The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Poll: Where do you fall on home security?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 17, 2013 8:20 AM PDT

To give you some perspective to this poll: Read this CNET review on the iSmartAlarm

Where do you fall on home security?

-- I have a professional home security system
-- I think home security systems are a waste of money
-- I am still deciding if I want to go professional or DIY
-- I am getting a dog!

Place your poll votes here: http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2273.html

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: Where do you fall on home security?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: Where do you fall on home security?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
home security
by tedtks / September 17, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

I picked up a ''Swann smartphone monitoring dvr'' 4 camera system for less than $300
I cant hear well, and have a wireless doorbell that has a ringer and flasher to let me know
somone is here... and use the camera's to SEE who is at the door before opening.
got the system on Amazon - and a couple monitors for viewing.
easy to set up and works 24hrs a day. I only have it record during the night hours when I may
be sleeping - yes, it has great night vision. makes an old man feel a bit more comfortable, even
tho I have no qualms in ventilating somebody that kicked the front door open - especially if they
are big enough to do that - solid door and jambs with 2 dead bolts and 5 hinges, custom made.
about the only bother is when a spider decides he likes to be on camera hahaha have to broom him
off. plus you can block areas that give false triggers, like the street traffic.
really nice system for the bucks.

Collapse -
Home security
by cudles41 / September 17, 2013 10:11 AM PDT

Home security is just like gun ownership,something you don't tell others about!
I may or may not own a gun or a security system,that is something that a burglar will have to chance if he wants to break into my home!
I think all those signs & window stickers are just making it easy for thieves to know how to get in.
It should come as a surprise.

Collapse -
Alrams/busy police
by alaskagram / September 17, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

You can have the best alram system in the world and if the police are busy you are screwed.I had a break in at a business,two blocks from my store the police recived an accident call and turned around to respond.I agree with those who say get a dog.

Collapse -
Im Totaly DIY
by crazytrkr / September 17, 2013 11:00 AM PDT

I don't trust anyone with the safety of me and my family except Sam Colt. The cops show up way to late to be of any help. you can not trust anyone to put in a system and not be part of the problem. Even I you get a dog they can pass by it with a good steak. If they come in to my home with their guns blasting I will shoot back.

Collapse -
Can I see someone have good wireless security, first?
by Crash2100 / September 17, 2013 11:03 AM PDT

Professional security systems are such a joke. I would like to see people understanding and securing their wireless electronics a lot better before they waste their time and money on this crap. All the security people really do is tell every person that is suddenly out on their own, about every scary murderer that there ever was. If you pay close attention to the show, you'll notice that the sweet little security people were typically a major fund in getting the TV show. Honestly, unless you live out in somewhere like the Bronx, most people shouldn't worry about this for anything but a business.

Collapse -
RUDE
by briceone / September 17, 2013 2:24 PM PDT

You are so wrong and misguided!

Collapse -
Then explain why...
by Crash2100 / September 18, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: RUDE

If I'm so misguided and wrong, it would help to backup your comment with explaining why this is.
And as I was saying before, if someone wants home security, they should just get a dog. At least that's more pleasant and practical than the majority of your home security systems.

Collapse -
Home Security
by desertdisciple / September 17, 2013 11:50 AM PDT

I have a professionally installed alarm system, dogs, and believe strongly in the 2nd Amendment.

What's best for someone else?
That will likely have to do with one's budget, personal convictions, and specific security needs.

In this day and time, personal preparation to maintain an acceptable level of personal, family, and property security may require some additional research, discussion, and planning.

I'm of the mind that one can be prepared without being paranoid.
(As much as one can carry adequate car insurance, with limits higher than the minimums, without it being indicative of one contemplating a "premeditated accident").

Collapse -
security systems
by briceone / September 17, 2013 2:19 PM PDT

I have been designing security systems for many years within the employment of an International Consultancy. Security systems cover many many different standards, from huge complexes to small projects like homes.
They can cost millions or meager amounts depending on what is needed. Many companies to get orders very often give wrong advice to home owners. That is why Gov't licensing is needed to protect that designs meet minimum standards.

Collapse -
I Guess I'm Just Lucky (or smart)
by Flatworm / September 18, 2013 12:22 AM PDT

I handle home security in the most convenient, effective way possible: I live in a neighborhood so safe that we don't even need to lock our doors or cars (we do, but we really don't do it out of necessity, just habit). It isn't a rich neighborhood or a pastoral rural neighborhood: It is a single-family home in the near-in Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., technically suburban but fully urban in every way, in a neighborhood of small, mixed apartments/single-family homes and a nice shopping center located actually well inside the Beltway, less than a mile from two Metro stops. But in my little non-gated, in no way isolated, enclave, where I have lived since the age of 3 (I'm elderly and retired now), there just plain isn't any crime or violence at all of any kind whatsoever, literally zero over more than three-quarters of a century.

I wouldn't move if I hit the lottery. At least I'm smart enough to know when I've got it good. I have no use for any home security equipment; my door locks are MORE than adequate for my needs.

The key to truly effective home security is to dwell modestly among well-educated people.

Collapse -
fire is about it.
by zclayton3 / September 19, 2013 6:00 AM PDT

I have weapons, three dogs, cats, and a pond full of carp - there will be no body.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.