Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Poll: When it comes to software updates, I do the following:

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 22, 2008 5:42 AM PDT
When a new software update, patch, or service pack is released to the public, I do the following:

-- Download and install it immediately. (Do any concerns ever cross your mind?)
-- Wait for a few weeks, then download and install it. (Why wait and not download and install it immediately?)
-- Do some research first to see if there are any issues with it, then act accordingly. (What type of research?)
-- Take no action, because I don?t do updates. (Any problems with your machine?)
-- I'm on autopilot and give permission for the software to update itself. (How has that worked out for you?)
-- Other (What is it?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: When it comes to software updates, I do the following:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: When it comes to software updates, I do the following:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Used to do some research...
by sntholiday / August 22, 2008 7:19 AM PDT

Now I just download and install updates immediately. When I had an NVRAID setup I was very reluctant to just let Vista download and install updates. Any updates to the raid drivers could cause the system to fail. Since I no longer use a RAID setup I don'worry about it. Prior to Vista SP1 I recall there was an update that caused the system to be stuck in constant reboot. Since then updates have been trouble-free.

Collapse -
Download and install it immediately
by rgfitz / August 22, 2008 10:44 AM PDT

after checking the applicability to my system. I usually skip Windows Defender.

System restore can always return the system to the state before the update...system restore has always worked for me.

Collapse -
Windows Vista: Poll: When it comes to software updates
by jean harrington / August 22, 2008 11:57 AM PDT

Sorry, I don't use Vista.
I thought it applied to all Windows systems.

Collapse -
by what_now3 / August 22, 2008 12:35 PM PDT

Dell Insprion 1420, Vista Home Premium, I.E. 7. Purchased 2/14/08. Have spent more time with updates,system cleanups, etc. than doing "work". Most use has been email and games. Not ready to trust it with personal info. It has stumbled too much to trust.

I try to download updates on Tuesday but no always successful. On August 12, all downloads failed. Went through the hoops as directed by "self-help" to clear previous this and that.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security, paused it. Clicked off the Pop-up Blocker of the IE or Earthlink toolbar. Then tried download again. Still no luck.

When I check for updates I have to wait a looooooooooong time while it brings up the entire list including the @#$% 8/12. Wish I could delete these or hide them, if they're not going to work. (There must be away since there is a hotlink to "Unhide updates" but I haven't found the "tool".

I had this problem with the SP1 and had to get the Geek Squad to install that. This problem is an on again/off again.

Collapse -
Research prior to installing updates
by Norm.Smith / August 23, 2008 7:31 PM PDT

There must be a large group of people who do not read the caveat given by most update providers. Microsoft mostly lets you know that a patch is either a beta or RC1 prior to a final release. Often there is a warning on the KB description. I have had both successes and failures with patches that are not officially a final release and have had failures even on a final release, especially on a PC that has numerous applications on board. It always pays to do a full maintenance checkup, including Chkdsk and Defrag, otherwise one is inviting trouble. I am wary of many Third party utilities that claim to do wonerful things to improve the PC's performanace. These have been the source of update problems because they have interfered with the configuration thereby bringing a "crash" on updating!!!

Collapse -
Service Patch?
by watertender3c / August 22, 2008 11:57 AM PDT

Please explain the term "Service Patch".
Thank you

Collapse -
I used to install them ASAP, but....
by 7aji88 / August 22, 2008 12:21 PM PDT

I've just bought a new HP laptop, and after installing some updates (from Microsoft, and HP) the laptop started acting funky Sad . It won't get in the sleep mode sometimes, and some buttons won't respond the way they used to, so I restored it and turned off automatic updates until I have to update it.

Collapse -
SP1 Patch and others
by maldelus / August 22, 2008 12:21 PM PDT

If Vista hasn't downloaded the complete patch and upgraded my system accordingly, I look for the reasons why a system might not be upgraded. I still download the downloadable patch and save it to disk while I have the option. Only after eliminating all nagging doubts AND checking with the OEM, will I take the chance at patching my system after I have first cloned my existing system drive to an external hard drive.

Collapse -
Downloading VISTA update
by VE3BDB / August 22, 2008 12:23 PM PDT

In my humble opinion, Lee's reply is a cop-out. He's the expert, supposedly, so why not give us a straight answer instead of simply quoting what others are saying? I, for one, could use that help before I do any downloading.

Collapse -
Wrong thread & Lee's not an 'expert'...
by John.Wilkinson / August 22, 2008 2:28 PM PDT

This thread is concerning the weekly poll, not the Question of the Week, to which you seem to be referring. That aside, Lee is not an expert on such issues. As he states in his member profile, his degree is in psychology, not computer science, and while he is knowledgeable/experienced on various topics there are often others in these forums who are more qualified to directly answer the questions posed. In fact, many of the questions posted require a certain level of personal opinion, so multiple perspectives could not only be correct but also beneficial to the questioner. Thus, the Question of the Week is designed to provide the top answers from fellow members as well as foster further discussion on the matter (the community aspect), not simply a conclusive 'this is the answer' reply from Lee himself. That type of direct Q&A is what CnetTV Live, Ask the Editors Live, and other editor events are designed to provide.

Collapse -
by chanitasambista / August 26, 2008 8:47 AM PDT

how do i stop receiving polls? thank you, chanita

Collapse -
Here's the link...
by John.Wilkinson / August 26, 2008 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: polls

From there you can unsubscribe from whichever newsletter(s) contains them, though you'll need to check your e-mail to find out which one(s) it is.

Hope this helps,
Collapse -
Vista Software Updates.
by Ron Geiken / August 22, 2008 12:48 PM PDT

I usually download and install them ASAP. Windows does a Restore point, so you can go back to before the update if necessary. Several years ago, I had some unpleasant results from installing updates to XP, but for the past year, the Vista updates were installed successfully and the computer always restarted properly and never noticed any problems. If an update causes a problem, just do a restore and do not reinstall that again until you check it out. As of 8/22/2008, my computer has had all the Vista updates installed, and is working fine. I think that these updates are more thoroughly "vetted" then in past years.

Collapse -
Always wait
by rhomp2002 / August 22, 2008 12:51 PM PDT

I have worked in the IT profession for over 45 years and have found through trial and error that there are all too many times when there are bugs in the updates. I prefer to let someone else discover them, thank you very much.

I wait and when it appears that the bugs, if any, have been fixed, then I update. This practice has worked for me very well and I very rarely have problems with updates this way. I think the vendor should have all the problems fixed before release but realize that this is not really possible. Therefore I do the next best thing and let those who jump right on the updates like a dog on a bone do the final testing for the vendors and then I can take advantage of their having solved the problems.

Collapse -
Welcome Linux
by ryaninve / August 22, 2008 12:57 PM PDT

I am still on XP,after windows automatic downloads shut me down on the internet by freezing Zone alarm and not informing anyone I made up my mind to throw them out and install Linux,I am in the middle of reseaching Linux and all the programmes available.All I ever wanted was a computer that would run with no problems Windows is the problem it is flabby and to invasive get rid of Windows Defender it seems to be protecting Windows against other Anti Virus and Firewall Programmes. Windows you have lost another customer I would advise anyone to reseach LINUX and solve most of your problems Neil RYAN

Collapse -
No more updates here
by Webgenie / August 22, 2008 1:23 PM PDT

I have XP, not Vista, but quit updating long ago. I don't like my computer to be messed up. When I use the Belarc Advisor, it tells me I'm missing critical updates, and I can't download certain software that requires the MS updates. The last time I did install something, I was forced to install other MS software to allow the "needed" install. I don't have viruses or spyware and no longer have problems related to updates. When the next Windows comes out (I won't buy Vista), I will probably try to do updates until it teaches me that I'm better off without them.

Collapse -
No more Updates
by ucitsme2 / August 23, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No more updates here

I am almost where you are, No More Updates, besides the room they take up on your computer, I agree No more Up dates.........

Collapse -
I need to know
by chljr / August 22, 2008 1:27 PM PDT

I download and install as soon as I know it is available. The reason is that somebody has to post the problems that are connected to the updates. I backup every night so I will loose very little if anything, only the time to reinstall. I am willing to do this for customers who want/need to know.

Collapse -
just install
by MrMe003 / August 22, 2008 1:41 PM PDT

well, i have all backups so if some goes wrong (never has) then i just install my system again and restore my backups.. maby i lose some hours to do my geeks but maby that install process is a geek thing =)

Collapse -
I try to wait untill there is sufficient feedback,
by sherbisness / August 22, 2008 6:28 PM PDT

In my experience, with any software, that has been recently "updated,improved", especially major updates, I try to wait until there is enough user feedback on cnet, so that I can make an intelligent decision for myself. I dont enjoy being a lab rat for other peoples experiments. Many companies that have great freeware, such as Ad-Aware SE, have updated every year, only to make the product bulkier and slower running. So I kept my SE version, and downloaded Ad-Aware 2007. I use both programs, SE is much faster, and more user friendly. I will not download Ad-Aware 2008, because of user comments. SE by the way is still supported with updates.

Collapse -
windows updates
by gary450 / August 22, 2008 8:06 PM PDT

I usually install updates as soon as I get them.(although not automatically, I like to review them first)I seldom ,if ever,encounter problems.My basic attitude is you will have to install them eventually so might as well do it now.If you dont trust
Windows,who can you trust?

Collapse -
Vista Updating
by aintnorainbowdorothy / August 22, 2008 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: windows updates

I use both Vista 32-bitand 64-bit Ultimate. No I don't use automatic update, instead check them for uefulness first, but then normally install all of them, in fact haven't found one that didn't apply to either OS. Naturally, when it comes to drvers, I go to the manufacturers site, and make sure I have the latest drivers, and if not, install them from there. I use white box computers and would never consider bnuing anything from any manufacturer except Alienware, a company that never puts their own trash on a computer. That way, I know my OS install is clean and I have the disc and key. I can use system restore if necessary as mentioned above. In fact I can't imagine why anyone would buy something from a store instead of having a computer custom-built.

I know, there will be some who put the point in that Alienware is owned by Dell, but that company leaves them alone. In fact, Dell doesn't manufacturer their XPS, instead having Alienware do it.

Updates are important and need to be installed as soon as possible. I have more than 40 years in the computer business, can do everything from networking to coding and programming, as anyone with that much experience should. I have alway installed all updates and upgrades and have found them to be more than satsfactory. In fact, I would consider myself foolish not to.

One caveat though. Although I don't use automatic update and never install driver updates from Microsoft, unless it's a Microsoft product and even then I check to make sure I have the latest upgrade rather than do an install that would just overwrite my existing driver (hopefully), I install all updates and upgrades. As far as waiting until someone else has done the update or upgrade, that's just plain foolishness.

Collapse -
automatic update
by ratmouth / August 22, 2008 9:29 PM PDT

I disabled automatic updates because it would inform me that I needed to update something, but didn't tell me what it would update. I have too much stuff clogging up my computer that I don't know where it came from or what it does. I'm afraid of deleting anything for fear it might be part of something important.

Collapse -
Wouldn't want to look foolish !!
by sherbisness / August 22, 2008 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: automatic update

I have to add to my previous comment. I have microsoft automatic update turned on, and I immediately download any security patches, if they apply to my computer. I opted out of Internet Explorer 7, as long as it was an option. I will excercise my right to choose how much junk they try to update me on. I will decide what goes into my computer. I gladly pay for Norton Internet Security 2008 [and check for updates at least once a day], because I have never had a virus, or worm, and feel well protected. My computer is perfectly clean, and runs like lightning !
If that is foolishness, then I feel like one happy fool !

p.s. I also use Advanced Windows Care, Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, AdAware, all free, and updated daily.

Collapse -
The Norton
by what_now3 / August 23, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

The last Norton I bought when I had a problem. This version would not work from the disk with a built in System OS. It had to be loaded onto the computer which was not working and connect to the internet which could not do. Have they gone back to allowing you to check your computer from the system on the disk?? A wasted $70. I am trying Kaspersky Internet not sure it is any better, but it is not Norton.

Just another @#$%^. When I had bought a version for the Mac, the outside of the box didn't say it was a version I already had. Another $70.

Sorry this is off the Vista thread but wanted to check if the Norton would be something different for the Vista.

Collapse -
Answer to post 23.
by sherbisness / August 23, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: The Norton

I have no idea what version of Norton you bought, or the year, I have been using Norton Internet Security for years without any problems.

You might be talking about Norton 360, which is a completly different product, and doesn't have a high user satisfaction rating.

I never paid more than $39.00 per year. Norton I.S. gets better and faster each year. I am not the only one that loves it. It is the most popular paid security suite on the market. I consider the $30 to $40 per year well spent, and renew it over the internet each year.

Collapse -
Do some research first
by darkdestiny7 / August 22, 2008 10:06 PM PDT

When I was about to install XP SP3 for instance, I did a bit of research first to find out what exactly is the patch for, & check if there have been any problems other users have faced with the new version. Sometimes I would rather wait for patches of loopholes left by the new version to be fixed, but usually I would install them immediately.

Same goes to other software patches.

Collapse -
On Autopilot
by chazGY / August 22, 2008 11:22 PM PDT

Have had my compuer set to auto download and install when I give it the go-ahead ever since I first had a computer back with Windows 95. To this point I have never had a conflict.

Collapse -
by baggage1 / August 23, 2008 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: On Autopilot

I get notified for updates but select that apply to my machine, Compaq laptop Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I research each one and when it applies to the service pack I wait until all the feathers have flown before I install it. I have a duel boot with XP and have yet to install the service pack 3 primarily due to inactivity with that OS. So far no issues at all with Vista.

Collapse -
by wheelzup / August 23, 2008 3:53 AM PDT

I'll download and install them when they are available but not before I back up my files on an external hard drive. Actually that should be done when any kind of update is ready to be downloaded and installed. So far I haven't had any trouble with Vista SP1 or Vista in general. Had one BSOD but I pushed my system too far without a voltage change for my memory...lesson learned. Vista isn't the only software that needs updating so when it comes to other updated software such as Adobe products MS Office and so on I grab those as well. Even Firefox 3 has had to be patched so everyone is not immuned to updates.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.