TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Poll: Where is the main TV located in your home?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 23, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
Where is the main TV located in your home?

-- On a lowered cabinet.
-- Above a fireplace.
-- Mounted on a wall.
-- Standing alone against the wall.
-- Other location. (Where?)

Get your poll votes in here:
http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2231.html
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Where is the main TV located in your home?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Where is the main TV located in your home?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lee, you left out on a table
by wpgwpg / July 23, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

I think a lot of folks put their main TVs on tables, at least that's where all but 1 of mine are. The one in the master bedroom is on top of a chest of drawers.

Collapse -
projection
by rsknapp / July 23, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

Mine is a ceiling-mounted projection with a pull-down screen. Not accessible easily to anyone, let alone children.

Collapse -
(NT) I agree.. main tv in bedroom on top of chest of drawers
by dmbflorida / July 23, 2013 11:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
What TV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 9:43 AM PDT

A recent article about what the Gen Z are not buying. TV sales are way down. One son doesn't have one and the other uses it for the XBox 360 and no cable to that TV.
Bob

Collapse -
Child Proof the TV...?
by RDouglass1 / July 23, 2013 10:28 AM PDT

I put mine in an entertainment center cabinet with a pull out shelf that it sits on. I then anchored it to the shelf with the Nylon Strap that came with the set for just that purpose. The child, or any other person for that matter, would have to pull the cabinet over, not an easy task, or at least break off the front of the sliding shelf to get it to fall over on them.

Collapse -
TV Mounting
by Ron Geiken / July 23, 2013 10:45 AM PDT

I have a 70 inch DLP, and since I don't have any small children come into the house. I have not seen fit to mount it to the cabinet. If there were, I would have some way of mounting it to the cabinet. I haven't had any youngsters in my house for many a year, so it is not problem for me. If the mounting that it is on is wood, then it shouldn't be too hard to make a suitable mounting that would keep it and the children safe. Not everybody would do something like that, and there is the problem. Easy to mount, and also easy to forget about.

Collapse -
Sony tv stands not so great
by jigmeg / July 23, 2013 10:52 AM PDT

I have several sony tvs around the house and have never liked the stands provided (basically a post screwed into a plate). Wall-mounting seems the safest thing to do with little tykes rug ratting around the house. I have not had any around in decades, but when i did, they would have been able to pull down any stand-mounted LED tv in a second. I hope the industry fixes this somehow...

Collapse -
(NT) on a raised cabinet (not lowered) in bedroom
by dmbflorida / July 23, 2013 11:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
no danger here.
by bl14 / July 23, 2013 11:45 AM PDT

I have my 1992 Quasar on a low storage chest in by bedroom. No kids around, you would need a lot of power to tip it

Collapse -
Smaller children and big sets
by mjd420nova / July 23, 2013 1:28 PM PDT

I once had a four year old topple a 27 inch set on top of herself. The set must have been double her weight but off a four foot shelf it came. I have an articulated wall mount that is on one wall in the corner and will lay flat against either wall of positioned diagonally across the corner for viewing. This allows for bookcases and cabinets below and not encumbered with the set on top.

Collapse -
Base bolted
by mwooge / July 23, 2013 3:02 PM PDT

Mine is on that small, square plate that came with the TV, but I drilled a hole through both plate and cabinet and bolted the two together. That thing is NOT going to tip over.

TW. If you have a safe (and it's probably a good idea) be sure it's bolted to the floor. Otherwise a burglar can walk off with it.

Collapse -
Plasma lift console is the way to go
by scottscreek0 / July 25, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

I can't tell you how much we have enjoyed our plasma lift console. When the 50" Samsung is not being used, it is out of sight in a beautiful cherry console which allows us an unobstructed view out the rear window which otherwise would be blocked as the back wall of our long, narrow living room is the only logical location for the TV.

Collapse -
MAIN TV - Standing alone against the wall
by btljooz / July 25, 2013 4:28 AM PDT

What else would one do with a 52 inch rear projection big screen TV??? Devil

This thing takes 2+ people to lift it because it weighs 255.7 lbs. It stands just under 4 1/2 feet high. It's too tall and too bottom heavy for a kid to be able to tip easily.

There have never been and likely never will be small children in my home so I have no worries. And even if I were to have children in my home they would be supervised and controlled. Supervision is key. Too many parents just do NOT supervise/control their kids as they should. It all boils down to that all to precious and way too scarce commodity - COMMON SENSE. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.