Mac OS forum

General discussion

Poll: When did you switch over to a Mac?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 15, 2008 5:58 AM PDT

When did you switch over to a Mac?

-- I just switched recently. (How is it working out for you? Any regrets?)
-- 6 months ago (How is it working out for you?)
-- 12 months ago (How is it working out for you?)
-- 1-2 years ago (How is it working out for you?)
-- 2-5 years ago (How is it working out for you?)
-- 6-10 years ago (How is it working out for you?)
-- My first computer was an Apple and I'm still an Apple user. (What was your first Apple computer?)
-- Still contemplating on switching to a Mac. (What's holding you back?)
-- I will never switch to a Mac. (Please tell us why.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: When did you switch over to a Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: When did you switch over to a Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Statistics
by RunningReeder / August 15, 2008 11:36 AM PDT

I want to know why so many people say that they will never switch over to Mac? Why be stubborn on this issue? It's like saying that you don't like a certain food, yet you've never tried it. If you've given Mac a fair chance and don't like it, I have no issues with anyone saying you won't switch over. But if you say that you won't switch, yet have never tried it, you are a fool. There is a reason that it has such a strong following currently.

Collapse -
Exactly the same issue with Vista.
by whizkid454 / August 15, 2008 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: The Statistics

The media gets a hold of an issue that affects a few and turns it into a parade for many.

For the most part, people who actually try Vista like it.

Collapse -
Switching home Computer to top imac in about a month
by rjt_65 / August 15, 2008 11:44 AM PDT

Had it with windows going mac..with 4 ipods in family I may have to buy stock too!

With Iworks kids will not be hampered with school work and compatibility

Nice if apple had some sale for those of us with younger kids and not in college!!

Collapse -
My first computer was a MAC..
by sharee100 / August 15, 2008 12:05 PM PDT

My 2nd computer was an IBM (back then PC meant personal computer and IBM and Mac were both PC's.). At first it was because there was more software for the pc. Now I have a pentium quad core PC and love it. I was forced to use a Mac in a couple of my college courses this year. I hated it. I put the software on my pc and brought my laptop to class. I don't think I will ever voluntarily switch to Mac. They can't even put the close (x) symbol in the right place. Oh, and I'm a senior female and consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about computers (not an expert, but I have built 3 computers from scratch). I do have Vista, it's weird, but I like it so you can tell I am open minded. And I like the Iphone.

Collapse -
That's Weird
by stlouieblues / August 15, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

So you say you originally had a Mac and switched to a PC. You also state you are literate in computers and operating systems......hmmmm.

First off you cannot get the same quality for a cheaper price. You must have had a Mac a long time ago. Prices for similar technology are quite comparable. What really makes me wonder is your statement that a Mac doesn't have the (close) x in the right place. Wow, if that's your comparison criterion, please don't provide any more advice.

I started with the original Mac Classic and had to switch to a PC because of compatibility with work. Now that I'm retired I was able to go back to a Mac. They've changed a lot from the original but so much for the better. Unless your trying to get by with a $495 Dell hunk-o-junk, prices are pretty similar. If you want a desktop, check out the Imac. Laptop, Mac air. Macs have nowhere near the security issues of PCs, I feel they are better quality, and they are definitely easier to learn. If you want to play all the games out there then get a PC. If you want quality and versatility, but love windows, you can run windows on a Mac but not the reverse. GOOD LUCK.

Collapse -
Re: That's weird
by karrenza / August 15, 2008 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: That's Weird

Hey stlouieblues:
I just read your post and agree with it. I used to have a Mac book years ago but was forced to go to PC due to my work situation as well. Now, I am happily back to Mac and have no intentions of ever going back to a PC. I had so many problems with my PC (Viruses and such) that I have never gotten with my husbands iMac. I absolutely love it. It's great having one monitor which has everything in it except for the keyboard and mouse of course. I am looking to get another MAC for myself as my PC just literally blew up last week. I actually celebrated getting rid of it. Do you have any suggestions on which MAC would be a good one? I do unfortunately need to be able to run a few Windows based programs. I see now that MAC has Parrallels and VMFusion out now. Any advice that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I laughed when I read what you said in response to the X to close the window being in the wrong spot on the MAC. Although, it is in a different spot than on PC's, it has been my experience that MAC's are WAY MORE STABLE than PC's. My husband has had his iMAC for 5 years now and we have absolutely no problems with it.

Thanks,
Karrenza

Collapse -
the (x) box
by triathlete / September 12, 2008 11:05 AM PDT

BTW... it's the PC that never got the close (x) box in the right place.

Collapse -
Never
by wizardb / August 15, 2008 12:39 PM PDT

because I would rather pay less for better hardware and chose my OS rather than be spoon fed by the cult o mac!!

Collapse -
You're making unfounded assumptions
by huizhe2 / August 15, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

Some of us who will never switch to a Mac used to be Mac users back in the 1980s and 1990s -- but maybe that's before you were born. Mac has its advantages, but they are few and far between for some of us. One of the biggest disadvantages is the dearth of software for people who aren't interested in graphics or iPodism. A second is the high prices for everything Mac. A third is the dearth of users to talk to about Mac stuff: here in Taiwan, for example, there are very few Mac users. A fourth is the incredible arrogance of the Mac-user community, a reality since Macs first came out. It's no secret that Macs were superior in every way to Windows PCs two decades ago, just as Sony's Betamax was far superior to VHS. But the better VCR system didn't win, and what used to be the better OS and computer hardware won't win now that PCs and Windows have caught and even surpassed Macs in so many ways. Say, didn't I read that the newest iMacs use Intel Core-2 Duo chips that will run Windows?

The issues are money, compatibility, range of available and useful software, and the lack of proprietary controls on what brand of machine a user can run the software on. There are many other issues, such as what type of computer most of my customers use. Almost everyone I know and work for here in Taiwan uses Windows on the desktop and PCs, not Macs, to run Windows on. My university is strictly a Windows PC outfit: thousands of them in administrative and teachers' offices, and in the dozens of PC labs here. Computer courses here assume that students use Windows and PCs. That's the default choice in some places.

There are other things about Mac versus PC (Windows or Linux) to discuss, but it's pointless when talking to fanboys. You and your ilk need to change your attitude about computers and the sanctity of certain operating systems. They are all merely tools to get work done or to play games with. Most will satisfy most users' needs, but none will satisfy everyone's needs unless one is seriously limited and narrow-minded. Some of us have been there and done that already. I will never switch BACK to a Mac. But, hey, that wasn't a possible answer on this poll, was it?

Collapse -
Never switching
by Zonkle / August 15, 2008 7:05 PM PDT

Hey,

It is not for being stubborn, it is because I am a .Net developer, so gonna have to stick with Windows!

I don't have anything against Mac, I actually like em, but it is too late for me now Happy

Collapse -
Nevre switch to a Mac
by 3rdalbum / August 15, 2008 7:10 PM PDT

I can safely say that I will never switch to a Mac.

I owned Macintoshes from 1990 to 2005, but Apple kept obsoleting the hardware I owned, and of course Macs never really had much in the way of upgrade potential. I got sick of buying new computers just to run the latest operating system because the latest programs required the latest operating system.

In 2006 I bought a PC, installed Ubuntu on it, and I'm happy - OS upgrades are still required to run the latest programs, but new versions of Ubuntu are free and don't require hardware upgrades.

Why will I never switch to a Mac? Because I've already been down that route and I definitely made the right decision to get off that upgrade rollercoaster.

Collapse -
What are you talking aboout?
by sicntired / August 16, 2008 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Nevre switch to a Mac

I got my Imac one month before the upgrade to leopard.I know little about computers but there have been no difficulties with obsolesence.The upgrade just costs a few dollars more and everything works fine without it.This might have been a problem way back when but I've heard more complaints about Gates and his imploding software than anything about mac.The mac community is also very helpful if you get in a jam.

Collapse -
Switching to Mac
by cymrojazz / August 15, 2008 7:55 PM PDT

I voted that I would never switch to a Mac, although I would prefer to have ticked I will never stop using PC in favour of a Mac for all my computing needs. I have used both macs and pcs professionally but I use PCs at home because I can build them and upgrade them far more easily than you could a Mac.
In my experience it is only the top end macs that are better than a similarly price PC at certain tasks - video editing for instance. Certain type of Music recording / sampling / editing etc. I say certain type of music editing - I mostly record acoustically and have found that I get equally good results from my home built customised system at home for that ype of recording as I have achieved using a powerbook for a fraction of the cost. I have used pcs and laptops for advanced photo editing, desktop publish (quark) and web development on both and find little difference in the finished result or workflow efficency.
I do have one issue that I'd like clarified - are you allowed to install OSX on a PC? Is it merely a matter of compatibility or is there a licence restriction? If it is the latter that sounds a bit M$ish to me!!

Collapse -
Compatibility
by chuck1jones / August 15, 2008 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Switching to Mac

Compatibility and license are i think both the answers, it is harder to get a system to work on something when there are thousands of possibilities for hardware.... and consider that the mac os costs

Collapse -
other options better than Boot Camp
by waldstille / August 17, 2008 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Compatibility

There are other, much better options for using Windows on a Mac, notably VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop.

Collapse -
Switch to MAC
by bottum feedah / August 17, 2008 3:50 AM PDT

Going great so far! For a couple of years, I've been using MAC hardware to run Windows XP(through BootCamp)with the occasional foray on to OS X. This on a MacPro Desktop and more recently on a MacBook Pro laptop ... Use OS X mostly only to view DVD's (Windows codecs are an issue with me)or some surfing... bit of email... check Website compatibility with SAFARI... or just a break from the Windows GUI. Windows and all my Windows programs work as well or better even. I still use 2 Windows only machines as well. I like having the option to run either OS. I could use Parallels or VMWare but find I spend most of my time in Windows and it doesn't take as much "horsepower" to run one OS at a time... Typically I'll have 6 to 8 different Windows programs open simultaneously(some with multiple files open) running on 3 monitors easily (OS X allows two easily... more with special setup work)... bottom line is I came to the conclusion that everybody should own a MAC at least once in their life... if for nothing else to support an alternative system that's easy to use and to know something of what MAC life is all about compared to the Windows life.

Collapse -
RE:Switching to Mac
by ozzymrjack / September 4, 2008 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Switching to Mac

actually you can run osx on a pc with the help of some patches but it runs way slow and technically its illegal because apple doesnt allow for it's software to run on anything else but an apple computer[its in their end user contract or whatever]!

Collapse -
Agree
by chuck1jones / August 15, 2008 10:11 PM PDT

Completely agree with that. I believe if school (and i am english) are going to teach you the multiple ways you can paint, or you can do multiplication - then they should also give you the opportunity to go on other computers, both linux and mac. I heard from somewhere that in someone's school they had one linux computer and there were always fights over getting to it, well if people were allowed to use linux and get used to the feel of that, why not mac.... the first time i used a mac i knew i wanted one, just by the way it looks and responds to what i can get it to do... i am used to the fact that the "x sign" is in the wrong place and before we get very technical i believe mac had had a graphical user interface before windows, so they got it the right way around, and i think the same applies to the mouse.

Collapse -
Why I will never switch to a Mac
by ny2nv / August 16, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

I have been using Windows since 3.1, I now have 2 Desktops one running Vista, the other running XP and Ubuntu, this one I built from the ground up. My reasons are:
I've tried my friends iMac for 3 months, do not care for the GUI.
The cost factor.
Limited upgradability. more hardware options on the PC.
I love Vista.
no compleling reason to switch.
If they make an OS version that can run on my current PC, I might give it a try.
I dislike the cult of the Mac.
did I say I love Vista, runs as fast as XP and prefer the GUI.

Collapse -
I started with Apple II, used a PC laptop, switched back
by waldstille / August 16, 2008 9:11 AM PDT

My first computer was an Apple IIa. At one point I needed a laptop and had to get a PC. But when Apple started putting out laptops, I bought one as soon as I could afford it. It was obvious to me that I enjoyed working on Apple computers much more. This was of course way back.

I had many friends who used PCs, and because PC software was richer in scope and choice, I did contemplate switching back. I am glad I didn't. Once Apple came out with OSX, it became clear that there were advantages to Macs that were decisive, and furthermore, with time, as OSX progressed, it seemed clear that the difference would only get greater, not less (at one point it did seem as if Windows, by becoming more user-friendly, was closing the gap). Nor is this merely empirical: the Linux system on which OSX is based has a better potential, and despite the commendable efforts of Microsoft developers, they cannot erase the difference. Stability, reliability, ease of use, security... these all seem to be on the side of the Mac, and this is only logical. The only way PCs could ultimately compete with Macs is by junking the PC system and beating Mac at its own game through an even better use of the Linux system! (this is exactly what some miniature notebooks are doing now).

I am not saying that the new PCs don't have things Macs lack, but all in all, I have no doubt about quality in the light of what I have experienced personally and through people I know. My sister, for instance, at the behest of collaborators who all used a certain PC program, switched from a Mac to a PC a few years ago: she held out for two years before switching back to a Mac. I am also appalled by how many of my friends' PCs have had major breakdowns due to viruses or malfunction; this in itself is enough to keep me away from PCs.

What cinches it today is that fact that the Mac can operate as a PC, so the best reason for using a PC -- all those programs you can't get for Mac -- is no longer there. You can have the best of both worlds. Why settle for less? Unless playing games is what you want most to do on your computer...

Collapse -
Some things elude me
by nevido / August 16, 2008 12:39 AM PDT

When you can buy a Mac and run Windoze on it if you want, why would you buy a machine with less options? I started with a Commodore 64 and gone through DOS, FORTRAN, XP and a bunch of others, but I switched to Mac OS because it doesn't take time away from the work I want to do. And if Wendee F. has security worries, she can save the cost of the virus protection software and throw it on a Mac. ;

Collapse -
Its to EXSPENSIVE !!!!!!!!
by gringojo / August 16, 2008 6:12 AM PDT

If you want to buy me an over priced MAC then I will be more than happy to try it Happy

Collapse -
(NT) But it does have a spell checker
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 16, 2008 9:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
There are reasons
by jpachner / November 14, 2008 11:48 AM PST

I switched and am happy but still I feel that essential programs like Word run better on the pc, even Powerpoint. Even considerin gthat I prefer the way the Mac operates. But I do understand those who are concerned about switching because there is a lot to learn, if only because the language is different. Not hard, but different.

Collapse -
Switched right before 9/11
by estoude01 / August 15, 2008 11:39 AM PDT

That's how I remember so specifically.

It was a toilet-seat iBook, running OS X 2.0 (as I recall)). It just didn't give me the crap Windows did, and ran so smoothly for so long at a time, I upgraded to a Power Mac with the acrylic handles, Dual G4 processors; and I have never looked back.

Collapse -
I switched to a Mac about six years ago...
by ratjones / August 15, 2008 11:48 AM PDT

After I purchased my first PC (a no-name cheapo brand) I immediately found myself doing more praying (and using a fair amount of colorful metaphors) than playing... so I bought a decent Gateway - same story - and it sits today unused in my bedroom. I then purchased a Mac G5 tower with 20" Cinema Screen monitor. This computer has not once in 6 years stopped working - and I use it daily in my photography job. I am still using OS X 3.9 although I wish someday soon to upgrade to Version 5.x Leopard. The survey said that 45% of respondents would never switch to a Mac - I feel sorry for those people!

Collapse -
I never liked the Apple I had, even though I wanted to.
by TLR-CO / August 15, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

I purposely sold my PC five years ago and bought a Mac. I don't recall what it was--I bought it at MicroCenter and had two Mac devotees telling me I was doing the smartest thing of my life.

Eight months later I gave it away and bought an HP that the Mac guys shook their heads about. I word process large documents 16 hours a day, seven days a week, but I won't be able to explain the technical aspects of my problems I'm afraid....here goes: I use both WordPerfect and Word to create training manuals, and insert a few images now and then. Maybe I was just too accustomed to the look and menus of the programs I had before, but nothing seemed to work easily for me. I almost made myself sick over the whole thing and was very depressed over the money I spent for something that affected my work negatively. With my HP I just zip along and produce documents like crazy, quickly and easily. (I much prefer WordPerfect, but am finding I have to use Word more often than not, for my clients.)

I likely am just too focused on getting work churned out to care about the nuances of it all, but I won't be going back to Apple any time soon. I only wrote this in case someone like me was considering the change. I researched a zillion sites before I did, but all of them sounded positive, which was why I switched. I wanted to make sure there was one cautionary voice here! Thanks. T.

Collapse -
Why I switched
by jpachner / August 15, 2008 12:20 PM PDT

I switched to Mac and am very happy, especially for graphic and web design work. I do almost everything on the iMac and have even bought a MacBook Pro, which I also appreciate. But I honestly still feel that Word works better on a pc-- it's less cmbersome. Also when I prepare Powerpoint presentations I have to prepare them on the pc in order to ensure that they will run smoothly on the pc where I will need them to work. (When I prepared poweroint presentations on the mac and tested on the pc, it took me hours to get the pictures working right on the pc). But overall I love my Mac because it works!

Collapse -
5 years is a century in computer history
by waldstille / August 16, 2008 4:04 PM PDT

A lot has changed in the last 5 years. 5 years ago I was actually considering switching back to PC and there were some good reasons. But today... I wouldn't think of it!

Collapse -
Using a Intel/Mac!
by jdlaser / August 15, 2008 12:17 PM PDT

Wow, for almost 2 years now using this iMac. I have a copy of Windows XP Home on this system, but only boot it to update 4-5 times a year. I should sell the XP. I have a Desktop running WinXP Home also, but need it for the 250 games and that is the only reason to keep it. Mac OS Leopard runs circles around Windows in all other categories. I tell all to try Mac, laptop or desktop. You may pay more, but there is a reason, you will find out. It will take years for Windows 7, 8, or 9 to catch-up, but they are trying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.