The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Poll: Which version of Windows are you running?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 26, 2010 5:24 AM PST

Which version of Windows are you running on your main computer at home?

Windows 7
Windows Vista
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98
Windows 95
A version that is too embarrassing to mention.
I don't do Windows.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Which version of Windows are you running?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Which version of Windows are you running?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WinXP MCE
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 8:59 AM PST

This is the last version of Windows I'll ever intentionally buy. I have one dedicated WinXP machine for legacy work, two Linux machines (one Mint, one multi-boot with Mint, PCLinuxOS, & Puppy), and my netbook which dual boots WinXP and Linux Mint. I briefly had a Vista laptop, but I gave it away to my granddaughter - good riddance!

I still maintain Windows machines (WinXP, Vista, & Win7) for others, so at any given moment, there's likely to be one or more Windows machines (along with other Linux machines) in my house. But, I'm done with them for my personal use.

Collapse -
Poll re Windows 7
by mmasi58 / February 26, 2010 9:01 AM PST

Computer came loaded with Vista and somehow everything is Windows 7 for more than several months. I find Win 7 is too invasive and hate it. Don't like it....but stuck with it.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by craanens / February 27, 2010 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Poll re Windows 7

I am trying to figure out why Windows 7 is portrayed as an improvement, it is to intrusive I am stuck with it but still feel Windows XP was user friendly and prefere that version, Vista was a total flop.

Collapse -
PC Operating Systems
by lizwilliams / February 26, 2010 9:21 AM PST

What I do find offensive is when buying a new PC you are left with no choice of operating systems. I currently have Vista (not by choice) but for me to have Vista removed and XP installed was going to cost me extra $$$. That I do find wrong and nothing but a money grabbing scheme by retailers . When buying a new PC we should be allowed the choice of systems. And judging from the poll results XP still has the majority, and this is something Microsoft should take note of.

Liz

Collapse -
You're not really stuck with Vista
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: PC Operating Systems

Replace it with Linux Mint. It's free, secure, and reliable (all much more so than any version of Windows). Only one of my computers runs the OS that was shipped on it.

Collapse -
PC Systems
by lizwilliams / February 26, 2010 9:30 AM PST

I am use to Vista now but I still find the fact that we have no choice a disgrace. And I don't know enough about Linux to be honest.

Collapse -
PC systems
by mmasi58 / February 26, 2010 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: PC Systems

lizwilliams definitely it is a disgrace that with the Vista pc there are no choices. I will go further and say that our pc's are compromised and it is because....maybe I am paranoid.....but I think that it is to keep tabs on all of us. And, I don't mean only the government (which must be that way for security) but all the others, such as advertisers and hackers and the like.

Collapse -
"I don't know enough about Linux to be honest."
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: PC Systems

One of the nice things about most Linux distributions (a distribution is just a "flavor" of Linux OS) is that they're available as LiveCD's. A LiveCD is a bootable CD that will let you run the OS without actually installing it. If you like it, then you can install it - either as a replacement for Windows or as a dual-boot installation where you select the OS when the machine boots up. I usually recommend Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) or PCLinuxOS (http://pclinuxos.com/) for Windows refugees. Both will seem instantly familiar. Download the .ISO (CD image) file and burn it to a CD-R. After burning it, leave it in the CD tray and reboot.

Collapse -
I dont know enough about Linus to be honest
by mmasi58 / February 26, 2010 9:58 AM PST

Definitely, don't know anything and don't trust the ads. Look at what Windows 7 ballyhoo got me. Nothing but disgust. It is like I don't own my own computer.

Collapse -
Thanks
by al2k03 / February 28, 2010 12:15 AM PST

Thank you for the URLs. Excellent post

Collapse -
Linux Mint
by purdyleespackle / February 26, 2010 9:58 AM PST

I have no clue where to go to get 'free' Linux Mint. Also, is this a case of 'the devil we know vs. the devil we don't know'?

Collapse -
Mint, where?
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: Linux Mint

"I have no clue where to go to get 'free' Linux Mint."

Download it for free from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. Use the CD image (.ISO) file you download to burn a bootable CD-R, then boot Mint from it (i.e. leave the CD-R in the drive, then restart your PC). That will give you the chance to try it without installing it since it will be running entirely from the CD. From that point, you can install it (either replacing Widows or creating a dual-boot machine) just by clicking the "Install" icon on the Mint desktop.

"Also, is this a case of 'the devil we know vs. the devil we don't know'?"

Of course. However, by using the LiveCD to try it out, you can make an informed decision as to which devil is more evil. If you decide that Linux isn't for you, you remove the LiveCD and restart your PC - Windows will then reboot as if nothing had ever happened.

Collapse -
vizenos also makes a good point
by rbsjrx / February 27, 2010 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Mint, where?

As noted, if any particular Linux distribution (a/k/a "distros") seems close to, but not quite what you want, there are other Linux options. Mint is nothing but cleaned up Ubuntu, which makes it a generally safe and popular choice, but it might not be for everyone. For someone looking for the most Windows-compatible look and feel, I'd recommend PCLinuxOS (download from http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180). If either of these gives you any installation problems, you might want to look at Mepis (https://www.mepis.org/). For those who want the perceived security that comes from experience in a corporate environment, you might want to check out Fedora (from Red Hat - see http://fedora.redhat.com/), Open SUSE (from Novell - see http://www.opensuse.org/en/), or OpenSolaris(from Sun - see http://www.opensolaris.com/).

Collapse -
Linux Mint
by vizenos / February 27, 2010 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Linux Mint

To download Linux Mint, go to the following webssite
<http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php>
and click on "Direct Download". This will get you the ISO file for Linux Mint 8, main edition (the most stable). Burn the ISO file to a CD (using Roxio, Nero, or whatever disk-making program you prefer,
then put the resulting CD into your optical drive and reboot. You should get options including install, run from your CD drive without installing (this is recommended, so you can see if you like the Linux Mint distro). The process is the same for any linux distro; just go to DistroWatch, click on the linux distro that interests you, and you'll get an info page that tells you, among many other things, the link to where you go to download the free version (if any; some linux distros don't give away anything for free).

If Linux Mint turns out to not be what you want, go back to DistroWatch and try another brand of linux. I'd strongly recommend
Ubuntu (for those who prefer the Gnome GUI) or Kubuntu (for those who, like me, prefer the KDE GUI).

Bear in mind that every single linux distro is SOMEBODY's favorite, but may not be YOUR favorite; so keep the URL (link) for DistroWatch <http://distrowatch.com/> for future reference--you'll be glad you did. Grin

Regards,
Jim

Collapse -
There is a choice
by pamelad / February 26, 2010 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: PC Operating Systems

I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but Dell offers a choice of operating systems, even including an option of XP in an Inspiron line as of today. It costs "... only $120 more" than Windows 7.

Were I to buy a new computer today, I'd probably go with Win 7. I'm glad, (for my own needs, to each his own) that I skipped Vista and paid extra for the older OS, XP at the time, shortly after Vista was officially released.

Interesting that a geeky poll such as this still shows XP as the leader. I guess that many of us are happy enough with XP and intentionally skipped Vista, but when we replace our old computers, Windows 7 will be good enough by then.

Collapse -
Popularity of WinXP
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: There is a choice

"Interesting that a geeky poll such as this still shows XP as the leader."

It's not just here. Every market survey I've seen shows that WinXP still holds over 50% of the Windows market. Outside North America, it's even more dominant. M$ tried to kill it, but then netbooks came along and they pretty much had to keep it.

A large factor is simple economics. Low-end PCs and netbooks now sell for under $400 - sometimes under $300. Since the development costs of WinXP have already been amortized, it's the only OS that Microsoft can sell on very cheap machines without losing money. They're continuing their campaign to kill it off, but the nature of the low-end hardware where it's most popular makes it an uphill climb. Win7 is a significant improvement over Vista (what wouldn't be?), but it still needs more powerful hardware than WinXP in order to match WinXP's performance.

Collapse -
My shortcomings
by purdyleespackle / February 26, 2010 9:22 AM PST

I use Vista Home Premium and have been quite satisfied. Browsers are the problem. IE7 was a mess. Went to IE8 and still experienced pot holes in the road. So, I switched to Firefox and things smoothed out. Now, it's Comcast with all their crazy stuff. Looks like nirvana is beyond reach. Maybe Mac is the answer.

Collapse -
"Maybe Mac is the answer."
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: My shortcomings

In what universe does trading one evil empire for another make sense?!? Linux, like Mac OS X, is based on Unix. However, it's free and runs on any PC hardware.

Collapse -
Maybe Mac is the answer
by mmasi58 / February 26, 2010 9:52 AM PST

dear rbsjrx - just lately I have been so disgusted with Vista and Windows 7 that my son offered to buy me another computer. The reason is he shares my computer and has Ebay and the like for his personal stuff. He knows I no longer enjoy the computer since he bought the HP with the Vista program.

He said a friend of his at work, an engineer, advised him to buy me an Apple computer and I probably would enjoy it again.

Perhaps, I have gone off the subject but do you have any thoughts?

Sure would appreciate hearing from you.

Collapse -
Macs
by rbsjrx / February 26, 2010 1:22 PM PST

He said a friend of his at work, an engineer, advised him to buy me an Apple computer and I probably would enjoy it again.

Perhaps, I have gone off the subject but do you have any thoughts?"

Macs have a lot to recommend them. Like Linux, Mac OS X is based on the international POSIX standard. Like Windows, but unlike Linux, it's still a proprietary OS. Worst, it only runs on Apple hardware. If that's OK with you, then he's probably right. I have a grandson in San Jose who just traded his PC for a Mac and is deliriously happy with it. OTOH, I just migrated his mother to Linux and his sister is now using my old Vista laptop.

The advantage of POSIX OSs is that they were originally designed for multiple users and support multiple file systems. By being multiuser form the ground up, they suffer few of Windows inherent security vulnerabilities which date back to its days as single user MS/PC-DOS. Windows only supports FAT and NTFS file systems, which are 30 and 20 years old, respectively/ The multiuser nature of POSIX not only makes it more secure, but coupled with the ability to use modern file systems means it doesn't experience the fragmentation problems so common to Windows systems. Most modern POSIX file systems (e.g. ext3, ext4) also feature journaling, so even a catastrophic power failure during a disk write will result in minor and recoverable data corruption unless the disk is physically damaged.

Arguably the biggest advantage is that POSIX doesn't use Windows' bizarre and unreliable registry system (AAMOF, no other OS does!)

Collapse -
Mac?!
by rgrut / February 26, 2010 10:11 AM PST

If MAC is the answer, it was a stupid question!

Collapse -
IE7-8
by peggyexton / February 27, 2010 12:49 AM PST

So it's VISTA that is screwing up my IE. I, also, had to switch to Firefox. I'm actually running two computers off one monitor and keyboard, and believe it or not, it is Win98. I have a DOS program that I refuse to give up until every avenue is exhausted, or until somebody re-invents Managing Your Money. Quicken and Microsoft Money do not do the job, and I haven't been able to find anything that does. Thanks to Andrew Tobias for answering all my email and helping me out.

Collapse -
Mac the answer?
by vizenos / February 27, 2010 7:27 AM PST

<<I use Vista Home Premium and have been quite satisfied. Browsers are the problem. IE7 was a mess. Went to IE8 and still experienced pot holes in the road. So, I switched to Firefox and things smoothed out. Now, it's Comcast with all their crazy stuff. Looks like nirvana is beyond reach. Maybe Mac is the answer.>>

That could well be, but what was the question? Wink

Collapse -
Poll: Which version of Windows are you running?
by hssdepp / February 26, 2010 10:19 AM PST

I used Win98 ever since it came out. In the last month or so, I got a new computer that came with Win7. Talk about a culture shock -- I believe I missed FOUR versions of Windows in between 98 and 7! I feel like someone who went from taking the bus to driving a Rolls-Royce! I'm still not too sure what I'm doing, but every day I learn something new, and I plan to be checking these forums a lot more now. Thanks!

Collapse -
Windows versions
by rgrut / February 26, 2010 10:32 AM PST

Each newer version of windows is an improvement with the exception of Vista. Windows 7 is nice, I've been using it since the beta was released. I was one of the lucky ones that pre-ordered 7 for $50 a copy and wish I would have bought about 20 copies instead of only 3.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by lizwilliams / February 26, 2010 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Windows versions

Some friends who have 7 said they like it but for the fact that some programs are not Windows 7 ready. I do know others who waited for Vista for that same reason and yes some are happy with it and some aren't. At the moment I will stick with my Vista while I learn from others about Windows 7

Collapse -
Windows versions
by combssrlckc / February 26, 2010 1:06 PM PST

I have used all of the window programs,I still use XP it is now a great program,I also have vista it is slower than XP or windows 7 on the same computer.I also got in on the 50.00 deal,and it was a great deal.Windows 7 is the way to go,If you have vista you won't go wrong getting it.

Collapse -
Remember Windows ME
by pamelad / February 26, 2010 1:28 PM PST

Not every major revision of Windows is an improvement. Don't forget the awful Windows ME!

That was smart of you to pre-order Windows 7 for $50 a copy.

Collapse -
The horror of nostalgia
by rbsjrx / February 27, 2010 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Remember Windows ME

Ah, Windows ME... It's the one Windows release that firmly fixed in my mind the sucker punch feeling in my gut that I can get from Microsoft when I have to pay for something "new and improved", only to find out that it's neither. I'd gotten the same feeling from previous Windows releases (Win3.0 and Win98, just to name two - Win3.1[1], Win2k, and WinXP gave me the least trouble), but WinME is the one that finally cemented Microsoft in my mind as an Evil Empire. What's worst is that every time M$ "upgrades" a product, they try to assure that the previous version will be crippled, thus forcing the upgrade.

OTOH, I immediately recognized Apple as an Evil Empire after Woz left.

Collapse -
re Vista
by Gerard Mulgrew / February 26, 2010 11:22 AM PST

I went from XP to Vista Home Premium (unwillingly) when I bought a new laptop, but I've never had any problems with it. I use IE8, and Norton 360 keeps the laptop clean and "lean."

Google Chrome was the only program that gave me any trouble ( couldn't open some attachments or links ) but that was resolved once I uninstalled it made IE my default again.

I've always been quite happy with Vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.