Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Poll: Who do you trust for your computer repair?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 17, 2012 7:21 AM PDT
Who do you trust for your computer repair?

-- Big-box chain store retailer.
-- My local self-owned computer repair shop.
-- My friends or family.
-- Factory/OEM technicians.
-- I only trust myself.
-- Other.

Vote here:

And discuss below.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Who do you trust for your computer repair?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Who do you trust for your computer repair?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I used to fix things myself
by ESUNintel / August 17, 2012 10:01 AM PDT

There was once a time when I used to build my own desktops and not purchase warranties on laptops. I don't have time for gaming anymore, so don't have a tower. As far as laptops go, I've been having to buy warranties since everything is soldered in. I have a MacBook Air and a Sony Vaio Z and I know if something goes wrong there's very little I'll be able to do; so I suppose I'll just go lineup at the Apple Store or Sony Style and listen to non-techy people ask how they check their email while I wait.

Collapse -
The 'Poll' isn't quite the same as the original message.
by bcw142 / August 17, 2012 10:41 AM PDT

In the 'Poll' I see Big-box chain store retailer as the first two entries and My local self-owned computer repair shop is missing. In my case I only trust myself. I have worked for a chain store and they will do what they can which will either be clean it or reinstall. They can generally do backups as well (before they reinstall), and put most of the stuff back (you don't want the viruses back). Factory/OEM technicians are no different and can be associated with the Big-box chains. My friends or family can take more time than the others (except yourself), but might not be as good.

Collapse -
Sorry about that...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 20, 2012 2:35 AM PDT

The poll is fixed now.

Collapse -
by netsiu / August 17, 2012 2:03 PM PDT

Myself and then to a local repair/tech shop.

Collapse -
My local self-owned computer repair shop
by websquad / August 17, 2012 3:38 PM PDT

I trust my local self-owned computer repair shop with my custom-built rig. Big box chain store would not know what to do with it. Have no friends or family that can go beyond my own technical skills. Since it is custom-built (and the shop the built is has gone out of business), I was fortunate to find an honest local shop to repair it, and at a fixed rate of either $80 or $100 + parts. He charged me $80 for my last repair, and I tipped him $20. With a SSD system drive, four disk drives, two video cards, etc., it is not a trivial system to navigate.

Collapse -
Seeing that I build my desktops and have only the one laptop
by tango_fox1 / August 17, 2012 9:15 PM PDT

I trust myself mostly for tech support and after that I look on forums etc. If it comes to it I would take it to my local self-owned computer repair shop.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / August 17, 2012 11:24 PM PDT

I built it (them) so I maintain them.

Collapse -
by baybreeze / September 1, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

So far, any problems I've had with my own pcs, I've been able to fix myself. I have been lucky, though, since nothing has been very complicated. It's usually been either software/OS issues, replacing RAM & drives. There were a few things where I found help/answers in forums and I followed the advice to fix a pc.

If something comes up that's more complicated, I am not sure who I would go to. I had a laptop my family bought for a nephew for Christmas where the screen was suddenly black, but we bought an extended warranty through a well-known warranty company and they fixed it very quickly. So far my dealings with this company have been pleasant and the service quick. So I think I might trust them for other gadgets. Aside from this, I think I would do some research to try to find a reputable local repair facility.

Collapse -
Since moving to a new location 6 years ago
by The ancient one / September 4, 2012 10:05 AM PDT

I have relied primarily on myself with a very big assist from CNET forums. Without you guys, I don't know what I would have done other than look for some local outfit that was recommended. Particularly like to commend Grif, Kees, and Robert who have had the patience to work with me and give me good advice and also other non-moderators who have contributed to help me along. Just recently after installing a new hard drive, I was unable to get my all-in-one printer to scan and called the company tech who went through my computer and did all of the things that I had tried and he finally gave up. Bob suggested that it might be a problem connected with the motherboard drivers, so I contacted Intel and downloaded 6 drivers and installed them. The scanner worked fine after that.
Thanks to all!!
The Ancient One (I am in my mid 80's but hopefully haven't slowed down too much)

Collapse -
I use CNet, WinHelpOnline, and diagnostic software :)
by rf2ooo / September 7, 2012 11:29 AM PDT

I frequently use Cnet & WinHelpOnline for researching issues I come across, and use simple tools such as "Startup Delayer", "Tune Up Utilities", and a few others to analyze and manage active processes on all my systems. For physical hardware that needs to be repaired or replaced, I often buy parts from online sources such as my computer's manufacturer since it's cheap, abundant, and easy to locate exactly what I need which isn't often available at retail stores.

I generally fix things for myself no matter if it's my computer, my car, my home, or anywhere else, I just find it easier to do things for myself rather than have to rely on others which can be both a hassle and inconvenient to them and to myself, not to mention that if I mess things up, I only have myself to blame whereas if someone else messes up, it may only make things worse then I'd blame myself for not just doing it myself to begin with, if that makes sense. Happy

Collapse -
computer repair shop
by laurenrodriguez / September 18, 2012 5:05 PM PDT

I would go to my local self-owned computer repair shop.

Collapse -
Big-box chain store retailer.
by mariacateria / September 18, 2012 7:05 PM PDT

Big-box chain store retailer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.