Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Poll: What e-mail service do you use?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 5, 2010 4:56 AM PST

What e-mail service do you use?

- AOL Mail (How do you like it?)
- Gmail (How do you like it?)
- Windows Live Hotmail (How do you like it?)
- Yahoo Mail (How do you like it?)
- I use the e-mail provided by my cable company
- I use the e-mail provided by my DSL company
- I use my work e-mail
- I use my own e-mail
- Other (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Poll: What e-mail service do you use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Poll: What e-mail service do you use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what email do you use?
by susanai / March 5, 2010 9:36 AM PST

I use Windows Live, My Own [Incredimail], gmail, Yahoo and another.

Collapse -
Outlook Express
by rje49 / March 5, 2010 9:38 AM PST

Which category of those listed would include Outlook Express?

Collapse -
Outlook Express...
by ozziecuttlefish / March 8, 2010 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: Outlook Express

Outlook Express & too Outlook are the two most popular programs(programmes for our Canadian counterparts)used to download your Emails from a Web-based Email Server - eg, G-mail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Live (In Australia, personal Email Severs may include: Internode.on.net, dodo.com, telstra.com. optus.com.au, clearcentral.com.au, tadaustconnect.org.au, etc.)

Outlook Express is the Software Package loaded onto your computer that allows you to download your emails from the Internet, to store on your computer!

Hope this is of use to you,
cheers ozziecuttlefish

Collapse -
MobileMe
by ESUNintel / March 5, 2010 9:54 AM PST

I use MobileMe, works great with my iPhone, Mac's and PC's. I like the iDisk and iWeb features of it as well, and it's ability to locate my iPhone. I have an email account through Comcast, my cable provider, too; but sort of don't use it as much anymore.

Collapse -
incredi mail
by margoverbeet / March 5, 2010 9:59 AM PST

incredi mail worked well for many years, until 1 month ago mail was delivered to wrong (outgoing) mail box, or known addresses went to junk box, several letters never arrived, et c.I tried Getting web mail,it is very confusing, since there are so many names, like Life-mail, Life-hot mail or G.mail, (which is very difficult to delete) It does not aske if you want it as "default" but sets it as default anyway. PLEASE, where do I find a simple e-mail program without chat,messanges to cell phones????

Collapse -
What email do I use?
by sandsurfer13 / March 5, 2010 10:07 AM PST

I use the old faithful Eudora Light, and have been since I got on the Internet in 1996. Needless to say, I love it. It's too bad hardly anyone has even heard of it these days - and most people don't even want to bother to download a FREE email program not affiliated with a browser. The majority use IE's Outlook Express or whatever Micro$oft is shoving out there these days. And those same people whine and complain when their computers get hit by viruses: Why is that? Most viruses are written for the programs most people use - I.E. and its email program.

Collapse -
Email client
by donernst1 / March 5, 2010 10:49 AM PST

Can't imagine why you left out Thunderbird by Mozilla, using it for years.

Collapse -
by Bratkowski / March 5, 2010 11:12 AM PST

I use Eudora Pro. It works for me, though it has no added features aside of *emotions* but some of the incoming mail has a lot of extra fun stuff. It's ok, but I don't need that.
Bob

Collapse -
by hvsteve1 / March 5, 2010 11:31 AM PST

I use Juno (part of Netzero). I started in the good old days when Juno and a bunch of others were offering free internet portals and e-mail. When they started charging I was "grandfathered in" to keep the free service but pay a few dollars a month for the Platinum level. My accounts with Google,Yahoo,and my cable provider all have e-mail accounts which I seldom use. I like keeping Juno because my e-mail address has stayed the same over the years, even when I change my internet provider.

Collapse -
by mparegian / March 5, 2010 12:37 PM PST

Why is Outlook Express not listed??? Is it because it has been dropped by Microsoft with Windows 7 after all these years for Windows Live which is yet just another on-line non-backupable email program???? Are we all going to have to switch to Thunderbird or Incredimail to ensure that our emails are on OUR OWN COMPUTER rather than in the cloud ???

Collapse -
"Why is Outlook Express not listed???"
by rbsjrx / March 5, 2010 5:51 PM PST

Because no real mail clients were listed among the options. Whoever wrote this assumed that everyone is now using webmail. Not so...

Collapse -
Gmail is OK , but....
by rosiejim / March 6, 2010 9:47 PM PST

Had Outlook Express for a couple of years , got used to it and liked it . Gmail is alright but would go back to Outlook Express any day for preference .

Collapse -
by ozziecuttlefish / March 8, 2010 2:01 PM PST

I CANNOT understand the need for people to download their emails that are stored online (Or in a "cloud")!

If your computer crashes bigtime and the chip, motherboard &/or Hard Drive is totally corrupted, then you have lost your precious emails, anyway. If there is a flood or a fire or a theft - you again lose your emails. Where's the sense of this?

Most Internet Email Providers allow you upto 5 Gigabytes of storage space, so WHY would you want to download your emails? I have used "Online Storage" for the past 4 years and highly recommend it! Everything I do on the Internet (Emails and Web research) is stored there. Everything I do on my Computer at home is uploaded to the web-based Storage Site when I close my computer down for the night. If I need a document, or an email - the only thing I need to retrieve it is an Internet connection and a computer. Problem solved! I currently have nearly 500 Gigabytes stored online, which has never cost me anything and I have access to ALL the information 24/7, 365 days a year...

hope this answers your question
cheers ozziecuttlefish

Collapse -
I run my own server
by rbsjrx / March 5, 2010 5:49 PM PST

I've used my own (Debian Linux) server for years. My mail system is private with only a few accounts and customized spam filtering. My wife and I use Thunderbird as our mail clients, although the server also supports webmail when necessary, as well as both POP3 and IMAP4. It all works great!

Collapse -
Email account
by Bijoux / March 5, 2010 6:59 PM PST

I have my own domain name so use that combined with Thunderbird but have ALL emails also going to GMail which acts as a back up system for times that the server is down...

Also use MacMail from time to time;

But the combo of Thunderbird and GMail works well for me including on the iPhone.

Collapse -
Hotmail.com
by kmfncaf / March 5, 2010 9:50 PM PST

I have used hotmail for 10 years. No real complaints, however and this may be with all e-mail accounts. I do not like that when you are typing with hotmail you only have 3 minutes before it goes into your drafts. If you are not using a stopwatch, you may be just typing away, finally look up and it says it has been saved in your drafts bu only 1/2 of what you see is saved. Does gmail or yahoo's work differently? Help is appreciated.

Kevin

Collapse -
Zoho Mail
by campbell2644 / March 6, 2010 12:20 AM PST

I use Zoho Mail - part of the free Zoho suite that includes docs,notes,calendars,presentations etc.
You can bring other accounts via Zoho too.
It's less obtrusive than Gmail with some extra features.

Collapse -
Email Chat and Poll
by YvonneTorres1 / March 6, 2010 12:49 AM PST

I use AOL. I started with AOL when I first got into Internet aboiut a decade ago so I.ve stayed with it out of pure laziness
Why?
I really dunno because it really is the crappiest E-mail service!
I get 'bumped off' regularly because I'm a slow typist, (I'm 85 so speeding up is not an option!). Frequebtly when I'm in the middle of an e-mail reply I get the usual AOL notice that my connection has be (arbitrarilly) discontinued butwould I like to continue in a new page!
No use clicking the equivalent of 'Yes' because one is despatched to limbo whichever option one takes with the inevitable consequence that all one's efforts thus far have been lost!
Like I said, AOL is really ****!

Collapse -
Email ??
by Aitherious / March 6, 2010 1:09 AM PST

It depends on what its for - I use Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail and ISP provided (cable)with my own domain with accounts for business, personal and family. I use Outlook so they all download to my computer and backup is automatic and not an issue. I use Hotmail for junk - every website you visit these days wants an email address! I use Yahoo and Gmail for news letters I actually want from the interenet ie CNET :)for both business and personal. And my ISP provided for business and personal as well.

Collapse -
It's Now Useless
by starman1695 / March 6, 2010 2:37 AM PST

I used to LOVE MyWay, but some fool decided it needed updating and totally destroyed the best email service online. Instead of improving it, they've made it more cumbersome and about 500% slower.

Collapse -
E-mail Service I use
by tlr1013--2008 / March 6, 2010 3:01 AM PST

I use Yahoo Plus, but I have it forward to the Incredimail program on my computer. I've used this for years and have been very happy with it.

Collapse -
(NT) My email is printed out Darrell
by Darrell / March 6, 2010 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: E-mail Service I use
Collapse -
by wshredder / March 6, 2010 10:07 AM PST

Although I have AOL and Hotmail accounts, my primary email client is the one provided by my ISP.

Collapse -
Use Comcast.net & Gmail.com
by burff / March 6, 2010 2:12 PM PST

I really don't love either. But they do provide almost unlimited storage and there's very little worry about problems with downloading emails to a desktop product, like Outlook. I've had more problems with PC based email than any other software, so keeping it away from my hard drive is a good thing.

Each of the free email services are missing functions and/or abilities that desktop products have, mostly convenience type issues.

Collapse -
At home
by msgale / March 6, 2010 3:24 PM PST

Mainly I use Outlook which is part of MS Office. I have about six years of old e-mails on my PC at the current time, close to two gigabytes. Every time I replace my PC I move the all the old main

Collapse -
MSN
by haf canadian / March 7, 2010 6:51 AM PST

We got MSN through Costco when we first went on the internet (dial-up)in 1995. It has gone through many transitions since, with several exasperating metamorphisis attempts involving the so-called "Windows or MSN Live". Through all this we stuck with MSN and have been using MSN Explorer for years now; we are used to it and we intensely dislike changes they seem to think we absolutely have to make on a regular basis. Having to relearn systems and browsers is work for we cyber-challenged, and involves a lot more of our time than today's younger techno-learned people need. I finally sprung for a faster DSL last month, because current webpages are too byte-intense and take too long to load. Wouldn't you know it, now Verizon (ISP)decides they can't supply us with MSN anymore, probably because MSN is coming out with a new, more expensive format that Verizon doesn't want to absorb (in spite of getting more new money out of me per month on a new 2 year contract - irony, huh?). To retain MSN, I'll have to pay MSN a seperate fee (O-boy, another bill in the mail).

To top it all off, a day after learning all this, I get a notice in snail mail from Verizon saying they can't include our cell phone service in their "One Bill" system anymore, and I'll lose features such as free calling between our cell phones and home, among others. And another seperate new bill in the mail from Verizon Wireless. O joy!

I'd switch to Comcast (who offers MSN), our only other local provider, but Consumer Reports (and a sister-in-law who has Comcast) rate them way down the totem pole below Verizon. So if I have problems with Verizon, I'd sure hate to see what Comcast and the others are like.

So after 15 years, we now have to pay MSN for Explorer, or go Hotmail or Verizon.net, and notify everyone we've regularly contacted or done business with, and Forums joined, etc., of new email addresses. Hundreds of notifications. Gee, thanks MSN.

And Gee, thanks Verizon. for aggravating us two more times.

Collapse -
I don't understand
by msgale / March 7, 2010 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: MSN

Your ISP, i.e. Verizon or Comcast has no control which Mail client you use, nor do they control which e-mail service you use. My wife uses Gmail from Google with our ISP (Comcast). I use Outlook with Comcast, Verizon, and Hotmail.

Collapse -
Huh
by haf canadian / March 8, 2010 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: I don't understand

Well, I understand about my Email client, but the point is that in order to keep the client I've had free for 15 years, I now have to pay for it. Typical Verizon: "Surprise! Customer Service with a smile!" "Oh, and by the way, our highly-touted One Bill is now gonna become Two Bills. We appreciate your understanding and value your business." They only appreciate our money.

They conveniently ignore the letters of "understanding" I send to corporate.

Collapse -
Conflicted by Internet Provider...
by wil_peter / March 7, 2010 11:13 PM PST

Since MTS took over Escape back in '99, I've used their email server and Eudora Light program, both for contact list and hard drive storage of messages. A couple of weeks ago, our phone company decided the burden of ever-increasing email conflicts outweighed the gain and dumped all users onto MS Windows Live (unless we were prepared to forgo our existing e-mail addresses and go elsewhere). Eudora is too 'light' to provide a setting for the Port and had to be replaced with Thunderbird 3. However, Moz isn't supported by Live and often fails to Send Outgoing messages. Thus, I'm obliged to use Windows Live Mail for outgoing and T-Bird for incoming (so that I can store them in my PC). It's inconvenient, since I can't quote the incoming message in the outgoing reply. Also, Windows Live doesn't like in or out attachments of MS Access databases (untrustworthy). Such is life.

Collapse -
G-mail & me
by MorrisSouthHound / March 8, 2010 4:30 AM PST

When I had changed to another ISP provider mailboxes or e-mail accounts were not available. I registered with G_mail and found it to be a step back to the "text" days of the 90's. I don't use it unless I have no other choice. My new provider has mailboxes. I check My G-mail messages weekly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.