Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Poll: What type of Internet connection do you have at home?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 19, 2013 8:48 AM PST
What type of Internet connection do you have at home? What's the speed of your connection?

- Cable modem
- Dial-up
- DSL
- Fiber-optic
- ISDN
- Satellite
- None
- Other (What is it?)

What's the speed of your connection?

Place your poll votes here: http://forums.cnet.com/2706-21566_102-2365.html
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What type of Internet connection do you have at home?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What type of Internet connection do you have at home?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
internet connection
by tedtks / December 20, 2013 8:06 AM PST

when I moved - I tried to get re-connected with century link (Qwest) but - the internet line stopped
250 yards before reaching the park I moved into. no plans to expand for the last year.
I went with cable hahahahaha what a joke - the only thing I have left in this area is a wireless
connection which I will be looking into before the end of the year. seems most of the homes
here have it and no complaints - but then we are all OLD people LOL.
Century was excellent 365 days a year. very little slowdown during holidays, like now.
where as cable - I will switch from mail to junk to see whats there - go fix coffee, see whats
on tv, have a smoke and come back to check on progress - still the little spinning circle
doing its thing. takes forever. the faster than anybody cable needs to cut the anchor chain.

Collapse -
I like my cable connection for TV, Internet and Phone
by oterrya / December 20, 2013 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: internet connection

It has been great for us -- see note below.

I also am not OLD yet (only 72).

(Hehehe.)

You might want to try Speedtest to see how fast/slow your connection really is.

Collapse -
speed test
by tedtks / December 20, 2013 4:06 PM PST

it was .028 download and .042 upload
in other words - molasses in dead of winter in Minnesota.
sent them a 'whats up ' question - not a peep back.
even I (68) and faster than that. LOL

Collapse -
My Internet Connection
by sbulger / December 20, 2013 9:08 AM PST

I am switching from Bright House Broadband to Verizon Fios because Bright House internet service slows down too much while streaming video (even when I have 60 Mbps download speed). Hopefully Fios will resolve this problem!

Collapse -
speed
by WAArnold / December 20, 2013 1:41 PM PST
In reply to: My Internet Connection

Sbulger, I'm thinking that if you have 60 Mbps download speed, that I would be checking out my computer equipment. You should be able to stream any video you want at that speed plus others at the same time

Collapse -
Cable (Comcast) It's Great
by oterrya / December 20, 2013 2:50 PM PST

When I moved here 12 years ago, I tried to continue my service through what is now Century Link but could not even get a 1 Meg (download) connection in this area. I therefore severed myself from what was then the traditional phone service and went with what is now Comcast and got a 5 Meg/1 Meg connection for internet, cable for the TV and local phone -- all on the same wire to the house. The speed of internet has increased over the years today it usually ranges from 50-75 Meg/10-15 Meg (right now it tested at 60 Meg/12 Meg). Occasionally they do stuff in the wee hours of the morning but it has been quite reliable for all three services. The telephone has changed to a VOIP service connection off of my internet modem and it has worked well. Right now I am satisfied with my service. I receive offers from what I think of as the telephone folks for "High speed service", but they are not even close to what I am getting over cable. Inside the house I have some stuff on an old 100 Meg wired Ethernet and also an old Wi-Fi that gives me about 50 Meg. Maybe someday I will beef up my inside stuff but currently there seems to be no need and little benefit to do so. I believe that, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Collapse -
My Cable is great
by oterrya / December 29, 2013 12:56 PM PST

Just now I got 71 Meg/11 Meg -- it is consistently pretty good.

Collapse -
I Highly Recommend FiOS
by Flatworm / December 20, 2013 11:12 PM PST

If you can get it, I highly recommend Verizon FiOS. I have 75 Mbps up and 35 Mbps down (they offer several tiers at higher speeds, topping out at 500 Mbps, but these are a little too expensive for my income as a retired person) and my speed on the speed-checking sites consistently exceed these by a significant margin, usually hovering between 84 and 88 Mbps and NEVER as low as 75 Mbps down, and usually about 42 Mbps up).

What Verizon does NOT give you is a competent home wireless router. Their base router uses the obsolete 802.11g protocol and only 10/100 wired, and unless you pay them extra (and by "extra" I mean a hundred bucks for an 802.11n replacement router with a gigabit switch, which is utterly ridiculous) that's all you get.

Collapse -
I use Roadrunner from TWC
by tonyron227 / December 21, 2013 12:34 AM PST

My internet speed is great! I get +55 Mbps down and 5Mbps up and so far there has been no mention of a cap on my downloads...I average over 300 gb per month...

Collapse -
Hey, I think us old people are being discriminated.
by Oldartq / December 28, 2013 11:08 AM PST

Just because we move slow doesn't mean we should have slow internet as well! I envies those of you that has 20-70mbps connections. 500mbps? WOW...I could die for that!!! I have RR from TWC, typically I use to get around 10 but for the last month or 2, I would be lucky if I get 3. I think they want us to upgrade so they are cutting us down.

Collapse -
old people
by tedtks / December 28, 2013 1:54 PM PST

its not just about old people - its about the money. make it slow you you buy in
to their higher tier. just like tv - move the channels people watch to the higher
tier and look at you with that blank look.
they may treat us differently like we dont know what we are doing - when
actually I could run circles around some of the young ones on equipment
and programming hahahaha and not do lousy work !
they do seem to pander a bit like we dont know what we are talking about.
and when I sent their own cable test to them - interesting never heard a word.
molasses is really the word LOL

Collapse -
MONEY...
by Oldartq / December 29, 2013 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: old people

isn't that always the case. I just gave them $10 more per month to see what kind of speed increase I will get (I am subscribing to 20mbps).

Collapse -
Cable - 28 Mbps
by wpgwpg / December 29, 2013 2:45 AM PST

I thought the 20 Mbps I had was fast, but I just got a deal to up it a bit, get more channels, and save a few bucks on the monthly bill. The deal expires in 12 mos., so I've got to be sure to watch out for when that happens. They didn't mention that little detail when they signed me up at the Comcast store. Mischief

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.