Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Poll: What type of Internet connection do you have? At what speed?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 2, 2009 7:26 AM PDT
What type of Internet connection do you have at home? What's the speed of your connection?

- Cable modem
- Dial-up
- DSL
- Fiber optic
- ISDN
- Satellite
- None
- Other (What is it?)

Don't know what your speed is? Use this tool to find out:
http://www.speed.io/index_en.html
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What type of Internet connection do you have? At what speed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What type of Internet connection do you have? At what speed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
internet speed

very happily getting 2304 kbits/sec with my internet service considering we're 60 miles from the nearest city.

Collapse -
Qwest Fiber-optic
by john55440 / October 2, 2009 11:20 AM PDT

I just got the 12MBPS version of Qwest fiber-optic, which is fiber-to-the-neighborhood.

Speedtest.net rates it 10.3MBPS.

In this area, Qwest also advertises a 20MBPS version.

No cable company, no holes drilled in the wall, no big ugly cables...

Collapse -
Comcast Cable modem

I have Comcast high speed internet, and usually get about 21mbps downloads and 8mbps uploads; though right now I'm getting 18mbps down and 9mbps up. I've been very happy with it, and am always made the Host on Xbox live matches like COD for having such a good connection. I have wireless N for my laptop and cat5e for my 360.

Collapse -
Cable speed

I just upgraded to Comcast's Ultra with Powerboost. They advertise 22Mbs with bursts to 30Mbs down and 7Mbs up. I am getting 42Mbs to 47Mbs up on a consistent basis using Speedtest.net to measure and even 30-35Mbs on my wireless connection 2 rooms away.

Collapse -
Thank you

I have this type.Please tell me if is good.

Collapse -
Or this type(please excuse me)
by silviupetrache / October 2, 2009 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2009-10-03 06:54:59)
Download: 1896 Kbit/s
Upload : 502 kbit/s
Connects : 852 conn/min
Ping: 66 ms

Collapse -
Dial-up modem and the worst and most expensive ISP provider
by Ahmed Azeddine / October 2, 2009 2:42 PM PDT

I am a Dane living in Venezuela: ISP provider:MOVISTAR- Kyocera KPC680 Modem- Price:$71,-/month unlimited GB- Speed:up.9KBits/s, down.34KBits/s- During rush time IMPOSSIBLE to link.

Collapse -
Other (Wireless Broadband)

Not mobile broadband, but WiFi-to-tower. It's the only flavor available at the moment in my area, but hoping the cable comes along in the near future.

Compared to DSL and cable, this connection rates on the low side. Connections are not always reliable, and speeds vary widely at any point throughout the day. Tolerable, but just barely.

Advertised speeds: 2Mbs down/2Mbs up
Actual (avg): 1.5Mbs down/0.7Mbs up

Collapse -
6100 kbps

I have comcast and im happy with the speed. i have excelent speed, with it being 6100 + kbps.

Collapse -
Internet speed in Latvia
by JurisK / October 2, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

(Copied on 2009-10-03 07:38:04)
Download: 9123 Kbit/s
Upload : 763 kbit/s
Connects : 1212 conn/min
Ping: 54 ms

This is just on DSL. Lattelecom is upgrading much of its network to fiber to the home (FTTH) or fiber to the building. Top speeds (for a premium package) of 500 Mbps are planned for the second half of November, 100 Mbps is currently available. There will also be a 200 Mbps offer. All are bundled with Lattelecom's IPTV offering and unlimited calls on the domestic fixed network with no extra charge (flat rate).
See also: http://latviantelecoms.blogspot.com/2009/10/lattelecom-announces-jump-to-500-mbps.html

Collapse -
Broadband speed and monopolies
by Ahmed Azeddine / October 2, 2009 4:33 PM PDT

In Venezuela 3 companies share the Wireless Internet market between Them. Max speed limited to the Dial-up modem speed capacity (154Kbps) but the system is so congestionned and unstable that it varies between 1,5 kbps to short-lived bursts to 112 Kbps max. after midnight and up to 07:00 AM, local time, where download speed will oscillate between 4,5 Kbps to 90 kbps. It is not even sufficient to keep a Winamp 56 Kbps music station running.
1) MOVILNET, which is a subsidiary of the State owned CANTV. Unlimited Internet via Wireless dial-up modem costs Bs. 112,00 ($52,00)a month...
2) MOVITAR, is the formerly TELCEL, then owned by Cisneros, now charges Bs. 153,00 ($71,00 for Unlimited wireless Internet access)but offers a weird service. They just do not care. The attitude is: "If you are not happy, quit". My suspicion is that that they do not invest the necessary resources to provide a good IS and keep the bandwidth for other products like Digital TV. It?s an unarmed robbery. A couple of days ago they increased unilaterally my montly fee from Bs.94,00 to 136,00 (I do no pay VAT because I live in Margarita, a duty free port Island),
3)DIGITEL is a smaller company which has managed to compete with the two above mentioned companies, but lack the financial muscle.
So, any interested company in the US or anywhere else will be welcome to break down the monopolies and high prices of Internet in Venezuela.

Collapse -
speed in Latvia
by djFLWB / October 2, 2009 5:13 PM PDT

Wow! Juris, once that upgrade takes place you'll be able to download something before you even decide on what to download.

Collapse -
DSL speeds

I have AT&T Elite Pro DSL.

(Copied on 2009-10-02 21:57:24)
Download: 4667 Kbit/s
Upload : 642 kbit/s
Connects : 569 conn/min
Ping: 145 ms

Collapse -
Test
by donhk1 / October 2, 2009 3:45 PM PDT

I've got Cox medium speed & used your speed check-o-meter and it came up with a download speed of 7.3M & upload speed of 2.3M I have just been hooked up too Hi-Speed about 5 months and am pretty satisfied with it, compared my old AT&T dial-up! What a "Pain in the Rear-End" that was! dk

Collapse -
Comcast
by djFLWB / October 2, 2009 5:07 PM PDT

They recently upgraded the Comcast in my area.

My upload speed has improved significantly.

Keep this in mind: When running speed tests it makes a difference which speed test you use and where their server is located to bounce the signal. The closer to you the higher your rate should be.

Example:

Download: 9775 Kbit/s
Upload : 5844 kbit/s
Connects : 690 conn/min
Ping: 111 ms

When I run from Speakeasy.net/speedtest to the Atlanta server I get
Download Speed: 21626 kbps (2703.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5509 kbps (688.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

So your results will vary. When I bounce it to Seattle I get
Last Result:
Download Speed: 9974 kbps (1246.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1665 kbps (208.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Collapse -
I have comcast cable in an area with a lot of computers

I ran the speed test and here are the results.
(Copied on 2009-10-03 01:29:17)
Download: 12704 Kbit/s
Upload : 5921 kbit/s
Connects : 692 conn/min
Ping: 144 ms

I did this not from my desktop but my new 300 buck laptop in bed. I also share the connection with two other peoples laptop in the house via a wireless router.

Comcast will sell you more bandwidth if you need it of course.

They are also consistently upgrading their speed as part of their business plan.

Unfortunately I have yet to find any site where this theoretical speed was something I could actually take advantage of in the real world. I never see actual download speeds of 12MBS. That would be really cool. If I am downloading something from a small radio show website where the guy running it is offering downloads for free then it is not going to be very fast,I will just run download managers and get 12 downloads going at the same time to speed it up a bit, but it is still not fast. Obviously you guys know better than me that it is highly unlikely that anyone ever actually downloads at the speeds given through these tests for many reasons involoving limitations in equipment and traffic on both your end and the end of the site you are downloading from. Typically if I am downloading say a game (simple 100MB game I use for the trial period to kill time) the download speed is about 1.5/MBS. So if someone sees their download window and it is nothing close to what they are getting from this or other tests there is nothing wrong and they need to realize there are a slew of things that will lower that speed that is not the fault of the ISP.

Collapse -
Just for kicks I went down to my desktop PC and ran the test
by thomasterrible / October 2, 2009 7:11 PM PDT

Again and here were the results

(Copied on 2009-10-03 02:07:23)
Download: 14603 Kbit/s
Upload : 5984 kbit/s
Connects : 498 conn/min

The results were quite different just by using my better computer which is one of the items I was talking about when this is theoretical speed testing. Of course the faster it clocks at the better off it will be but it is not going to be your true download speed in real life.

Collapse -
I'm happy

Comcast (about $45/month)
Download: 29.90 Mb/s
Upload: 2.56 Mb/s
Ping: 48 ms
Jitter: 0 ms

Collapse -
What is the actual speed that you are downloading from
by thomasterrible / October 2, 2009 8:02 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm happy

the sites that you download from as is indicated in your download manager or window etc.? Have you ever found a site that downloaded at the full speed that your connection is "capable of"?

Collapse -
Internet Connection Rates
by viclud / October 2, 2009 8:42 PM PDT

I use Virgin Media as my ISP, although I was originally with NTLWorld before it was taken over. I pay for the 'up to 10Mbps' package. I consistently get a Download rate of ~9.8 Mbps, and an Upload rate of ~490 kbps (~0.49 Mbps). However, I did have to get a new modem from the Company this year to be able to get the higher rates that I had been paying for for a year but not getting! (My previous Download Rate had been just below 4 Mbps)

Collapse -
Ontario Canada with Cogeco internet speeds
Collapse -
iS THAT ACTUAL OR TEST SPEEDS?
by thomasterrible / October 2, 2009 10:17 PM PDT

I stil have not found a true download speed that it anywhere near what the clocked rate is when in actual use.

Collapse -
Connection speed test
by breve45 / October 2, 2009 10:53 PM PDT

Eastern Canada, small town, DSL connection, wireless router.

(Copied on 2009-10-03 10:16:49)
Download: 6161 Kbit/s
Upload : 384 kbit/s
Connects : 571 conn/min
Ping: 139 ms

Collapse -
Time Warner Road Runner Milwaukee Wisconsin
by SilvrDrgn / October 3, 2009 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Connection speed test

Time Warner Road Runner Milwaukee Wisconsin
Cable modem, business class service, about $42/month
7.7 Mbps download, 1.4 Mbps upload

Collapse -
Blackberry phone as modem

Use a Blackberry Phone as a Modem
getting 260 Kbs
Unlimited Data, text, 2 phones, 800 minutes talk a month,
$ 65.00 a month..

Collapse -
internet connection speed

dialup 45.2 K Not specifically by choice. Bellsouth is not moving on DSL and Cableone is near usury in their pricing. As well, Cableone is not the most reliable provider of any service. If Bell would get going at it, I would switch to dsl but they seem to be sitting on their thumbs one at a time while sucking the other!

Collapse -
Speed Test

I'm on the 'lowest' (cheapest) plan with Cox, so I'm VERY satisfied with my results which are:

(Copied on 2009-10-03 14:54:22)
Download: 1532 Kbit/s
Upload : 298 kbit/s
Connects : 569 conn/min

I think I've got a pretty good deal. This is far above the 'advertised' speeds for my level. (Shhh...don't tell them...LOL!)

Collapse -
Verizon FIOS

We have Verizon FIOS service and I am happy to say I am humming along at 19000 kbit/s on the download and 4721 kbit/s on the upload. I have never had a problem with my service and I would recommend FIOS to anybody who is able to have it installed. We are hard-wired to the drop. I do not trust wireless connections.

Collapse -
broadband speed test

i have virgin broadband 10M

(Copied on 2009-10-04 18:36:46)
Download: 7570 Kbit/s
Upload : 500 kbit/s
Connects : 978 conn/min
Ping: 46 ms

Collapse -
Internet connection

I am using Cable, with a modem. My download speed is over 3000 kbs, upload 1890kbs. It is almost always fast enough for my usage. Needless to say, my provider promises "up to 7 mbs."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.