TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Poll: When it comes to TVs, what brand do you prefer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 11, 2007 7:11 AM PDT

When it comes to TVs, what brand do you prefer?

LG (Why?)
Mitsubishi (Why?)
Panasonic (Why?)
Philips (Why?)
Pioneer (Why?)
Samsung (Why?)
Sharp (Why?)
Sony (Why?)
Toshiba (Why?)
Other (What brand? Or no preference?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: When it comes to TVs, what brand do you prefer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: When it comes to TVs, what brand do you prefer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have owned many brands.
by jcrobso / July 11, 2007 7:51 AM PDT

In the past I have had Panasonic, Magnavox, Sony, NEC, Sharp and Toshiba. I currently have a Samsung and Phillips HDTVs. I tend to stay with well know brands, but I get the set that fits my needs at the time that I'm shopping.
Once I did buy an off brand, ONCE! John

Collapse -
I like Philips!!
by laoyixing / July 12, 2007 1:02 AM PDT

Well,I think Phillips TVs are absolutely wonderful and not too expensive.Panasonic is great too.

Collapse -
Philips - should have stuck to razors :)
by Jillnjase / November 24, 2007 6:19 PM PST
In reply to: I like Philips!!

I am pleased for you!!! Personally with the exception of my Philip razor, every Philips product I have owned has given nothing but grief!!! The razor absolutely fantastic - they do make the best razor on the market!!! TV's Mitsubishi Diva GR8 colour - Sony good colour, Toshiba GR8 colour - all reliable. Mitsubishi 15 years of 12 to 18 hours a day (my ex was a TV addict). I allowed myself to be talked into philips products for the last time when I bought a philips TV. For as long as I can draw air into my lungs I will never buy another Philips product!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
by KandlerN / June 18, 2008 2:48 AM PDT

The Norelco razors rock... but before condeming the company and all its products I suggest trying the Sonicare line... the only people who dont like those, dont brush their teeth

Collapse -
My Samsung has performed very well for nearly 4 years!
by Jeff Salmon / July 12, 2007 8:41 AM PDT

I would probably get another Samsung. I bought a 50" DLP nearly 4 years ago, in spite of lots of doubts. I looked at lots of user threads and there were lots of apparent problems with my particular model, and I was really nervous about reliability and picture quality. Our set has been really great, and the HD picture is super. It's very hard to compare sets in the stores with all the changes to color and other settings that can be modified. My next set will take advantage of the newer technology like LED lighting, HDMI, etc.

Collapse -
4 years?
by slwilkie / July 12, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

Try my Philips 15! In our family we would feel short changed if a set lasted less than 12 years!

People like you are a marketing dream, and all of you who buy TVs like smarties (candy).

Collapse -
Toshiba & Sony
by Ed-duh-win / July 16, 2007 1:32 PM PDT

I like Toshiba and Sony. Right now my parents have a Toshiba TV, but they used to own a Sony TV as well. Its reliable.

Collapse -
I buy SONY
by kodiak53 / July 11, 2007 9:36 AM PDT

For the most part I find that the Sony electronics are more dependable and easier to figure out. I have owned others but always return to the sony brand.

Collapse -
Best Brand for TV?
by jmarkross / July 11, 2007 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I buy SONY

Fortunately, today's market gives many excellent TVs...I buy Toshiba for 1-sharper picture 2-durability. I have had others, good pictures usually--shorter life span though. With so many brands having many nameplates (Thomson-Phillips manufacturing) there are not that many real suppliers. Compared with yearly cost adjustments...the price is laughably low. Being old and decripit, I remember those 1955 21" B/W TVs that cost $600 then (about $3000+ adjusted) and at least once a month the TV man came and sat behind your set fiddling with it until it was fixed, and the whole family would sit and watch his every move. Some people would go to the grocery store "tube tester" and try to fix it...that's another story though. SONY is the only always reliable TV...but my eyes always see those vertical Triniton stripes--Toshibs looks best to me with it's slotted masking.

Collapse -
Sony is the only reliable TV???
by usxinfinity / July 11, 2007 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Brand for TV?

Good luck with that...
Making a statement like that means you haven't owned a Sony for more than 3 years. After the 3 year mark Sony TVs break down like all of the rest.

Collapse -
Sony TVs & electronics
by flytdeck / July 11, 2007 5:41 PM PDT

Still enjoying a 17 year old Sony TV. Though it is now relegated to the spare bedroom, it works well. Every Sony product I have ever owned, with the exception of their wireless telephones, has been satisfactory and reliable. That doesn't mean I do not own other brands, but tend to always compare them to Sony first. Sony sets the standard and many times, in our household, becomes the product of choice.
That said, I love my PSP but am not convinced their playstation will be arriving in our home anytime soon.
Their laptops are exceptional and our very mobile household relies on them extensively.

Collapse -
not recently
by rigelt / July 12, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

I could confirm your message up until 1998. My Sony - 8 yrs running and running. Also another Sony 5 yrs and not the slightest probs.

Collapse -
You must be joking....
by bcboyle / July 16, 2007 2:07 PM PDT

My parent's Sony is 20+ years old and there isnt a single problem with it. Everything I have ever owned from sony has been very reliable.

Collapse -
Uninformed post
by albert1560 / July 19, 2007 1:14 AM PDT

I have two Sony televisions, a 27" bought in 1987 which resides in my bedroom. It's been used almost everyday and has been extremely reliable, obviously. The tuner went out two years ago, but it's now connected to a Directv receiver so it happily operates providing a great looking picture.

The family Sony is a 35" XBR which provides excellent resolution and has performed flawlessly for over 10 years. It displays every line of resolution when DVDs are played back through its composite connections.

I stick with Sony for it's reliability, durability, and excellent picture. That's not to say other TVs are bad, they're not, I just prefer to stick with things that I know work well.

Collapse -
Choice of Home Entertainment Electronics
by slwilkie / July 11, 2007 11:26 PM PDT

I love this subject!

My wife would tend to agree with Sony "loyalists" coming from Hong Kong and remembering the 1980's.

Our family used to buy ITT products, we had a 1975 ITT that lasted 15 years (missed the Sony boom time) and even then it was just the sound that went (so was probably repairable!). I have a second hand ITT music centre which had a recent overhall. The sound is excellent, but the turntable has about had it, I'm sorry to say!

After that the brand of choice became Philips. Dad worked at the Co-operative supermarket and got a good discount and paid monthly. I still have a highly specified (semi) portable from 1992. It has had analogue, cable, digital terestrial and now Sky TV and its picture is still wonderful. My dad's top of the range TV died after only 10 years and my sisters portable one died about three years ago (about the same age as mine). Perhaps I used mine less.

The brand we went for recently was a CRT widescreen 36" Toshiba. It has the "picture frame" style and is everything we were looking for. The remote control is a bit of a let down in terms of durability as its buttons are too soft. But otherwise it is a good product and should last a while.

I was looking for a hard disc back up for my (Toshiba) computer and must confess I was looking for similar or Samsung or Hitachi. I believe that they would never put their name on substandard items and would probably fit the bill. Sure enough the Hitachi (and Toshiba USB memory device) were good value and were even pleasing to look at. Both had a good warranty too.

With a TV, I tend to look around and see what is on offer, in terms of style, price and features (such as contrast ratio or picture in picture). Then I consider other peoples experiences and my own.

With DVD's and audio seperates two names come to mind that I have full confidence in; Pioneer and Yamaha. The CD and DVD players I have are even upgradable so represent good basic engineering to begin with. I checked the consumer reports before I parted with my cash too.

As for Sony, I may loosly consider a TV, but their home audio seems often lacking in clarity and warmed over. Also I remember when there was a huge surcharge for their brand name. Now they are not the market leaders, in my opinion their policy of overpricing has backfired on them.

Having said that I bought an Aiwa (Sony subsidiary) cassette player a year and a half ago, and the quality of sound is excellent! Sonys attempt at a camera and their HD Handycam look competitive too.

Lastly if I do not consider the price competitive, the sound lacking and the styling ugly. There is no way I'm going to buy any product. In short Sony needs to do much more than engineer a good TV in the 1970's and 80's to win my unquestioning support.

Collapse -
It's a tie between Samsung and Sony for me.
by 8IronBob / April 18, 2008 11:21 PM PDT

For me, it's a tie between Samsung and Sony. They both have a joint plant, as you well know, and both make perhaps the best LCDs on the planet, imo. The picture quality on these are better than anything else on the shelf. They also know how to make 120Hz processing look great, too. Looking at the LN46A650 and KDL-46XBR4 side-by-side, I couldn't tell any difference in picture quality or features between the two. They were almost identical in every sense of the word. That made it really tough to decide, but I did go for the Samsung based on price. I don't regret it, the burgundy red doesn't bother me like others are complaining about.

Collapse -
cross brands
by nvisionmd / July 12, 2007 12:22 AM PDT

By the way, Sony happens to be a label sticker company at this point seeing as they don't manufacture tv's either. Sony is made by Samsung (LCD). I have a small Sony which i love, the reason i bought it? PC input with WIDESCREEN resolution support for PC. I had a Samsung previous to my Sony and the reason i switched is due to having 3 panels die within the first 6 months. 3!! As far as home entertainment value and quality i'd have to say that Panasonic is hands down the winner. If not only for the reason of support. 48HR turn around service in home. Can anyone else beat that or even come close? Picture is amazing (as good as Pioneer Elite for the $) , compatibilty of all signal types, great response times and color reproduction. And lets top it off by saying they will be the only company to offer 1080p accross ALL sizes of plasma. Not that i feel the importance of 1080p, however there are a lot of people who want 1080p because they just don't know any better. Probably the 1080p FULL HD Sony propaganda wagon which caused them to think they needed it. Well there's my opinion.

Collapse -
TOSHIBA WHY?
by stewart norrie / July 12, 2007 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: cross brands

Beautiful picture razor sharp d.l.p. t.v. But the best part is customer service Lamp blew after 3 months called customer service and was told lamp was factory defective they were kind enough to send a upgraded lamp in 2 days and also gave me an extra 1 year warrenty on new lamp. stewee

Collapse -
I don't think so.
by curlyhiro / July 13, 2007 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: I buy SONY

My first Sony TV back in the seventies was awsome. Still works today but, since then, every Sony TV I've bought had an electrical problem. Seems they really had a problem with bad connections. Had both of my last TV's have the same problem. Seems to fail after the warranty is over. No more Sony's for me.

Collapse -
Sony
by khuss66 / July 11, 2007 9:49 AM PDT

I have a 17 year old Sony that has fallen to the floor in 2 seperate earthquakes, and still works (despite the broken plastic case.)

Reliability.

Collapse -
Samsung
by jimmy5799 / July 11, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

their monitors are great and have yet to have one that has a problem.

Collapse -
why I choose Panasonic . . .
by Dan Dalrymple / July 11, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

One reason . . . RELIABILITY !!!

I've owned a Panasonic FAX machine for over 15 years with no problems. I've tried many brands but Panasonic seems to be the most reliable of them all. They must have a great engineering department.

Example: I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 5400 digital camera that puked after only about 300 photos. Hundreds of the Nikon 5400s crashed but Nikon offers NO (ZERO) warranty on this camera! This was NOT a cheap camera when purchased. I thought Nikon was a good brand, live and learn. I now own a Panasonic DMC-F27 Lumix digital that has gone thru THOUSANDS of photos with no problems. I use my old Nikon Coolpix for a bookend.

I purchased a Panasonic phone system that works great, we love it. All in all, we've found that Panasonic offers good products with high reliability. We try to purchase Panasonic wherever possible.

Collapse -
PANASONIC
by 1snottyboy / July 11, 2007 10:38 AM PDT

i have to agree. inexpensive and it lasts so long you throw it out
before it quits. the last 27" Panasonic TV($350.00) i had lasted about 15yrs. it finally quit so i could buy a 36" for $450.00. im going to have to give this one to my mom so i can buy a flat screen cause i will die before it does.

Collapse -
Panasonic DMC FZ027
by slwilkie / July 11, 2007 11:42 PM PDT

About a year ago my dad bought the same camera. It had all the features he wanted, the reviews were excellent and the price was just right for the budget. I would bet that his Panasonic will be working for a long time yet. This camera replaces his balda camera, so I hope it will have more use!

I bought a Canon EOS 30D and a Canon Pixma MP450 printer. The Camera was bought for its high speed capability. The printer its multi functions. I had the printer set up in minutes and printed a set of 7 and 8 pictures on A4 direct from the compact flash card this week. I was very pleased with the results!

Collapse -
Toshiba...
by gslrider / July 12, 2007 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic DMC FZ027

My last 3 TVs have been Toshiba. Originally, I bought the first one back in 1997, primarily because it was the least expensive, and I needed a TV. I was happy with the purchase. Quality was satisfactory, and features were more than acceptable. So when it was time for me to upgrade 5 years later, the first TVs I looked at were Toshiba. I looked at other brands, but taking into consideration price, picture quality, and features, Toshiba still came up on top (with JVC coming a close second). And 2 years later I bought another Toshiba, 34", S-video and Component connection.

Of course there were better TVs in the market, even though the picture quality was better, it wasn't THAT much better, that I could justify paying $200 - $300 more.

But those were CRT TVs. With LCD techonology getting better and better, and cheaper and cheaper, there are more brands to chose from. From my own research, I've narrowed my list to LG, Samsung, and Panansonic, when I'm ready to go HD.

Collapse -
TV brand (I prefer JVC)
by jik47 / July 11, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

On my electronics I prefer JVC as they make excellent electronics. I have a 32" JVC for 9 years now with absolutely no problems. TV has a fantastic picture and with the audio hooked through my JVC stereo, Klipsch Heresy speakers, the sound and picture is as good as the movies, if not better. Seriously though, I have JVC stereo equipment, DVD player, and TV and they all have performed flawlessly. Personally I will continue to buy their products they are excellent quality. I will match my TV's picture against any other TV. I have been very happy and satisfied JVC customer and recommend their products.

Collapse -
(NT) think you got the same setup as me.. copycat :-) hehe
by knelson276 / July 11, 2007 10:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
My JVC 20" TV is still going, but try finding them!
by MsIrisMG / July 11, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

Mine is 6.5 years old now, bought November 2000. The headphone jack is squirrely now (which affects the volume), there's no S-video, but the picture is so crisp it makes me cry. I'd love to replace it, when 2009 comes, with another JVC, but I can't find but the huge ones anymore. Gave myself a hernia getting this tube TV up 2 flights, I can't do that anymore.

Seems like JVC made top-flight televisions and crappy VCRs. And they're expensive! I'd like to be brand loyal, but I just might go to Toshiba when this one's time is up.

Collapse -
Not all JVC VCRs are crappy
by aliensquirl / July 11, 2007 1:06 PM PDT

I must disagree with you as I just recently gave away one that I bought in 1986 and it was still working perfectly and was never in the shop. I upgraded to a DVR-VCR combo, otherwise I would still be using it.

Collapse -
Finding JVC
by jik47 / July 12, 2007 3:14 PM PDT

Try REX,Best Buy, and one other good source, Sears. Glad to see someone else likes JVC. You have good taste!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.