Desktops

General discussion

Poll: Which desktop computer "brand name" do you prefer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 11, 2008 4:48 AM PDT

Which desktop computer "brand name" do you prefer?

Acer (Please explain why.)
Apple (Please explain why.)
Dell (Please explain why.)
eMachine (Please explain why.)
Gateway (Please explain why.)
HP (Please explain why.)
Lenovo (Please explain why.)
Sony (Please explain why.)
No-name (custom built) (Please explain why.)
Other (What is it?)

We all have our brands loyalties, so please respect each others opinions and keep this discussion civil. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Which desktop computer "brand name" do you prefer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Which desktop computer "brand name" do you prefer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IBM. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 11, 2008 7:42 AM PDT

They're built like a tank. I currently have four (two desktops and two laptops), and three others have been given to kids, and all are still working. IBM has the best on line update service anywhere. One click and IBM looks at the machine, and recommends updates all the way down to BIOS updates. I did have one problem with a laptop (turned out it was my problem), but when I called support the guy was located in Atlanta, Ga. And he spoke English. To me, this is worth more than money.

How many threads are started with an IBM problem?

Collapse -
IBM - NOT - Now LENOVO
by FastEddi / April 19, 2008 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: IBM. . .

The IBM boxes you refer to are now LENOVO - or China's best kept secret!

Or are you referring to older IBM machines prior to the sale; with that I agree with everything you say -- I have 3 older laptops - they just work and I have never had a problem; plus I like the "tracking" device in the middle of the keyboard.

Fasteddi

Collapse -
Dell is my preference
by SirCasak / April 11, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

Two words - Tech support!

Collapse -
Watch this
by deyanimay / April 11, 2008 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell is my preference
Collapse -
You like Dell for their Tech support?
by dbmrn / April 19, 2008 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell is my preference

If Dell made good computers, they and you would not have to brag about their tech support. I currently have 2 Acers...a desktop and a laptop. No problems with either of them. Prior to that I had 2 gateway computers. No tech support was needed on either of them, either. Guess those brands are better made than Dell. Sorry, guy.

Collapse -
Acer
by chipclada / April 25, 2008 5:02 AM PDT

It is a good thing your Acer hasn't given you any problems. When I bought mine last month, it had a bad sound card. In order to repair it, I would have to mail the entire computer to the depot and then they will take 7-10 business days to repair it, so, with using priority mail (I live in the US Virgin Islands), I would be without a computer for a month. This is no way to run a business and I will never buy another Acer; consequently, I can't recommend Acer to anyone else. There were other problems, too, with the pre-installed software. Frankly, I found Acer to be a nightmare unless you live in the same town as the depot.

Collapse -
Custom Built
by snowcrashuk / April 11, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

CUSTOM BUILT

for the last 10 years I've been building my own PCs rather than any 'Brand' PCs, basically because it works out cheaper and I know everything that's in it. Alot of my friends have bought 'brand' PCs with varying degrees of reliability and performance. I'm currently running an Intel Q6600 water cooled and overclocked to 3Ghz, ASUS stryker 2 formula motherboard, geforce 9600 GT Sonic 512Mb Graphics card, 8 Gb DDR2 800 RAM, 1 x Raptor 150Gb SATA HDD, 2 x 750Gb SATA HDD, lightscribe DVD writer in a thermaltake Armor case and connected to 2 x 22" widescreen monitors and also connected to my 50" plasma TV via the graphics cards HDMi output all running Vista ultimate 64bit.

This system has cost alot of money but it can be built up a step at a time so spreading the cost to a more affordable range and ending up with a constantly evolving system.

I'm not knocking any of the brand make PCs but for me personally i like to get into the guts of a computer and get a great satisfaction from doing it myself.

From the experiences of friends etc I'd probably rate Dell over many of the rest for reliability and eMachines probably rate worst as most of my friends who have bought one have had nothing but trouble and they had no luck with customer support either.

Collapse -
No Name, No Money from MY Pocket to Advertise someone else..
by dragonbiker / April 11, 2008 10:48 AM PDT

Everyone likes their breakfast, lunch, dinner, Clothing, Music, Etc. a certain way.
Why shouldn't OUR Computer System be made the way WE want???
From the case on, there are choices, choices, choices.
YET, my wife gets frustrated in the "Cereal" aisle, because......"TOO many CHOICES"!!!
I want to know each and every component in MY system, (I have someone build it for me), but I choose (Or have suggested) what drive, RAM, Videro Card, How many Fans, Drives, Etc. I want, THEN, when I'm done (And my wallet is crying for mercy, I choosw what case I want.
See-Through, Lit??, Am I going to carry it? (Oh NO, it stays PUT)
But my biggest factor is "EXPANDIBILITY"!!!!!!
My system has some components 9Including the case), that going on ten years old now.
It has four fans, a upgraded 500GB HD, Wonderful new Flat Screen Monitor, have gone through keyboards like my wife goes through pantyhose (Anyone else NOW despise Wireless keyboards)??
When it comes time to "Start Over", I am confident that much of what I am using now will be utilized, and as far as... Ahem, UH, TECH support....., Well, the guy or GAL, who built the system for me, has all of the component criteria at their fingertips, no "MYSTERY" gear that's "Sorry, you can only use OUR parts with OUR Components" runaround.
NOW, if there is need for MULTIPLE systems say as for a Office app, THEN, I would have to say "DELL", because as a "Temp", I am in many many many offices, and the vast majority is DELL.
Now, If I can only convince my wife that "Alienware" really will make the internet a "Smoother, Faster, Cheaper" place to be......

Collapse -
RE: No Name, No Money from MY Pocket to Advertise someone el

Eww, Dellienware? Overpriced flashy computers, I say.

Collapse -
No Name
by kiwited / April 11, 2008 11:30 AM PDT

I build my own PC's for a number of reasons:
1. A new PC with the features I build in would cost considerably more.
2. I use Ubuntu Linux. Most new PC's come with Vista or XP pre-installed. I have no need of these so have no desire to pay royalties to Microsoft.
3. In my experience hardware problems are very rare. Most issues that I had problems with back in my Windows days related to software weaknesses. These are also not a problem, and any questions are quickly answered by a very active forum.

I am running a 64bit 6400+ AMD dual core processor with a Radeon 2600 video.

Collapse -
RE: noname
by [xiong.chiamiov] / April 13, 2008 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: No Name

Amen, brother. When I built my pc, I hadn't switched to Kubuntu yet, so I did buy an XP cd (which was part of the reason I built, Vista having recently taken over). But now, I have high-quality parts that I appreciate all the time (for example, air filters that I can pop off and clean, rather than opening my case to blow out all the dust). Though I must say, you chose an ATI card intentionally for use with linux? Now that they've been bought by AMD, they're actually making drivers, but still, NVIDIA support is way better.

Collapse -
Poll: Which desktop computer "brand name" do you prefer?
by Gary Wyatt / April 11, 2008 12:02 PM PDT

Basic Dell today, with Michael back at the helm can't be beat IMHO just bought two more 3/11 Duo core Intel 2.2 GHZ 2MB RAM, 250 HD 20" flat panel analog, Dual Optical 48X CD/ Burner and 16x DVD+/DVD-, Integrated graphics, 10/100 NIC, XP 499.00 each delivered........just cant get a better deal than this and a 1 year warranty

Collapse -
E Machine - Cheap and Shiney
by queenlint1 / April 11, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

I researched machines with an eye towards reliability, cost and customer service. After reading countless reviews on CNET adn seeing comparisons, I chose the E Machine. It fit within my very Spartan budget, does what I need it to do and so far as a wannabe Mr. Wizard on computerese, no problems. However, the customer service bragged about in reviews is less than the stellar in MHO: My issues with my CD burner and drive door with an, "Oh well. Whatever you want to do", attitude.

Seems that companies STILL don't get that consumers have a choice. And they talk.

Lee, maybe a discussion on customer service needs a new airing?

Blessings,
Dina

Collapse -
emachines.....AMEN!!!!
by mrjeremy88 / April 11, 2008 1:58 PM PDT

I've heard many people put down emachine computers before (including the salesman that sold me mine), but honestly my $500 T3092 that I bought 3 & 1/2 years ago has been spectacular. I have had ZERO problems with it, and even if it explodes in another year...who cares! It was still half the price of a Dell/HP/etc. and it's time to upgrade anyway. I only wish they still made Laptops, I'd buy one in a heartbeat for my next computer.

Collapse -
IBM/Lenovo
by gurnx / April 11, 2008 12:12 PM PDT

I use 2 thinkpads and have owned 3 earlier IBM thinkpads. Earlier poster is correct, they're the easiest systems to upgrade; 'system update' grabs BIOS, driver, and even Windows updates all at one time. The updates are tuned to the specific machine, no non-applicable updates. Only notebook that you can place on the ground and stand upon. See their well-written blog at http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/

They remind me of michelin tires; pricey, but once you make the switch you never buy anything else.

Collapse -
No more brand names for me
by arnold88 / April 11, 2008 12:18 PM PDT

After building 3 computers for people in the house, I would not be of a mind to buy a ready-made brand name for personal use. It's a real breath of fresh air to not have the crap/shovel ware that is loaded on brand name computers. The primary tech support is immediately at hand and I might only have to deal with MicroSoft or some other vendor on a small issue.
I have an intimate knowledge of the components and software with no need to send the PC to the factory or turn it over to a repair service.
When I may indeed have questions, I don't have to wait on hold ad infitum for an answer, they're mostly available on-line and very quick and easy to get.

Collapse -
custom build is more than any one
by adhi wibowo / April 11, 2008 12:40 PM PDT

custom build (CB) has more profit better any one, even though the spec must be compatible with the other hardware in computer desktop.

u can choice the best hardware and can combine to make the best perform and quality in your computer. if u actually using animation or games program u can understand what i mean..

with CB u can learn how to installed your own computer, u can cut more price computer from technician computer or build computer, u can upgrade as u need or want without worrying to difficult search some hardware, u can choice other mark which compatible to u, 'n finally u can sell it hardware one by one if u boring.

Collapse -
I preffer personalized.
by Martinchox / April 11, 2008 12:49 PM PDT

Hello everybody, this is my first reply here in CNET forums, and I was just interested in the poll. I preffer to build my own computer, I select the cabin, the motherboard, and such hardware items, as well as sources and stuff, they are customized to my needs. For me, and I think that for many too, the best thing to do is to build your own computer, if you know what you're doing of course. Thanks for reading!
Mart

Collapse -
Which Prefered Desktop Computer Brand Name
by billy2hat / April 11, 2008 1:42 PM PDT

My personal preference would be HP because of its design & after sales service. More over its quite reliable so far coz i've tried a couple of other brands and this brand have not give me any problems...

Collapse -
Yeah! HP run great
by Josepe-sv / April 12, 2008 12:25 AM PDT

The HP machines are more friendly with restore cds and waranty. I like the AMD HP machines. Support Ok.
Dell is easy to back WinXP because DellOEM cd with XP can be installed instead Vista without activation. -believe me, too much ask by downgrade-
The Cons of Dell is some tower/desktop models are ugly design. But support Ok.

eMachines is nice and good style. Price is better. At this time i never needed support.

Collapse -
HP
by Dango517 / April 11, 2008 2:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Paying for whom deserves

Lets set a clear point: well made things are precious monuments from that hidden and beautiful side of human being. Firms and their brands are after our money, but when that is done with the quality reward to consumers, that is simply wonderful. Apple does that job quite like that, and also for quite a long time. Then I love LINUX and open source; it lives well with Apple. Then I need Windows too; it runs on Apple. Sure, Apple does play some bad tricks, but that happens one in a thousand of times you times, and on my personal experience it has never happen to damage my work. Thank you Mr. Jobs, commerce is a wild land and may make also of you to act as a wild and nasty person, but I understand you and support your brand.

Collapse -
For sure
by kevanatkins / April 11, 2008 4:54 PM PDT

I couldn't agree more. I personally just choose anything that'll work. I use apple myself. I have gone through too many computers in my time. This one seems to work the best. I have a MacBook. It's surely built like a brick. I'm happy with it. Steve Jobs and the design team deserve a fridge of fine imported beer.

Collapse -
The Past Does Not Refleft The Future
by mmrpmitchell / April 11, 2008 4:55 PM PDT

Previously I have always had - and - furthermore recommended Dell Systems. From My Early PII 300Ghz & 1GHz PIII. This being in the main because they have always been very reliable and reasonably priced. Looking now however this seems to have changed with the Dell web site basically going all out to snare the would be buyer to parting with hard earned cash - not on system components but on warranties etc...You seem to have now pay through the nose for what was once expected. Additionally I have found that upgrading system components through Dell is very expensive. This time I have therfore decided to try a build my own - with a specification I require for my needs - we will see if this was worth the gamble [assuming I do not trash any components during the build process !!]

Regards

Paul Mitchell

Collapse -
My vote for HP
by devcrazy / April 11, 2008 4:58 PM PDT

I like HP. Love the technology, always reliable (at least in my experience), but their so-called "tech support" sucks, ever since outsourcing to India. I've had HP's for many years, and I loved when I had a problem and called the "american-based" tech support...they always helped me resolve whatever it was ailing my PC, but no more, I can't stand talking to an Indian as most of my calls have been so frustrating. I usually can't understand their "english" or they don't know jack about my problem(s), so I gave up calling a long time ago and usually either resolve it myself or thru someone on the net. Otherwise, I have no problem with HP's technology. There, I said it, that's my vote.

Collapse -
Custom Built, "No Name"
by mick2222 / April 11, 2008 5:18 PM PDT

Mine is a custom built, "No Name."
I got it, because:

a. I know the builder.
b. I respect his opinion.
c. He is a technoid, not a sales rep!
d. He shopped around for the most modern hardware (nothing, past its use-by date!).

Regards,
Mick2222

Collapse -
Which Desktop PC Brand name I Prefer?
by Violite2U / April 11, 2008 6:41 PM PDT

Sony! Since it has been around for awhile, and always seem to make good quality items. No matter what it is! Radio's, TV's, Stereo's, all in general. I'm know expert, but using Sony from experience of 25 years. Never had any problems with there items. Thanks and thats my opinion. Just from my personal use in my home. Thanks You1

Collapse -
If you know what you put in, you'll know what you'll get out
by steveflett / April 11, 2008 7:43 PM PDT

I have always build my own machines, (Well... Since about 1996 when I first started!). Although I do appreciate that computer system manufacturers build machines suitable for most everyday users, that will work for most purposes and programs, I do think that if you are looking for a computer that can work well for customized/specific uses/programs, then a custom computer works best. You can change what you want within the pc without having problems for example; invalidating the warremty on your machine, or problems locating drivers that can be accepted by the manufacturer of the machine. Also as the subject states above, if you know or have an idea what you put into your built machine, you usually know what you'll get out and/or what you'll have to do to upgrade it.

Collapse -
Fujitsu Scaleo j
by xegut / April 11, 2008 8:40 PM PDT

I compare with my old computer, an Amitec, witch only had half of the system uploaded, and I was unable to download servicepack 2. Allways breaking and always recovering to status. But now I am happy with this new one. By the way, wondering who get the second computer they made, Amitec I meen. Sotis.

Collapse -
Why pay for something you don't need?
by mrskelly / April 11, 2008 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Fujitsu Scaleo j

My 24/7 computer is an IBM tablet which I never leave home without, but as far as desktops go I still need to use one for certain tasks. I don't need a lot of whistles and bells, television shows, games or software I don't use, but I do on occasion need the desktop for some applications. So why pay these giant corporations who are so arrogant that they make you stay on the telephone for 20 minutes and go through menu after menu only to find out that they've put you through to the wrong person for tech assistance, when there's a local guy with a small shop who will put in what I want and only what I want, do repairs and upgrades right there, and charge me way less than the behemoths?
I've had it with supporting people who make more in an hour than I will all week. Any time I can give business to a local shop and help out the local economy rather than give money to one of these megacorporations, it helps everyone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.