compared to Apple management. I still speak to people and find it quite satisfying. You can't get a real heartfelt smile on Facebook.

Collapse -
Unexpected result
by capoderra / January 24, 2014 8:36 AM PST

I think people are finally realizing that Facebook doesn't keep people in touch. I found myself watching my feed and not having a quality conversation with anyone. Without Facebook, I'd call people more. The only thing that works is inviting people to events, but you don't need Facebook, just an email account. Facebook was fun when it was only for university students. Now it's being used against university students who post their shenanigans.

Collapse -
I do like Facebook at all, but I do use on the odd ocasion.
by briceone / January 24, 2014 8:44 AM PST

One main reason for its ability for the releasing of all the news from countries where there is supposed to be no news because what is going on in these places like Libya, Syria,Ukraine and oher similar places.My main reason for not liking is it is a prying programme that goes way beyond any realms of any privacy protection.

Collapse -
Not just teenagers leaving
by jburk / January 24, 2014 9:31 AM PST

I'm in my early seventies and been on Facebook for about three years. Having looked at hundreds of posts, there were probably less than 10 of any interest. I like to make good use of my time, and Facebook is an enemy of profitable time use.

Collapse -
FB is useful
by juditte / January 24, 2014 9:37 AM PST

Not for anything private but for quick updates, comments and photos. I use it several times a week and it keeps me abreast of farflung family and friend's activities. I can quickly skim through the news feed and pause for the items that interest me. I can post a photo I want to share widely and that is a lot simpler than sending 50 different emails. Those who are interested can look and others ignore. Nobody has to respond which is simpler all around.

I enjoy seeing the young children growing up, family photos, favorite places, lovely sunsets and links to video's or websites I might have missed and would enjoy. No one makes me go anywhere and nobody forces me to respond.

My "friends" list is not large and consists of people I am actually interested in and who are interested in me. I think having hundred's and thousands of friends is kind of meaningless.

Collapse -
I agree FB is useful
by dlreynolds / January 24, 2014 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: FB is useful

I am on the same page in that I have a small friends list limited to only family and close friends. I find it a great way to keep in touch with those out of town. I too enjoy viewing photos and updates.

Collapse -
Didn't vote but think it will be way down soon
by netsiu / January 24, 2014 11:00 AM PST

Teens and those under thirty like to show and tell way to much about themselves so as FB loosens more and more restrictions on advertisers and other out right criminals show or post more info about members they will leave.

That is why I post just enough to stay in touch but all intimate dialog goes email. FB's messenger equivalent gets personnel but not intimate.

Collapse -
internal controls and user protections unacceptable
by judywink-2009 / January 24, 2014 3:09 PM PST

With the increased emphasis on user protections and privacy, Facebook has enormous problems. I figure if the Founder as well as his family, can get their accounts hacked, their overall systems security is too minimalist for me! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Collapse -
Use it when I must, but keep blocking up at max
by Zhiroc / January 24, 2014 3:45 PM PST

I use it only when I "have to" because a business, etc. has made it the only way to get info. But I make sure to have my privacy all the way up, disable the app platform, never post myself, and have AdBlock+ and Ghostery blocking as much as I can.

Collapse -
The Demise Of Facebook
by dingerb29th / January 24, 2014 5:20 PM PST

I terminated my Facebook account 2 weeks ago. I used it rarely and never really trusted my ability to to get to grips with its privacy policies.The odd time I did go to Facebook I became more and more disillusioned with the endless drivel that people were posting and also sick of the constant unwanted notifications the site sent to my e-mail in box. Although a great lover of computing technology, I was never a great fan of social networking sites per se, preferring to communicate with friends and family using more traditional methods (by writing, by telephone, e-mail Skype etc). Apart from the fact that particularly young people have lost the ability to communicate with each other in writing (you only have to look at some of the awful spelling one sees on Facebook), I think it is sad that so many are happy to post such brain numbing crap or divulge their most intimate thoughts and secrets with total strangers. I for one would not shed a tear if and when Facebook goes to the wall.

Collapse -
by asrobs. / January 24, 2014 7:41 PM PST

Collapse -
Poll: Will Facebook lose 80 percent of users by 2017? - New!
by exsencon / January 24, 2014 9:45 PM PST

Rightly so! I've never been been on FB or twitter because you give away a big piece of your privacy no matter what they say. If I want to contact somebody I use old-fashioned email or even "worse": the telephone! And believe me, it works!

Collapse -
computer uses
by jebjebjebjeb / January 24, 2014 10:01 PM PST

Everyday I start by hitting up Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Sometimes, I like to throw in LinkedIn, for the professional shawties. Then I like to go on Reddit. Reddit is great because it has all the important links. Wikipedia! Mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. Take Ray J for example. We all know he's a singer, he's Brandy's brother, and he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But did you also know he's Snoop Dog's cousin and he was in the 96th Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks?! Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page. I love gChat, you can talk to anybody! I hit up brad.pitt. It wasn't the actor. It was actually a guy named Brad that's a teacher in Pittsburgh. We don't have a lot in common, but we chat quite a bit. Emojis are little cartoons you text instead of words. Instead of saying, 'What up, boo?' you can type 'What up' and then a cute little ghost because that means boo. There's even a little Indian guy, but he has a turban on, which I think is racist. But the Asian guy also has a racist hat on. And it's like, hold up didn't Japanese people invent this?! Podcasts! They're a million of them and they're all amazing! I have one called Nacho Average Podcast where we rate different kinds of nachos.

Collapse -
Funny or Not?
by triplet grandmom / January 24, 2014 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: computer uses

That is humorous, but sadly, you could be serious.

Collapse -
Facebook is Addictive - I Do Not "Like" It
by triplet grandmom / January 24, 2014 10:21 PM PST

I am on Facebook and I really don't like it. I wish I did not use Facebook, however it is the only way I can get some friends and family to keep in touch. My grandchildren live 600 miles away and with FB, I can see what's going on with them.

I hope to find a way to leave Facebook. I do believe people are addicted to it. It won't bother me if it dies.

I do believe a lot of use is as a marketing tool for businesses and this is fine.

Collapse -
Welcome to the blogosphere!
by Larry Launstein Jr / January 24, 2014 10:22 PM PST

I don't see Facebook going away anytime soon. That being said, welcome to the blogosphere! I have added a blog to my web site, and am seeing quite a few people use it to really good effect, especially in terms of marketing.

Collapse -
We use it & a ton of other social networks daily
by captkirkrm1 / January 24, 2014 10:52 PM PST

We use FB & a ton of other social networks daily for our music promotions & marketing. New social networks pop-up on a regular basis & some old ones go away. I remember the beginning of FB & what people were saying about it, that ain't going to work, who has time to deal with a system like FB & where are we today? I'm sure the next big thing is right around the corner & if companies like FB, Twitter, MySpace, etc don't learn to evolve then YES they could be gone but I won't take that bet right now. It would be nice to have that 5000 limit raised though.

Collapse -
Parallels PC, email, internet, and other tech innovations
by dword / January 24, 2014 11:07 PM PST

Productive, educational, and entertaining at first but becomes drudgery. Spreadsheets didn't liberate accountants, just meant more work for them. Email was cool until bad manners, spam, and viruses created problems. Sifting for gold on the internet is dirty and sometimes dangerous work. Facebook was awesome at first but developed the same problems as email and the net.

The learning curve for them all grows exponentially if you want to keep current and safe. I began backing away from Facebook when I was spending more time figuring out their latest changes than using it. Likewise, I started replaying older PC games when the newer ones took so long to learn.

Why don't I just give up? Because I love technology. I love the sweet time following innovation and introduction. I enjoy programming.

Things get complicated at the tech/user interface and that is where Facebook excels. I think more housewives use Facebook than anyone.

I believe Facebook will survive but with a lower profile than now. 80%? Maybe not but those who stay will be using it less.

Burroughs, VisiCalc, CompuServe, AltaVista, AOL, and others made their mark too. Facebook will join them as a Social Media innovator.

Collapse -
Yeh.. I check in pretty much daily...
by Wolfie2k5 / January 25, 2014 12:29 AM PST

...Just to check out all the cat pics...

FWIW, I also keep in touch with people, but for the most part, I don't spend hours online there any longer.

Collapse -
Not what it once was but has it uses
by Desvarzil / January 25, 2014 2:07 AM PST

Until recently, I rarely, if ever used Facebook. I tracked down a few old friends and that was about the extent of it, once I hunted them down we usually took the conversation to more convential means, i.e., email or (gasp) a phone call. However, it has been a godsend in keeping friends and family "in the loop" with my wife's hospitialization. But, once this crisis has passed I am fairly certain that I will go back to my old ways of not checking Facebook every five minutes.

Collapse -
Facebook Too Shall Pass
by JVCooperative / January 25, 2014 2:49 AM PST

Two words: remember MySpace? At one time, it was on the cutting edge. Now, everyone's profile says, "last logged in: 2008." Facebook is more advanced and mainstream than MySpace, but I have always thought that it too shall pass. Beyond that, already many people are sick not only of Facebook in particular but of the way these social networks, for all their convenience, reduce our interactions to trivial, bite-size pieces devoid of any real substance. Also you might want to ask yourself why the Department of Defense and CIA (via In-Q-Tel) put so much behind Facebook.

Collapse -
by kdoiron / January 25, 2014 3:01 AM PST

I've never had an account, so I never use it. I've seen contests from time to time that look interesting but that I have to pass on because the only way to enter is via Facebook.

I think the best way to sum up Facebook is with one of Betty White's comments. After she was "drafted" to host SNL by a Facebook petition, she said she looked at the site to see what it was all about, and the first thing she came up with was, "what a waste of time!".

Collapse -
Like anything else, it will continue whilst it's relevant
by Uzume13 / January 25, 2014 6:30 AM PST

I use FB to keep in touch with friends across the UK and USA, which suits my needs.

However, when a newer platform comes along, which meets need. demand and is fit for purpose, people will shift allegiance. With increased advertising and increasingly questionable tactics to reduce privacy; plenty of people I know are getting sick of FB so if that shows a trend, there could well be an 'in road' for something new. Regular changes including the 'feed' on the side of the screen, 'timeline' etc also annoy a lot of people.

For now, it meets my needs but I have stopped posting anything personal and mainly use it for superficial comment and private messages.

So if there are any whizz kids out there with a better idea - I hope we hear from them because I think the tide would turn in their favour, should a brilliant idea to rival FB be created.

I'm not sure where the percentages in the stats quoted came from, it all seems a bit spurious to me! I could say 95% of statistical evidence is misleading for example. It might be true! Then again....

Collapse -
I use Facebook for two things
by Aseriesguy / January 25, 2014 11:45 AM PST

I joined Facebook in 2009 to stay in touch with my 1960 high school 50th reunion effort. That group continues to be active on FB and I check it once or twice a month. I also stay in touch with my brother's side of the family. My niece is posting baby/toddler pictures there about every hour or so but I look at it once a week or so. Facebook is great if used for your own benefit and not for someone else.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.