Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Poll: What type of device do you use as a portable MP3 player?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 30, 2007 5:13 AM PST
What type of device do you currently use as a portable MP3 player?

Flash-based player (Which one?)
Hard-drive-based player (Which one?)
PDA (Which one?)
Portable gaming device (Which one?)
Cell phone (Which one?)
Laptop (Which one?)
I plan on getting one soon (Which one? How soon?)
I don't plan to get one (Why not?)
I don't need no stinkin' music (Why not?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What type of device do you use as a portable MP3 player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What type of device do you use as a portable MP3 player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
answers in order
by JonTitor / November 30, 2007 5:27 AM PST

sansa e250 (got it for $35)
gmini 402 camcorder (aging gonna upgrade to 605 later)
axim X50v
had GP2X (might get a PSP soon)
inspiron 8600 (want m1330 but might get vostro 1400)
answered in parenthesis
n/a
n/a

Collapse -
woops, skipped phone
by JonTitor / November 30, 2007 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: answers in order

SGH-T629

Collapse -
several
by ktreb / November 30, 2007 5:32 AM PST

Hard drive: iPod 5th gen, iPod Mini 2nd gen
Flash drive: iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle 1st/2nd gen, SanDisk Sansa Express, and 2 SanDisk Sansa Clips

Collapse -
Just one device, for me.
by Bagelsaurusrex / November 30, 2007 6:55 AM PST

For now, I use my 30 GB 1st Generation Zune as my audio workhorse, but I plan on picking up an iPod Touch this holiday season!

Collapse -
Flash Based Creative ZEN 16 GB
by methos1979 / November 30, 2007 10:14 AM PST

Just got (yet another) Creative - this time the new ZEN. I also have a Sony Ericcson Walkman W300 cell phone but since getting the Creative, the Sony only get's used for calls!

Collapse -
flash player
by lobo65 / November 30, 2007 10:50 AM PST

I use a 1gb I-River T-10 flash player for gym use, and a 30gb Creative Zen Vision M for my hard drive player. Both have lasted a long time, and have performed flawlessly.

Collapse -
Love my Zune
by sheywood / November 30, 2007 11:22 AM PST

Last month I won a Microsoft Zune 30GB player at PodcampAZ. I love the Zune! Its MarketPlace is easy to use and smoother than iTunes in my opinion. Although the Zune I won was the "old" model, Microsoft pushed a firmware update that gave it podcast subscription and wireless synch capabilities in mid-November.

In addition to playing mp3 files, it can also play a variety of other file formats, show pictures and video and receive FM radio signals.

Collapse -
IPOD NANO Video (Gen3)
by themarkb / November 30, 2007 11:49 AM PST

IPOD NANO Video 8gb (Gen 3, mainly for the gym

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by valerie_069 / November 30, 2007 11:53 AM PST

I have two my first one that I use is for the gym and so on it is a Dell juke box 30 gig..love it. I also have a Archos media player with a 80 gig hard drive WI-FI enabled. Both are awesome but for different reasons
Papapmedic

Collapse -
Both are Creative
by SuzSM / November 30, 2007 11:55 AM PST

I bought the MuVo 1Gb in Taiwan (man, it was expensive then).
Then bought the Zen Vision M 30 GB the week it arrived in stores in Malaysia. Other than having to use an adapter to charge it, I love this player. On overseas flights I get about 16 hrs + of music. I have movies, too.

Collapse -
ipod and PDA
by ackmondual / November 30, 2007 12:04 PM PST

4th gen 20GB ipod
use for car music. I didn't want to replace my stereo system with one that plays mp3 CDs nor mp3s on hardrive, nor one with an audio in jack, so I got the ipod for its sheer capacity, ease of setting up playlists, and nice interface (easily and quickly rewind, fast forward, switch playlists). I got an iRiver FM transmitter to transmit the music to the car speakers. Only use on LONG trips like 4 hour drive to my folks home or 40 minutes left on a familiar drive

Before I got an ipod, i used my Handspring Visor, then Handspring Visor Neo, Palm Zire 71, and then Palm Tungsten T3. The latter 2 has speaker output. Hardly listened to MP3 this way. Mostly done when I took the Metro to work

Collapse -
Mp3 player
by ellen307 / November 30, 2007 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: ipod and PDA

Have 1 gb sony mp3 player with FM tramsmitter works great for my country music and commercials free. Was not very expensive, could not
afford costly ipod

Ellen

Collapse -
I have too many, but love them all!
by Miss M. / November 30, 2007 12:08 PM PST

I actually have several MP3 players; I mainly use my 80gb 5th Gen Ipod, but I do have a First Gen. Ipod Nano that I use when I need something smaller, and a 2nd Gen. Ipod Mini that is for the same purpose. Also have a 30GB Pink Creative Zen Vision: M, but I don't use that as much since I brought my 80BG Ipod; I will probably sell this one on eBay since it isn't getting used all that much. I'm glad to see that I am not the only on that owns more than one MP3 Player! I always keep more than one because I have had several die on me, so I always like to keep a backup since I eat, sleep and breath music!

Collapse -
I currently have a 30GB Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra
by aka_tripleB / November 30, 2007 12:18 PM PST

But that will soon be given to my sister, because she doesn't have an MP3 yet. She does have her Krzr, but she doesn't like listening to that because she says it drains the battery too fast. I doubt she will have any complaints that the Xtra only does audio, seems how I'm just going to give it to her. She also already has the HP tx1000 tablet PC and a portable DVD player, she doesn't exactly need a MP3 player that can do video. As for me, I'm replacing the Xtra with the new 80GB Zune. I want that one because I record television shows on my Vista PC.

Collapse -
Zen
by Macelliott / December 3, 2007 7:08 AM PST

I recently bought a Zen stone plus for myself and have done a LOT of miles with it in the last year. It gives me a good seven hours after an hours charge and sounds great with the supplied earphones. You don't need any of this licenced music crap either like an ipod so its all good for me.

Collapse -
I just bought a samsung P2
by David_G. / November 30, 2007 12:18 PM PST

Flash player famsung p2 (touch screen) of 4 gig.

ps: And I love it! Grin (I paid 149$ at bestbuy canada :D)

Collapse -
Sansa e260
by tmacke1 / November 30, 2007 12:36 PM PST

Does everything I want it to and I'm not tied to iTunes. Very sturdy.

Collapse -
My MP3 Players
by karol1rw / November 30, 2007 12:41 PM PST

For a very long time (up until a few weeks ago) I used a first generation iPod. It's worked well but being five/six years old it's starting to have problems with the battery and home button. I also used my Tapwave Zodiac 1 which happens to make a really nice MP3 player since it has two SD slots. Although its still a great device and ahead of its time I was ready for something new to replace both devices. I have recently bought a 16gb iPod touch and I have been very happy with it.

Collapse -
Treo 755p
by treocracy / November 30, 2007 12:42 PM PST

I voted PDA but it's the music is all stored on a flash card AND it's a phone - which is why it's the best choice. I didn't know people carried around "portable" laptops to listen to music...?

Collapse -
iPhone, 8 gb of sexyness
by David.C. / November 30, 2007 12:52 PM PST

I love my iPhone. I have like 750 songs, 3 videos (Resevoir Dogs, Boondock Saints and Shooting Ace), 250 photos and still about 1 gig left of space. I had an iPod touch 16 gb and it didn't do enough for me. I love AT&T also, EDGE is wonderful. Yep, I love my iPhone.

Collapse -
Flash drive player
by normfromga / November 30, 2007 1:06 PM PST

I like the Creative Zen models.

I have lost my Zen Nano, so I have ordered a Zen V Plus to replace it.

I prefer Creative Lab products because though they include software with their products, Windows Media Player software works perfectly well with it.

Other advantages the Zen models have over most of their competition:

most can create MP3 files directly from analog sources, such as cassettes and phonographs, and

most of them can erase files instantly, without waiting to hook up to a computer; this is especially handy in paring down used podcasts.

BTW, I have found that my Palm Tungten E PDA has been handy as a substitute while waiting for my new player.

Also, I have not found the FM feature worth the extra cost (one can get a cheap FM player for a couple of dollars at any dollar store), but, in the case of the Creative Lab Zen systems, it is part of any "plus" system with video capabilities.

Collapse -
Zune

had a 30 GB, 80GB one ships monday. !!!!!!

Collapse -
flash player
by paxar57 / November 30, 2007 1:20 PM PST

I have a Zen V plus (4 giga). I love it, but my wife tried it and loved it too, so I gave it to her and bought the new Zen (8 giga) for me from Amazon 3 days ago. Should get it very soon. Just drag and drop files and you are done. And the FM radio is a plus. Who knows, maybe I'll get the V plus back when she sees the new one :).

Collapse -
do not plan on buying a mp3 player
by Dave White / November 30, 2007 1:48 PM PST

I have several music sources as it is right now, I find that one more distraction would not be in my best interest. I have had joggers and the regular pedestrians just walk off the sidewalk right in front of me because they were either fooling around with there mp3 player or cell phone.

Collapse -
hard drive player
by drea720 / November 30, 2007 1:49 PM PST

I have a 12GB TrekStor Vibez. I've had it for about 8 months now, and I love it! I used to have a Dell DJ 15GB, but it died. Sad

Collapse -
My Family's MP3 Devices
by camerams / November 30, 2007 1:58 PM PST

MP3: Just ordered a Sansa e250 MP3 (my sons have Creative Zen V and Creative Zen Photo; I have an old Creative Zen)
Cell Phones: My sons also use their cell phones: LG vx8350, Samsung Juke
Laptop: Just ordered a Dell Inspiron 1521 with Windows Vista on which I plan to listen to music. My son has an HP. Music is always playing.
Planning to buy: An iPod Nano for my 17 year old. It's easier to wear while running. He's fine with the Shuffle, but I don't like that it doesn't have a screen. Think I'll spring for the more expensive one for the holidays.
"Life without music is unthinkable". Leonard Bernstein

Collapse -
audiobooks= my newest addiction
by Wallwoman / November 30, 2007 2:28 PM PST

Flash based player = Cowan iaudio F2 (just ordered a U3 for my husband): has bookmarks, resume, adjustable speed play.. great player
Hard drive based player = Zen W
PDA= none
No Gaming Device
Cell phone= KATANYA Sprint.. was free at Costco and we don't reception for Verizon at our new house.. so Sprint is it. Really like the feel of my Katanya
Laptop= Sony died on me.. sad. no laptop now
I don't need no stinkin music.. I like my books.. I need vocabulary not tunes. I do like IZ from Hawaii, though. Maybe I'll load Wonderful World and be inspired.

Collapse -
cellphone
by rigelt / November 30, 2007 2:52 PM PST

Using Sony Ericsson K810i > 2GB storage and very important to me: FM radio. Device fades away the music at incoming calls and fades back in smoothly when call has ended. Very convenient.

Collapse -
only need tunes while driving
by john3347 / November 30, 2007 3:21 PM PST

I am old enough that I am able to walk down to the mailbox and back without any music in my ears. I do, however, have about 3500 songs from the 50's and 60's saved on my laptop computer that I enjoy listening to while I am driving to some distant destination. I play them through the car audio system with a cassette adapter that plugs into the audio output jack on the computer. My Grandsons call the setup "so 90's", but it works for me. Rather than buying a 12vdc adapter for the computer at something like $75 or more, I use a $20 100watt power inverter and use the 120 v adapter that is standard with the computer to keep things charged and running.

Since I already have the $600 computer, I spent another $100 for a DeLorme Street Atlas 2007 that includes the little yellow thing that sits up on the dashboard to keep track of where you are. Anyone who already has a laptop and needs a GPS device should check this jewel out. ....Oh, this forum is about MP3's though, isn't it?

Collapse -
Samsung rules
by charl114 / November 30, 2007 3:25 PM PST

Samsung YP-Z5 4Gb & Samsung YP-U1 1Gb flash player. Samsung have Ogg Vorbis support on thir players and that remains, for me, the most 'musical' format.
I do not like players that force you to use special software - Drag & drop in windows explorer is more convenient.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.